SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Revival Forum 1989: Powerful Staggering Interview with Leonard Ravenhill

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19977&forum=34

2018/6/25 7:20
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

The fact remains that Keith Green was a contemporary Christian music singer.

The point is:
There are good contemporary Christian music.
And, there are contemporary Christian music singers who are true Christians.

2018/6/25 9:08Profile

Re:

Keith Green was part of the Jesus Movement which later evolved into CCM.

2018/6/25 12:51
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Keith Green's songs are undeniably contemporary, not traditional.

And they are good.

His immense devotion to the Lord is clearly heard.

2018/6/26 8:15Profile

Re:

Keith's music WAS contemporary in the '70s, but quite dated now. One can hear a few Elton John & Billy Joel riffs in his tunes.

Do some research: the Jesus Movement in the US & Gospel Beat in the UK were late '60s/'70s movements.

CCM is a commercial genre that came AFTERWARDS. What was a grass roots movement became a corporate, commercial enterprise by the 1980s. I remember Michael Card lamenting that his label wouldn't let him release certain tunes that came against sin. The label wanted feel-good tunes. I have a friend who was a founding member of Glad, and played live dates with David Meece, Carman, etc. who pitched a demo to an exec at Word music 20 years ago who responded that if he'd take the exec's homosexual friend out for a good time he'd see what could be done about the recording. Around that same time I was in dialogue with a rep from Hosanna music about writing praise & worship songs. He made it plain that the label wanted a certain number of songs per month, & at least one per month must become a hit, or the contract would be cancelled within six months. I've been onstage with a number of well known CCM artists & could share a lot more along these lines.

That's why I said Leonard Ravenhill would probably condemn COM wholesale...and why I said that there's nothing like the topic of music to rattle the chains of a lot of church folks.

2018/6/26 14:40
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: CalvaryCom

Some call Keith Green a “pioneer” of CCM. But I do not want to argue about this.

I do wonder: If Keith Green had not been endorsed by Leonard Ravenhill and David Wilkerson, would his music have been rejected too?

I do not care about the rotten apples. There are still good ones in the cart.

In sinful Babylon, God gave Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah.

I do see that it is difficult for many young people to listen to traditional tunes as it is for me to read 16th century English.

Anyway, for example, tell me what is objectionable in these songs:

In Christ Alone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNRFumI2ch0

Song genre: Contemporary Christian hymn

Written by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend

Keith Getty
Genres:
Hymns, Celtic, Classical, Christmas, Gospel, Contemporary Worship, Contemporary Christian.

Stuart Townend
Genres:
Contemporary Christian music, hymns, contemporary worship music.

God of All My days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYkZE8AogDE

By Casting Crowns
Genres:
Contemporary, Christian rock.

Resurrection Power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-iG6bRl8Ik

By Chris Tomlin
Genres:
Contemporary worship music, CCM.

John 8:36 -- So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

2018/6/26 23:20Profile

Re:

I've been onstage with the Gettys twice & enjoyed our conversations afterwards.

2018/6/27 5:22
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

My young Christian years were in the 70's, Believe it or not, Keith Green, Don Francisco, Wayne Watson, got play time on Christian radio stations but not all that much. It was difficult then to listen to radical Christian music, by the late 80's it had died out. Rarely would you hear something sung to convict of sin or worldliness. Michael Card and his 'scandalon' was a notable exception but even then the good stuff was never played.

In my area we have a couple of Christian radio stations playing contemporary Christian music...and only those 40 innocuous songs that were good the first few times you listened...but after the 14,568,240th time they get old...and you wonder what kind of Christianity cannot play Christian music directed at the issues of life, not just 'feel-good' moments?
You will NEVER HEAR a scandalon by M.Card or 'asleep in the light' by Keith Green on a Christian radio station any more.

lastly, I have a very different view of 'dated'. So much of Michael Card's music, Don Francisco, John Michael Talbot, Keith Green, Wayne Watson are 40 years old easy...yet they are still anointed and contain the message of God's word needed for today. They are not dated...You know what is dated? A Christian group who seeks to sound like the world, sing about Christianity that Christians wont care for but the ungodly can identify with. For me dated is CCCM...compromised contemporary Christian music.
innocuous, without anointing, repetitive, shallow and me-focused is the 90% of everything played on Christian radio.

I turn it off when I hear it. I know what the anointing of God is, I know what the presence of God is and I know what the power of God is...so much of what I hear is un-identifiable because it lacks all the aforementioned traits.

For the most part I cannot listen to CCM today, the Getty's, Sovereign grace, and a few others are exceptions.

2018/6/27 13:45Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

95% of CCM is as gaggable as pop top 40 radio; never listen to either.

Thank goodness for Spotify where I can make my own worship playlist.

2018/6/27 15:16Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Amen Todd, Pandora to the rescue...Plus I have CD's of most of my oldies and goodies.

I love the old hymns as well ( when theyre not played like a funeral dirge.)

I have no qualms whatsoever to listen to brand new, young Christians singers and musicians...I rejoice that God makes them and I can listen to them. If I were to join a singing trio I would be the second frog with the cricket. Cant sing to save my life, but really appreciate those who do.

I don't care for any kind of rap, but that's a personal preference...lot of folks like rap

I enjoy everything from Haley Westenra ( who is one of the finest singers in the world) singing some Christian songs...to Sovereign Grace...where the songs are anointed and a blessing but the young guy cant hit a note if it were taped on the end of a hammer.

Making your own playlist helps you to winnow out the chaff and keep the good seed for your heart.

2018/6/27 17:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy