SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Spiritual Illumination and Revelation

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Spiritual Illumination and Revelation

That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you a spirit of wisdom, and revelation in the knowledge of Him; having the eyes of your heart enlightened, that you may know... (Ephesians 1:17,18)

And then there is given a list of things to know. And you find that list moves out into the dimensions of the knowledge-surpassing love: “...that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God.” Spiritual illumination leads on to being filled unto all the fullness.

Spiritual illumination, therefore, is a basic thing to God’s end. We can never come to the fullness of Christ by the mere enquiry and investigation of our own brains into spiritual things. There must of necessity be the Holy Spirit giving revelation concerning Christ. The Testimony of Jesus has as its essential law: spiritual illumination and revelation – through the Word. The Testimony of Jesus can never be something static, something that you take up and say: "This is the Testimony of Jesus" and then put it into a formula. The Testimony of Jesus is something that has been revealed. The Testimony of Jesus is: “I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.” Stephen died for that Testimony. “At midday, O king, I saw on the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them that journeyed with me. And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice....” The inner meaning of that is not something apart from the Word, but something that comes by the Holy Ghost through the Word. That is more than the letter; it is Life. It is something that makes you say: “I have read the Scriptures on that for a long time, but I have really never seen that before.”

By T. Austin-Sparks from: Filled Unto All the Fullness of God - Chapter 2

2018/8/5 6:32Profile
amajesticone

Massachusetts

Re: Spiritual Illumination and Revelation

So true! Thanks for sharing this, Mike! I was thinking just this week about how "revelation trumps head knowledge." Many teachings that I was taught and believed with my head have been shattered and dissolved by a revelation. I think it was Tozer who said something like 'in order to understand the scriptures we need to have the same revelation that the person who wrote it had."

Mary

2018/8/5 7:15Profile
Jeremy221

I was talking to a brother about this recently because so much of his comments were based on "line upon line and line upon line" teaching. He refers to the Holy Spirit but doesn't seem have experienced walking by Him. Revelation as he sees it is the result of lots of compemplation. This is indeed good but it's not the only means by which revelation comes. I was exhorting him to read, or listen, to large sections of Scripture because some things can only be seen from a wider perspective. Revelation can also come through God directed experiences as He did to various prophets and apostles. I wonder if some of this is a matter of entering in and/or spiritual giftings.

One thing that revelation does, which is the same as Grace, it is fully unmerited and so does not result in pride. You could argue that if any revelation does result in pride it was not God given.

2018/8/6 2:13Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

...thinking about this in church this past Sunday.

What is the knowledge of God in the face of Jesus Christ?

" this is Eternal Life, that they may Know Thee the Only True God and Jesus Christ Whom Thou hast sent..."

To Know Him is to have inner Light given by the Holy Spirit.
It is to be experientially and actually reconciled, re-united to Him. " we are One spirit with the Lord "

It is by the Spirit only that we can confess: "Jesus Christ is Lord!"

Blessings,

2018/8/6 3:51Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Quote: One thing that revelation does, which is the same as Grace, it is fully unmerited and so does not result in pride. You could argue that if any revelation does result in pride it was not God given.

I would disagree; revelation is spiritual it is a spiritual knowledge a truth a gift from heaven; not based on our merit however the receiver of the revelation could be carnal and that carnality could take that spiritual truth and end up being prideful because of it...

2018/8/6 4:04Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

What is our goal when we read the Word or listen to a message?
Is it to get more head knowledge of doctrine or to know Him better?

The Holy Spirit has come to reveal Jesus to us. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of wisdom and revelation. Only those that are seeking the Lord with all of their hearts will find Him. Only those that have come to the realization that we don’t know any thing as we ought to, “Lord open my eyes”. This is the one that the Lord will reveal Himself to. This knowledge is an experiential knowledge that comes through intimacy.

2018/8/6 7:56Profile
Jeremy221

Re:

You're right Colin. Even Paul talks about this in regard to his thorn in the flesh (2 Cor 12:17). But it is likewise a temptation to be filled with pride for lack of revelation (Rom. 11:25).

Edit: Personally, I am reminded of the grace in receiving revelation whenever I become proud as though the other person should have understood something because it seems so "simple." The reason the thing seemed so simple is because it came by revelation.

2018/8/7 1:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy