SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Modern Christianity - what is a Christian?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougr777

Modern Christianity - what is a Christian?

I've been reflecting lately about "Christianity" as it relates to what we might think about the modern church and being a Christian is in the West (North America).

I'm sensing that persecution is coming and it will be a good thing because it will weed out the sheep from the goats. Persecution is something the western American church has really never experience I think and the worst of it is some government regulation and sadly a couple of church shootings which are evil in themselves.

This thinking has made me examine my own faith journey and relationship with God. Not to get into a debate here about "can you lose your salvation", but really how can you know for certain that you are saved correctly? Is it that you said a prayer, go to church, read your Bible, pray, do or don't do certain things that "Christians" do?

It's so easy in America to become a Christian. Just go to a church, have a feeling, say a prayer and BAM your now a Christian. That was how it was for me in 1985. I think for certain I did not understand or count the cost for becoming a Christian, said a prayer and the person said, "Your now in the family of God!", but I was still dealing with sins of my youth for yeras and never truly repented of anything when I was 16 and said the sinner prayer. Now 33 years later, I question that faith act and still deal with alot of issues and question alot.

What is a Christian?

2018/8/12 18:07Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: Modern Christianity - what is a Christian?

Hi Doug: The apostles are set forth as examples of what it means to be a Christian. We are to take our cues from them.

This means of course you will need to examine the New Testament, You will need to read the gospels in order to get the basis of Jesus teachings, then look at the apostles for how they are to be lived out.

'being saved correctly', Well, the person who offered an exclusive 'way' is Jesus, he said Jn 14:6 "I am the way"
Salvation is the gift that is from the Person of Jesus. It's captured in doctrine, explained in creeds, delivered by preaching and teaching but Salvation from God is directly from God himself offered and given by the person of Jesus who is the Christ.
If you're looking for the correct way, you head straight to Jesus in prayer asking him to give to you his salvation and to indwell you by his Spirit.
An extremely important question should arise in your mind. "What is it to be a disciple/Christian/follower of Jesus/saint/child of God/Son of God/Servant of Christ?"

The answer to that is simple, Jesus indwells his sons and daughters by his Holy Spirit, the life that Jesus lived 2000 years ago was meant to be lived out in Doug and Marvin and every other believer. So really what is it to be a Christian? To be a man or woman whom the Spirit of God has freedom to express the life and truth and love of Jesus, as Jesus lived and loved and spoke while in his fleshly body.

I would suggest an excellent sermon, if listened to and heeded will take you a long way toward understanding what it means to be a 'Christian'. It's called 'A grain of wheat' by Major Ian Thomas. It's on the recommended list on the front page of Sermonindex.net.

I believe this sermon encapsulates the gospel and what it means to be a 'Christian' minus so much of the trappings that are thought to be 'Christian' but are not.

I encourage you to have a listen, if you've heard it, listen to it again.

2018/8/13 16:57Profile
readyornot

I was just reading tonight 1 Tim 4
In the Latter times some shall DEPART from the faith,
In the latter times, there sadly will be a falling away both from a personal faith in Jesus Christ and from Scriptural truth. As faithful believers we need to encourage one another Build up one another 1 Thess 5:11 We are to be an Example in v-12 Speech, conduct, love, faith, and Purty. We need to get back to V-13 giving attention to the public reading of the scripture. V-15 Meditate, giving ourself wholly to the scripture, absorbing, continually in the scripture, so that your progress will be evident to all. Oh God ,light the flame 🔥 I once heard ,if your not going forward, your going backwards.
We fall, but Lord help us to fall forward. Love you saints.

2018/8/17 1:08Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Quote:
but really how can you know for certain that you are saved correctly? Is it that you said a prayer, go to church, read your Bible, pray, do or don't do certain things that "Christians" do?

No, none of the above! Although all these things you mentioned, i.e. prayer, reading the Word and living a godly life, will follow one's conversion, they are not by themselves a proof that you know God or are born again.

I will try to explain it in simple terms.

1. Repentance. First comes repentance - which is not as often people think a repetition of prayer, but a change of mind;

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." - Psalm 51:17

"...if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

So you must repent of your sins and believe on the Lord Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins and salvation!

2. The witness of the Spirit
"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God" - Romans 8:16

And that is true! The Spirit of God gives assurance of salvation, not your emotions, not your thoughts or your trust in the prayers you've made. It is taken by faith! And I don't speak of self-delusion but rather the Spirit giving you that knowledge and assurance.

3. "Ye shall know them by their fruits" - Matthew 7:16

The evidence of your conversion will be seen in the life you live thereafter. There must be a change! It just cannot be that everything remains the same as it was before! What was the work of the Lord in your life? Why should anybody believe your testimony if there is no change whatsoever in you before and after 'following Jesus'? The Lord said:

"And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God." - Ezekiel 11:19,20

So a change in your life will follow as well!

I want to lay on your heart to listen to these videos:

https://youtu.be/w8D7Ijmhmzk - "You are known by your fruit" - P. Washer

https://youtu.be/uuabITeO4l8 - Sermon to youths - P. Washer

Brother Paul explains from the Scripture, what is it to be born again, what is the evidence that I am saved.

I hope and pray that you might be blessed by these and that you come to know the Truth, which alone can set you free!

2018/8/17 4:58Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

...being a Christian is all about our relationship with God through Jesus Christ the Lord...it is being turned from darkness to light..from idols to serve the Living God!

"by Grace are you saved, through Faith, and this not of yourself that no one may boast"

"believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved..."

"if you believe with your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead and confess with your mouth that He is Lord, you shall be saved..."

"...this is the work of God, that you believe in the One Whom He has sent.."

"this IS Eternal Life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ Whom You have sent"

2018/8/17 8:13Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy