SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Gluttony - the overlooked sin.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Gluttony - the overlooked sin.

Over the past fifteen years or so I have put on perhaps 45 more pounds than my frame and body size require - and I have done so through over eating.

As a man who will not eat without asking God to bless my meal. I don't pray a formula, but simply pray before my meal, with my family, and nestled in the prayer will be my appreciation of how He has provided this meal, and a request that God's blessing rest on the food. From time to time the Holy Spirit would provoke me to examine my eating habits, but I reasoned that I wasn't over eating - even if I was slowly putting on the pounds. It was because my job was sedentary, it was because I chose to spend my time labouring for the Lord and not labouring in a Gym, it was because I opted to be a good father and husband and spend my time with them, surely as a deacon I was busy in the church? My weight was not so much a reflection of gluttony, as it was a reflection of godly choices I was making in my life. At least that is the lie I chose to believe.

A day of reckoning came however, and I got straight with the Lord - I confessed my over-eating for what it was - rebellion, treason, -- sin. I begged God to change my heart in the matter because I knew that while I could make myself obey, that same obedience would be entirely carnal - just me doing what the law requires and hating every minute of it. I begged God to change my attitude so that I could obey and enjoy obeying.

God did. But it didn't happen right away. To be sure, it took months. I found out later that my wife, unbeknownst to me, had been praying as well that God would open my eyes to my problem. She had mentioned it many times, but I, clever in my own opinion, easily convinced myself that her request was over the top. When would I have the time to exercise?

If you are perceptive, you will notice the state of my heart from that last sentence. Immediately my only option was exercise - there was no way I was going to eat less or eat different. If I was going to lose a pound it would not hinder my gluttony one iota.

Well, to make a long story brief, I began to exercise - I began riding my bike to work five days a week (about 20 miles a day). I managed to lose a whole pound in just one week. That was when the Lord really opened my eyes. I began to study just how much effort is required to lose a pound of fat. The experts say it is about 3500 calories. That means that a man my size (205 lbs) would have to jog about eight and a half hours just to lose one pound of fat!

I say the Lord opened my eyes, because with this information, I knew I was never going to lose the weight in any timely way - since the enemy was guarding my gluttony in a mighty and fortified tower.

It is funny what the Lord can use to open your eyes. As I pondered the magnitude of the work that lay before me, I suddenly realized that I was refusing to entertain the possibility of cutting back on my food intake. It simply was out of the question. I began to examine this prayerfully, and suddenly the dam burst! In prayer I saw the enemy clearly, I saw the ground that I had yielded to him, and I saw that I was not the prisoner I imagined myself to be - and in a moment trhough faith alone, I had victory over this sin that had controlled a part of my life for the last fifteen or twenty years.

That was two months ago. I have since lost 20 pounds - not on some fad diet - but just in a genuine repentance from gluttony. Not in begruding obedience to God's "harsh" laws - no way! For God's glory He set me free, and I love Him for the free gift. His yoke is light and the burden now easy!

Praise the Lord, He has saved me from the power of this sin. You could have heard the chains hit the floor when He freed me from this brethren - what a joy!!

I have shared this testimony, just to encourage others who may be calling gluttony by another name, or perhaps making excuses for it. How many sins has the Lord set me free from, and yet every time it is brand new and awesome! Don't sit in jail sinner - the door is open, the fine is paid - step out in faith.

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/6/28 12:41Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re: Gluttony - the overlooked sin.

This is a wonderful testimony brother!

2005/6/28 13:01Profile
Compton

Re:building up the body (In more ways than one!)

Quote:
It is funny what the Lord can use to open your eyes...In prayer I saw the enemy clearly, I saw the ground that I had yielded to him, and I saw that I was not the prisoner I imagined myself to be - and in a moment trhough faith alone, I had victory over this sin that had controlled a part of my life for the last fifteen or twenty years.

Awesome testimony and encouragement brother.

"Then, a little before day, good Christian said, “What a fool am I to lie in a foul-smelling dungeon, when I may as well walk in liberty I have a key in my bosom called Promise, that will, I am sure, open any lock in Doubting Castle.

John Bunyan; Pilgrims' Progress"

2005/6/28 13:43Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Compton, I was thinking that exact thing from Pilgrim's Progress :-)

2005/6/28 13:46Profile
Compton

Re:

Eli,

Yes, aside from the ending, Chapter 7 is the dearest part of Pilgrims' Progress to me. I am gratetful Dann that you have shared this testimony with us.

I guess we can say that you exercised your faith! (sorry everyone...) :lol:

MC

2005/6/28 13:53Profile
dann

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:

I guess we can say that you exercised your faith! (sorry everyone...) :lol:

If I had thought of that, it would have been the name of the thread! that is a wonderful pun.

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/6/28 14:05Profile
Compton

Re:

Thanks Dann,

Seriously, this part of your testimony is so important I believe.

Quote:
It is funny what the Lord can use to open your eyes...In prayer I saw the enemy clearly, I saw the ground that I had yielded to him, and I saw that I was not the prisoner I imagined myself to be - and in a moment trhough faith alone, I had victory over this sin that had controlled a part of my life for the last fifteen or twenty years.

Whether the sin that besets is gluttony or some other bondage, I was blessed by your "eye-witness" account of spiritual things. We know that we walk by faith and not by sight...yet in a way, isn't faith the gift of spiritual sight? Could we say then that we walk by spiritual insight? Not that revelation saves us...but that the Truth of God opens our eyes, confronts us, grows us and matures us.

"When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. "Oh, my lord, what shall we do?" the servant asked. "Don't be afraid," the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them." And Elisha prayed, "O LORD, open his eyes so he may see." Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. "

(Conversely, the rest of II Kings 6 considers how blindness precedes bondage, though the Lord is still merciful.)

I was also touched by the faithfulness of your wife.

Quote:
I found out later that my wife, unbeknownst to me, had been praying as well that God would open my eyes to my problem.

Reminds me of another loving prayer...

""I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe." (Ephesians 1:17-19a.)

MC

2005/6/28 15:18Profile
dann

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
Whether the sin that besets is gluttony or some other bondage,...

Indeed, it was for this very reason that I determined to post it. We serve a faithful God, and it is my hope that bearing witness to His faithfulness will edify others to trust God to do what they cannot do in and of themselves.

No man can change his own heart - can a leopard change his spots? Of course not. Yet I know that many christians are trying daily to do just that. They don't understand how it all works - that is, they don't realize that while we are commanded to be obedient (and all Christians ought to be!), yet it isn't the obedience that changes our hearts - the obedience simply shows us those areas that need to be cleaned by God so that we can ask Him to do it.

In Grace,

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/6/28 15:27Profile

no efforts made can change the heart

From THE NEW HEART. by the REV. C. H. SPURGEON,

Ah, I know I tried a long time to improve myself, but I never did make much of it; I found I had a devil within me when I began, and I had ten devils when I left off. Instead of becoming better, I became worse; I had now got the devil of self-righteousness, of self-trust, and self-conceit, and many others had come and taken up their lodging-place. While I was busy sweeping my house, and garnishing it, behold the one that I sought to get rid of, and which had only gone for a little season, returned and brought with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they entered in and dwelt there. Ah, you may try and reform, dear friends, but you will find you cannot do it, and remember even if you could, still it would not be the work which God requires; He will not have reformation, He will have renovation, He will have a new heart, and not a heart changed a little for the better.

2005/6/28 15:39
Compton

Re: Hopeful

Great posts guys.

The encouragement and confidence shared with one another another reminds me of this verse...

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

I want this verse to become standard operating procedure towards the brothers and sisters in my own life...to be like the character Hopeful was for Christians' life in Pilgrims' Progress.

Many times there was a Hopeful in my life, that has reminded me of God's promises when I needed them most. Some people are needed to point out the prison walls...others are needed to point out the key to the gate.

MC

2005/6/28 16:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy