SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Using worldy methods to bring in the unsaved

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

What about rock music? It seems to me God used people like Keith Green powerfully. I know there is a lot of so called christian music out there that does not honor God at all.

I just don't see why God can't use different kinds of music (please keep in mind I was once strongly opposed to any christian rock; I thought it was worldly and not of God at all.) But look at the fruit of Keith Green or Dallas Holm, for example. They are not worldly; they have a burning desire for holiness and to see people saved. Both of them knew David Wilkerson, Dallas toured with him for years, and Wilkerson is the last person I would accuse of lukewarmness or producing false converts.

Dominic, I know you love Jesus, so don't take this the wrong way, but you (and me, and every other christian) have to make sure we don't get trapped in a theological box; we can't make the road too broad, but we can't make it narrower than God makes it.

God bless friend.

2018/5/2 20:44Profile
staff

Re:

Hi TMK,
Thats a really great question.I want you to get inside my head a bit before I answer.I have been lead I believe to produce music even though I cant sing or play any instrument.My method of production is this I come up with the music first and the criteria is this,The music has to be Catchy or Beautiful or both.If it isnt the song doesnt go any further.I then put the lyrics to the song.My music is not worship music but Christian music for the unsaved.
For me the benchmark of a modern worship song is hillsong Oceans and im not nessacarily a hillsong fan.With this song they got amazing music and godly lyrics thats up there with any secular music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9nwe9_xzw
Also they got hillsong got it right again with "Healer" if you can look past all the controversy regarding the singer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpR0TNxtS2k.
Again this song has amazing music and thats the basis but only the basis for a great Christian worship song you also have to add the inspired lyrics.So for me the music has to be really good so that you would hum the music even without words in it. Here is a link to my first youtube video of music my stuff.The songs have a Christian message but are mostly not worship and sometimes are just a pointer to one of Gods attributes or a biblical truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQoUJNPDKs&t=14s

Anyway I know its subjective but its not completely subjective some music is just great to almost all people.What is your idea of a good worship song?urs staff

2018/5/3 19:04Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree Hillsong has some very powerful songs lyrically and musically.

I *really* liked your song and video- very well done. It is reminiscent of several artists that I like a lot.

2018/5/3 20:00Profile
staff

Re:

Thanks TMK,
I felt with the SOS song that God was saying John Harper is an unsung hero and I want you to honour him and in doing so some people might ask who is John Harper and why was he a hero.The second song The Big Sleep is a lullaby about waking up and making a song for heaven and earth to sing for God together and then at the end of the day going back to bed.So they tell a little story each and the whole Album(not complete yet due to finances)you get the complete story about who is God ,what are is characteristics and attributes and why I need him in a genre the world might listen too.They are mainly Pop or I call them "POP HYMN" My aim is too put Christian Music's best foot forward .
It is an absolute time consuming and financial struggle but I believe they are inspired and hope for a breakthrough.
I also like the songs bro Frank posts with a singer Aileen Gilchrist ,very effective lyric,music and vocals.I think some are in the SI archive urs staff

2018/5/3 20:28Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I have been reading the book of Ezekiel - have studied it before but it has been a long time.

When I read the prophets, the message they share with the people I wonder how moderns would react? And they spoke as the LORD told them to. Talk about drama, unconventional drama...and God says no one would listen. Hmmmm I see where God is more interested in the speaker being obedient then being successful in his preaching - maybe this is the lesson God wants people to take note of.

Sandra

2018/5/3 20:29Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: Using worldy methods to bring in the unsaved

Talking about worship music I worked in the christian bookshop and used to play christian music every day and review it, I live in Hemel Hempstead and used to go to matt redmans church.

I do not have any problems with songs even some of hillsongs songs such as mighty to save or others, some I do but theologically some worship songs are compleltly of the wall.

When we are measuring standards who's are they? because normally musicians tend to look at the beatles and then compare that to say christian music whilst and say that the beatles is better than christian music. I am just using them as an example.

When it comes to Christian music it is the lyrics and whether music can be placed side by side with the world and you can see any difference.

What I also hate with these types of groups is that use worldly methods is that there is no expostion of scripture, how is a new convert suppose to grew if you do not go through the scriptures, what ends up happening is they become a rapid atheist who has tried christianity and hates it after three years at a mega church

2018/5/5 7:04Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Dom-

I agree that much of today's "Top 40" contemporary worship music that gets a lot of airplay on the radio is very shallow, and with the change of a few words could be a country love song. And they want it that way! Personally, I can't listen to it. On the way to church on Sunday morning I put on the classical station that plays sacred classical music on Sunday mornings. But I have a lot of very good worship music on iTunes and Spotify and I would not call it "pop" Christian music.

You really have to search elsewhere to find deeper Christian music.

I know that you were only using the Beatles as an example, but it is a good one. What if there was a Christian worship band who had the musical creativity and talent of the Beatles?

Staff's point along these lines is that the talent and giftings of truly Christian musical artists should FAR EXCEED that of the Beatles. Why? Because look at Who **should be** inspiring their music!

If there is music in heaven (Not sure about this, scripture doesn't tell us) will it only be mediocre? I sort of doubt that.

I related a dream I had on another thread and in part of that dream there was a worship song playing and I was holding the sheet music in my hand and the music was so overwhelming that all I could do was tremble-- In the dream, I tried to speak to describe it but was physically unable to do so- it was so unutterable I could not get any words out.

2018/5/5 9:14Profile

Re:

I don't see music being used in evangelism in the Bible. It is the preaching of the Word with signs following. Much of Today's western church is powerless so it has to use gimmicks to get an audience. If the blind see, the sick are made well, & the dead are raised to life - as they were in the 1st century church - then gimmicks are unnecessary. Theological arguments are unnecessary. It is simply JESUS being preached & demonstrated as being in our midst.

I've played guitar for 40 years & worked professionally in secular music as well as (mega)church music. Some nice tunes along the way, but they are no replacement for an anointed Word going forth with salvation, healing, & deliverance as the result.

Most of the "successful" churches in the western world today are all about the hashtag, branding, marketing demographics, & big business strats----all wood, hay, & stubble.

2018/5/5 9:47
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//Most of the "successful" churches in the western world today are all about the hashtag, branding, marketing demographics, & big business strats----all wood, hay, & stubble.//

Ain’t that the truth. We had to leave our last church for that very reason. Couldn’t stomach it any longer.

2018/5/5 13:35Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Delta,
Ur Qoute
"When it comes to Christian music it is the lyrics and whether music can be placed side by side with the world and you can see any difference."

For me its the music,the music has to be top class.Why? because the music is the "delivery system" or the "postman" if you like.If the music isnt any good no matter how Godly or theologically sound the lyrics are they dont get delivered,they just wont.I look at it like sending a letter,you have the envelope(the music) and the letter(the lyrics) and the stamp(the quality of the music) or the seal that delivers the letter to its destination.If it has a quality sound it will get delivered over and over again. Put even another way if the music is not important then instead of writing christian songs ,write Christian poetry but Christian poetry is not as effective for a few reasons,urs staff

2018/5/5 14:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy