Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Esteeming the Presence - Art Katz

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
JakeforJesus

Dallas, Texas

Re:

"Compton" wrote:

"Regarding the Lord's Supper, there is much interest in this subject these days. Perhaps, you could expound on this a bit more from your perspective."

My Response:

Firstly, I want to thank you for your explanation and your post.

As for your mention of the "TABLE OF THE LORD."

It would be difficult for me to unfold from scripture my perspective concerning the Lord's Supper fully on a format like this.

It would require long posts and many posts for me to do so.

However, I will say somethings about it. And I would be happy to take any questions you may want to ask me about it.

I believe that much of the Church today, the Church as a whole actually, has only a shallow knowledge of "THE TABLE OF THE LORD."

I believe that through more understanding of it, we can come more into a true intimacy with the Lord Jesus, in a way in which we may not had ever known.

If we fully understand the table of the Lord. I don't believe that we will see it as just merely being a ritual in which we do just sometimes or just occasionally in remembrance of the Lord.

Of course, it is a thing we do in rememberance of the Lord. It is that, but also I see it is much more than only that, if we fully realize what we are doing when we partake of it.

I see it as being a place where we can come into a time of intimacy with the Lord, but also as a table of power where we can be strenghtened in spirit, soul and in body, a place where we can be made whole.

I see it as being a festival to the Lord. I believe that if we rightly and fully understand the table of the Lord, it becomes more of a celebration of a love festival to the Lord.

Also I see as being one of the ways, yet not the only way, but a way that we receive the life of God in us.

I believe the time in which we come closest to the Lord, is not when we read the Bible or when we pray, but when we partake of the Lord's table. That is, "IF" we rightly and fully understand the table of the Lord, it is.

I believe that is nescessary that we rightly and fully understand the table of the Lord, if we are to be able to receive the fullness of the benefits of the the Lord's Supper.

For some years now, I have practiced that of partaking of the Lord's table daily in my early morning devotional and prayers times. It's vital to me, and I believe it has served to bring me into a much more closer relationship with the Lord.

Of course, I also partake of the Lord's Supper with a congregation as often as they do.

In just passing, I would like to further note that while I do not agree with all the veiws held by the "Plymouth Brethren." However, as for their practice of the Lord's Supper. I find they are the most biblical today in their practice of it. It's the center of all their fellowship and worship, whenever they come togather as a congregation. I believe that's how it should be. I believe that was also the practice of the early Church.

Someone who are critics of the Church today, have said. Jesus said, to do this "as often as you do it, in rememberance of me," but you do it as seldom.

2005/7/4 19:44Profile
roadsign

other descriptions of the presence of God

I've been meditating on 1 John 1 and 2 and would like to share what I am discovering on the subject of the presence of God:

The word "presence" seems to be expressed in different ways. ex "annointing - ie the Spirit" 1 Jn 2:20 "Knowing" "walk in the light" "live by the truth" , "felllowship with him" ' "his word.. in our lives", "God's love made complete in him".

All of these various descriptions reveal that the presence of God within us is conditional on our willingness to admit our sin (our sinfulness). See 1 Jn 1:9 To the extent that we are blind to our pride, our self-will, our inability to love our neighbour - we are distanced from God.

From these chapters in 1 John I would conclude that all who claim to experience the presence of God, but do not admit their sin, are deceived. They may indeed be experiencing something that comes from God ex the "pillar of fire", the cloud, an emotion, a nice smell of flowers, nice "worshipful" music, religious experience, ecstatic prayers etc. HOWEVER these are all experiences sensed in the flesh. I do not see anywhere in scripture where these types of experiences are any indication that one is abiding in Christ.

Through my own experience some of the most intense times with God was when the Spirit was convicting me - thus drawing me further into repentance. Typically, the greatest times of joy in him followed the greatest times of pain.
Times of deepest grief and weeping for sinners also have brought me into deep sense of his presence.
Diane

2005/7/4 19:45Profile
JakeforJesus

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Hi, Joshua99.

This is just to let you know I read your good post, and I will come back a bit later as I come to have more time to post, and to comment on what you shared with us.

2005/7/4 19:58Profile
Joshua99

Austin Tx.

Re: other descriptions of the presence of God

Quote:
Through my own experience some of the most intense times with God was when the Spirit was convicting me - thus drawing me further into repentance. Typically, the greatest times of joy in him followed the greatest times of pain.

Amen! This is a good path, that leads to walking in the Spirit- resulting a Holy Life, pleasing in His sight!

2005/7/4 21:27Profile
JakeforJesus

Dallas, Texas

Re: How do we stay connected?

Hi, Joshua99.

In an earlier post I had asked "How do we stay connected?"

I liked the answer you gave.

I am going to give my answer.

In John 15:1 (NKJ) the Lord Jesus compares our relationship with Him to a vine and its branches:

"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.

The vinedresser is the one who does the pruning.

In verses 4 and 5, Jesus goes on to say to His disciples:

"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branchers. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."

The branches of the vine do not bear grapes with effort. They do not make resolutions and say: "Now I'm going to bring forth grapes!"

They bear grapes simply by being united to the trunk --- the stock of the vine.

The same life that is in the trunk flows through the branches, and the life in the branches brings forth the appropriate kind of fruit.

Jesus said, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you will remain related to Me --- joined to Me --- you'll bring forth much fruit."

Jesus goes on to talk about pruning.

When a vinedresser prunes a vine, he is ruthless. He cuts the branches all the way back to the stem. You would think the vine is never going to bear fruit again. But the next year, it is more fruitful than before.

Some of our most painful struggles may be the result of bearing fruit. Right now, the Father may be pruning us. If so we should not give up! And not to say, "How could this happened to me?"

Simply yield! Surrender to the vinedresser.

All three Persons of the Godhead are involved in this process of bringing forth fruit.

The Father is the vinedresser.

Jesus is the vine.

And the Holy Spirit is the life that flows through the vine and into the branches.

The Holy Spirit is the one who actually produces the fruit.

It is not the fruit of our best efforts.

It is not the fruit of religion.

It is the fruit of the Holy Spirit.

2005/7/5 18:52Profile
Joshua99

Austin Tx.

Re:

JakeforJesus,

Everything you said is excellent, especially in what you said from John 15:

The branches of the vine do not bear grapes with effort. They do not make resolutions and say: "Now I'm going to bring forth grapes!"

They bear grapes simply by being united to the trunk --- the stock of the vine.

How True! We can not do produce anything within ourselves, pertaining to Holiness and Godly Character.

you also said...

The Holy Spirit is the one who actually produces the fruit.

It is not the fruit of our best efforts.

It is not the fruit of religion.

It is the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Which is the Character of Christ, abiding, living in us and through us. His life living through our temples, to His Glory ,Amen!

:-)

2005/7/5 19:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy