SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Friendships between Baptists and Pentecostals?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Frank, It is equally true to ask how many Petecostals would protest if Paul came and said that 'tongues' is the least of the gifts and not all spirit filled Christians have that gift? Ref "Do all speak in tongues?". Rhetorical, meaning 'no'.

2018/4/15 13:00Profile

Re:

Actually Dave, as someone who has walked among Pentecostals for over 40 years, I would not agree with your assertion. I have been to churches where their was an over-emphasis on tongues ( not for a long time mind you) and they were clearly wrong specifically because of the Scripture you quoted which makes it plain that not all Spirit filled believers speak in tongues. This is why my favorite Scriptures on the subject is 1 Cor 14. Almost every pentecostal church I have ever been in (hundreds) would have no problem embracing such a church on principal. I have never been to a Baptist church (hundreds, also went to a Baptist Bible school) where this kind of gathering would be acceptable under any circumstances. Quite a contrast dont you think?...........bro Frank

2018/4/15 13:50
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Frank, I was alluding to the petecostal position of tongues as the evidence for baptism of the Spirit. I concede not all Petecostals hold to that view.

I'm not defending the Baptist position, but see both if not all traditions have their blind spots. I too have over many years had and have fellowship with both Pentecostal and Baptist traditions. Not quite 40, but around 36. :)

2018/4/15 14:26Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

I believe that labeling believers as Baptists, Pentecostals, etc. etc. only brings division within the Body of Christ. We tend to have our own preconceived ideas as to what those labels mean, and not all Baptist Churches teach the same thing concerning the Baptism and gifts of the Holy Spirit, and the same is true of Pentecostal Churches. Many people that hear of the name "Pentecostal" think that it relates to
a Pentecostal denomination, but there are Christians from every denomination that have received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, that are Pentecostal, because they have the experience of Pentecost.

The basis of all fellowship is that as born again believers in Jesus Christ, that we have all been made to drink out of the same Spirit. The enemy is behind all of these debates on doctrine. We can still disagree on many things and still remain in fellowship with one another.

It is the will of God that all of the Body of Christ would come to the unity in the faith, and this will only come about if we are allowing the Holy Spirit to lead us and guide us into all of the truth, having a teachable spirit, and speaking the truth in love.

2018/4/15 15:09Profile

Re:

Dave, I think you will agree with me that it is one thing to have a blind spot and quite another to deny and be extremely hostile to the point of expulsion, a major tenet of the NT. That might be akin to saying that the Biblical Jesus is just a blind spot to the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Mormons and so on.

Mike writes............

"I believe that labeling believers as Baptists, Pentecostals, etc. etc. only brings division within the Body of Christ."

Amen and therein lies the problems with denominations, they are, by their very nature, divisions. Surely we cannot be a brick in the wall and at the very same time say that the wall is divisive? The very purpose of a wall is to divide.........bro Frank

2018/4/15 15:16
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Mike,

The fact is they label themselves, it is not us putting the label on.
In labelling themselves they then box themselves in to a doctrinal position that comes with that particular group. Hence the original question, 'Can I being a Pentecostal fellowship with a Baptist?'
Granted many are part of said churches who may not label themselves as such, or box themselves in doctrinally, that said it is a problem of the system.

2018/4/15 16:09Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

@Tyler - I do not know why do you think that the chruch is sick. It was I that posted the question, and the others may (and partly do) have a different view on that.

Actually I know that there are great differencies among churches even of the same denomination. So also among Baptists, Pentecostals etc. My point was that, I do not want to reject somebody who God has accepted. And that is why I love them. At least from what I perceive, this local Baptist church seems to me to strive to follow God in their everyday life. Perhaps some may still find it difficult to accept me, but so were I, I guess several years ago...

I am not for denominations. I believe God has no contract with chruch organisations but rather with people - so just because you are part of a movement / denomination that started out with God in a revival, that does not mean that God has a contract with your denomination (i.e. "I will be with 'Holiness Chruch', 'First Baptist Chuch' or whatever the name... till the end of the world).

@TMK - Yea, I too love how they expound the Bible and dive in it. There are also some among the Pentecostals who do likewise . But (I hope) with time, I learn to rejoice at everybody who is a disciple of Christ, whatever the camp. Cause "those who are born of the Spirit are children of God". :)

2018/4/15 16:19Profile

Re:

Dave writes.......

"The fact is they label themselves, it is not us putting the label on. In labelling themselves they then box themselves in to a doctrinal position that comes with that particular group. Hence the original question, 'Can I being a Pentecostal fellowship with a Baptist?'

That's exactly right Dave.............bro Frank

2018/4/15 16:42
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

So, I go to a baptist church. My mission trips to Kenya have been with an Assemblies of God ministry. When we had a Discipleship Now weekend, we invited a well-loved, well-trusted charismatic couple to teach the students. Just yesterday, we arrived from a Men's Conference hosted by a charismatic church. Are there doctrinal differences? Yes. Are there questions on both sides? Yes. Do some of the more baptist-leaning men in our church grapple with tongues, declarations, etc? Yes. So what do we do? We fellowship! We dialogue about our differences. We hold those men with whom we've been fellowshipping in honor because they CLEARLY love Jesus, CLEARLY are yielding to the Spirit when they are teaching, and CLEARLY love us. And you know what? We do the same with them.

There is a lot to be said about the character of a man when discussing doctrinal differences. My pastor, in my own church, does not see eye-to-eye with me on every doctrinal point. But you know what keeps me from even casting a sideways glance at him? His character. The man clearly loves Jesus and loves people. The fruit of the Spirit is evident in his life. That's why I can simply discuss the differences and come away still loving other brothers and sisters who disagree.

Now, if a man had poor character and disagreed with me on doctrines, I would likely not be able to fellowship with him. That being said, if a man agreed with me on EVERY jot and tittle of doctrine, but had poor character I wouldn't be able to fellowship with him either.

2018/4/15 17:00Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

havok said:

Quote:
Now, if a man had poor character and disagreed with me on doctrines, I would likely not be able to fellowship with him. That being said, if a man agreed with me on EVERY jot and tittle of doctrine, but had poor character I wouldn't be able to fellowship with him either.

Amen. Life is a test of character, not knowledge or skill.

2018/4/15 18:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy