SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : trinity/oneness

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
chungbu

Tennesee

trinity/oneness

We need to be careful. I know for a fact that there are true trinity believers and true oneness believers. Neither deny the Son of God. There is scripture to support both. We had better be concerned about people being saved and not arguing on petty things. God has nothing to do with all that mess. We need to be careful about judging oneness people who may be saved because God will hold us accountable for it. John 3:16, Acts 2:38

2005/6/27 18:46Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Re: trinity/oneness

chungbu,

If both sides would stick to the Bible, they could have a great discussion.

RT

2005/6/27 18:57Profile
chungbu

Tennesee

Re:

Yes I agree. Whats funny is I accepted Christ at a young age. Knew nothing about the trinity. Nothing about oneness. I don't think I ever paid attention to the word "trinity" until about two years ago. But I have tried to imagine my believing either side and when doing so, I could see belief in the Son of God. Neither belief takes away Christ's deity which I think is very important. Sincerely, Michael

2005/6/27 19:41Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Re:

chungbu,

The word "trinity" is not in the Bible. Makes you wonder why the apostles saw no need for it...especially if we are to build on their foundation. Just a thought.

Quote:
Whats funny is I accepted Christ at a young age.

What do you mean by "accepted Christ"? This is not a Biblical term or concept that is stressed. Especially not one for salvation. We see that in order to come into the new covenant of God a man must repent, believe, be baptized, receive the Spirit. Now if you mean that you "received" the Spirit of Jesus Christ that is wonderful. But if not, please let me know what you did mean.

RT

2005/6/28 21:32Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
What do you mean by "accepted Christ"? This is not a Biblical term or concept that is stressed.

Actually it is a biblical concept but it is quite different to the concept of 'accepting/receiving Christ' which has developed from our counselling techniques.“He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:”
(John 1:11-12, KJVS)

“As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:”
(Col. 2:6, KJVS)
In this context the letter to the Colossians is priceless. Paul did not know them personally but had received sufficient information from Epaphras to know that they had 'accepted/received Christ Jesus the Lord'. The information that Paul based his statement on is contained within the letter, so we have a biblical definition of what it really means to 'accept/receive Christ'.

2005/6/29 5:37Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
The word "trinity" is not in the Bible. Makes you wonder why the apostles saw no need for it...especially if we are to build on their foundation. Just a thought.

You are right but 'trinity' does not claim to be a biblical word; it is a a theological word, like Christological or Christo-centric. These are not biblical words but they are certainly biblical concepts.

2005/6/29 5:40Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re: trinity/oneness

Quote:
We had better be concerned about people being saved and not arguing on petty things.

Hi Chungbu, I agree with the first part of this but I don't believe the discussion of the essense/nature of God a petty thing.

2005/6/29 8:56Profile
chungbu

Tennesee

Re:

Rt you said it best. (repent, baptised). Thats what happened. Ron B gave some good insight too. the word accept has become so common we use it alot. Nasher I agree with you in that we cannot have just any view of the Godhead but i still think we can go overboard. The way JW and cultlike view Jesus as angel, or prophet,ect is serious but I cannot put a oneness believer in that same category. They believe Jesus as Son, also as God so therefore Saviour. I think we take the Godhead overboard when, for example,TD Jakes confesses the same salvation that we have, but because he has the oneness view people say: hes not saved. Thats dangerous. The two absolutes: 1) there is a God, 2) I'm not Him. since I'm not God, I do not have the power to look into TD Jakes heart to see if hes saved or not. It is wrong to "play" the role of God in that sense, and that, to me, is when we can make that sort of thing,"petty". Sincerely, Michael

2005/6/29 10:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy