SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Suggestion Israel could be removed from the world body

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
docs

Suggestion Israel could be removed from the world body

EXCLUSIVE – A United Nations human rights expert is under fire after suggesting Israel could have its member status at the world body suspended over alleged violations of international law.

Michael Lynk, the special rapporteur for human rights in the Palestinian territories, made the remarks at a side event during a July session of the Human Rights Council -- the controversial panel the U.S. withdrew from last month.

Audio of the event, “Human Rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territory: Systematic Violations with Impunity,” was obtained by Fox News from NGO Monitor -- a Jerusalem-based research institute analyzing non-governmental organizations (NGOs) claiming to advance humanitarian agendas.

In that audio, Lynk describes Israel as an “illegal occupant,” and says “the international community has not simply the ability, but also the responsibility and obligation to bring [settlements] to an end.”

He then goes on to say that there are “a number of tools” that the international community can use to bring Israel back in line.

Lynk speaking at the July event. (NGO Monitor)

“It may mean reviewing or suspending Israel’s privileges as a state member in the United Nations,” he says. “It may mean that countries in the world, particularly those with significant trading or political relationships with Israel, would review their relationships with Israel in the military, political, diplomatic, and economic investment spheres. It may mean that Israel would face some forms of restrictions in its abilities to wind up trading.”

Lynk was appointed by the controversial U.N. Human Rights Council in 2016. While rapporteurs such as Lynk serve on a voluntary basis and are not salaried by the U.N., they are provided with technical and logistical help by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), are very influential within the U.N. human rights system and are responsible for producing reports as mandated by the U.N.

Israeli Ambassador Danny Danon said that his latest suggestion was “another reason why the [Human Rights Council] lost its credibility.”

“The U.N. must end its habit of providing the Palestinians an excuse to not engage with us directly,” Danon said in a statement to Fox News. “Mahmoud Abbas knows that actions such as this does nothing to encourage peace; in fact, it actively works against it, and encourages incitement and a culture of hate. This is another reason why the HRC has lost its credibility.”

ISRAEL, HALEY ACCUSE UN OF IGNORING ATTACKS BY 'TERRORIST FLAMING SWASTIKA KITES'

In a report on Lynk, NGO Monitor claimed he has partnerships with organizations that have alleged ties to terror groups and that promote the BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions) campaign, which promotes a boycott of Israel.

Anne Herzberg, NGO Monitor’s U.N. expert, told Fox News that the statement shows Lynk is “unqualified for his role.”

“It is completely inappropriate for a U.N. official charged with independently assessing human rights to behave in such a partisan manner, and speaks to the inappropriate close partnerships with and reliance on radical anti-Israel groups,” she said. “As long as he continues in his position, Lynk compromises the legitimacy of the entire U.N.”

U.S. ambassador to the United Nations blasts the Council for its 'politicized scapegoating of countries with positive human rights records.'

In a response to Fox News, Lynk stood by his comments and said they speak to "the importance of ensuring that nations obey international law and that effective measures should be available to the international community to curb unlawful behaviour by UN member states.”

He said that Israel is in “direct contravention” of more than 40 U.N. Security Council resolutions, including resolutions condemning the building of settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

“What should be done with respect to a member state who clearly defies a body of UNSC resolutions, contrary to their responsibilities under the Charter and as an occupying power?” he said. “If this behaviour is ignored, then the offending member-state will surely take that as a license to continue the prohibited act, and the status of international law will be degraded.”

“If it is clear that Israel has no intent to comply with the repeated direction of the international community, then other measures within the remedial menu should be considered and applied,” he said, adding that similar measures had successfully been used against other countries before.

Both Israel and the U.S. have been fighting against alleged anti-Israel bias at the world body. U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley cited anti-Israel bias as one of the many reasons for the U.S. withdrawal from the Human Rights Council, calling the body “a protector of human rights abusers and a cesspool of political bias.”

Outgoing High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein made repeated headlines for his criticisms of Israel and also President Trump.

Zeid’s replacement is due to be announced within the next few weeks, and that appointment will be seen as a chance by the U.N. to tone down some of its more abrasive rhetoric against Israel and the U.S. (END)

"Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of drunkenness to all the surrounding peoples and I will make Jerusalem a very heavy stone for all peoples..." (Zechariah 12:2-3)

Many people see this as anti-Semitism and overdone bias against Israel. That it is for sure! Yet the true source may be God Himself allowing the increase of international pressure on Israel so as hem them in and begin to cut off their reliance on nations and powers and their own self confidence instead of Him. There is a certain amount of humanism and romanticism regarding the issue of Israel that needs to crumble. This is serious business in God's redemptive plan. Woe to the nations though who enjoy doing such. I look for international pressure to steadily increase against Israel (also part of God's plan) and Jews will one day likely begin to be attacked in the urban centers of the world. The day is to come when all of Israel's lovers and those who they rely on (except the church hopefully) will have deserted them (Jeremiah 30:14).

2018/8/8 11:57Profile
savannah

Re: Suggestion Israel could be removed from the world body

Just as much as anti-semitism is alive and well,
so is Israel-olatry!

Be careful not to fall into either camp!

Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen. Ephesians 6:24

2018/8/8 14:32Profile
docs

Re:

What about my words made you think of Israelolatry? Does having the view that Israel still has a future in God's plan make one guilty of Israelolatry? Christ promised to return to Israel. Is He to be accused of Israelolatry?

Anti-Semitism is surely alive as well as replacement theology. There is much to be careful of.

2018/8/8 15:00Profile
savannah

Re: Heb.12:2

Your words made me think of singing,

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.

TURN YOUR EYES UPON JESUS,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!

His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus... Heb.12:2

2018/8/8 17:37Profile
docs

Re:

Thank you for the hymn. And people who believe Israel still has a future in God very well concur with the song.

2018/8/8 17:57Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

David— I may have asked you this before and if so I apologize but what do you believe Israel’s future in God is based upon? In other words, is their only hope in Jesus Christ or do you believe their future in God has some other basis?

2018/8/8 19:17Profile
docs

Re:

I believe their only hope is in Jesus Christ. All views who believe Israel has a future in God as well as I can tell believe their only hope is in Jesus Christ. No one has ever taught anything different.

God has hid His face from the majority of Israel right now. A temporary and partial blindness is what they are still caught in (Rom 11:25). Job 34:29 says,

"When He gives quietness, who then can make trouble? And when He hides His face, who then can see Him, whether it is against a nation or a man alone?"

We shouldn't presume Israel can find God's face of their own "free will." If God hid Himself from us who among us would be able to find Him except when God chose for us to find Him?

Meanwhile, IF THEY DON'T COME BY THE WAY OF THE CROSS AND THROUGH THE BLOOD OF CHRIST THEY WON'T COME. God will require of them what He has required of us all. It will eventually be said,

"The Gentiles shall know that the house of Israel went into captivity for their iniquity; because they were unfaithful to Me therefore I hid My face from them." (Ezek 39:23)

And,

"And I will not hide My face from them anymore; for I shall have poured out My Spirit on the house of Israel, says the Lord God." (Ezek 39:29).

I believe Christ will return to Israel as sure as He left it.

2018/8/9 8:42Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

David, also.....

"And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem."

"And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn."
Zechariah 12:9-10

Can't get much clearer!

2018/8/9 9:53Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Maybe a bit clearer.

It carries on....

"In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness."
Zechariah 13:1

2018/8/9 9:56Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Can you provide a little more detail as to “how” you believe Israel will come Christ?

2018/8/9 9:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy