SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Have we become so immune???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Have we become so immune???

I'm surprised that no one has posted about the recent shooting that took place at a high school in Parkland Florida. Or am I the only one that is aware of this.

Have we become so immune that when we hear of these tragedies thay we just tune them out? Seventeen lives were lost. Families are grieving over the loss of loved ones. The community has been impacted. Is anybody in the forum aware of this? If not then Google. The news will come up.

The irony in all of this is that Parkland FL was voted as one of America's safest cities. A whole community of over 35,000 people has been shaken buy a tragedy at a local high school.

Perhaps God is giving us a message here. Ultimately our security and safety are in the Lord Jesus Christ.

But again have we become so immune to tragedy that we just tune it out? It is far easier to discuss the origins of the Lord's Supper or to discuss raising our hands in worship. Or pick your theological topic.

It is far easier to debate these things than to deal with the realities of a dark world. Because of the nature of my ministry of praying for those who are in the shadow of the cross. The story does impact me. I try to sense the pain of those losing a loved one. The students went to school thinking that they would be just one carefree day. Evidently 17 of them have entered into eternity. Seventeen families are grieving.

But have we become so immune that we have forgotten the tragedy of 26 Saints martyred in Texas back in November of 2017? Or those lives lost in the Las Vegas shootings. Are we becoming so immune to tragedy that we are losing our humanity? That we are losing our compassion?

But then probably nobody in this forum has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. So why bother to put this up on the board? For that matter why even bother to post about the persecuted church?

But then I can only hope that somebody who reads this as well as the sufferings thread will have a heart to pray for those who are in affliction and suffering.

Okay back to your theological discussions.

Blaine

2018/2/15 16:41
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: Have we become so immune???

When I read the story I wept, I prayed, I was shocked. Yesterday was another day of infamy where a murderer found his easy victims.

Is God saying anything? To me yes, I see it as a billboard.
"Because you have forsaken me, I have forsaken your children". Murder sprees, LGBT propaganda, sexual perversions and distortion of identity, drugs, lostness and nihilism all pour in and what we see in these murder sprees are just the visible part of sins destructive workings in our youth.

But there is more...Millions suffering in Burundi, Etreia, Mali, The Congo, Peru; millions starving, millions displaced, millions without God and without hope. Ravaged by false religious systems, manipulated and exploited by humanist and communist governments, denied basic human rights by greed and corruption in their own governments.

Yes, there is a great deal of prayer to be done, yes there is a great deal of horrific suffering while not minimizing the terrifying and tragic events in Florida, this doesn't even bump the needle in comparison to the vast devastation found in Africa and the middle east.

I'm surely not telling you anything you don't already know, I want you to know, I know and God knows.

A discussion on 'raising of hands' or the Lord's supper is appropriate for discussion. How do you begin to discuss world events that defy expression in words? How do you opaquely view the starving millions and blurt out a few scriptures? I'm not sure I can. I do pray, I do hope in God. Thousands of words can be spent on a discussion over worship styles, but the subject of a national disaster? Words of prayer seem like the only fitting words.

Not immune, not ignorant just overcome with so much suffering 'discussion' treats it as trite.

2018/2/15 18:00Profile
savannah

Re: do you see what I see...

Blaine,

You are probably the only one on this forum affected by this!

As for me and my church, we're still celebrating the victory of the Boston Eaglets in the Worldly Series.

But hey...thanks for the reminder!

2018/2/15 18:19Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Bear I appreciate you but when you get on your high horse about things like this it is extremely condescending and uncalled for.

As if those of us here are unaware of what happened in FL. You make it sound like we could care less. Why do you feel compelled to seemingly call out everyone else on the forum? Do you not think we are struck by this tragedy for which there seems to be no solution?? Our nation is broken to the core and like Marvin says a few platitudes expressed in this forum mean nothing.

But if it makes you feel better by making out that you are the only one who gives a rip about this tragedy, please continue on.

2018/2/15 18:22Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

What are we supposed to say? I did the most anyone can possibly do, I prayed.

2018/2/15 20:16Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Have we become so immune???

Immune Or are we just selective...?

What about the 71 that died in Russian plane crash? (News this week)
What about those that died in recent train crashes? (News this week)
What about the children who were raped and murdered on video for elite UK politicians to watch before they dissolved their bodies in acid baths? (News this week)
What about the three month old who was raped nine times while being videotaped to sell in Texas? (News last week)
What about the three girls aged 6,8,10 who were repeatedly raped for 10 weeks while their family was staying with a “friend” while their house was being repaired only for the assailant to claim he was a 9yr old trapped in a 36yr olds body? (News last week)
What about the 3,542,000 abortions in the past 12 years by Planned Parenthood? (More than twice the number of American casualties in WWI,WWII, and Vietnam combined! - also in the news last week)
And on and on......
You see Brothers and Sisters we are in a war against evil incarnate, even so I’m not sure that bringing attention to it all here on SI is the best idea- having said that, it’s far far worse than any of us imagines and most people don’t have the stomach for it.... But our God knows and He burdens those whom He will to do battle in prayer.
But that’s up to Greg if he wants to create a place for this type of thing to be addressed-

2018/2/15 22:43Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Very good posts by Marvin and Fletcher.
I don't think discussing scriptures in a positive way to encourage and enlighten each other is wrong or means we don't care or are moved by the evil around us.
Do we imagine that the Apostolic church spent all their time discussing the evils of the Roman society around them, or did they not in fact encouraage one another in the 'word'?

On a practical point of the latest tragic shooting (one of too many in the USA), why oh why cannot folk there see the obvious connection between easy access to assault weapons and these killings. I'm not saying banning these types of weapons will stop all gun crimes or that the guns are responsible in themselves for murderous acts, BUT removing the access to easily obtain them will prevent and restrict these events occurring in the frequency and scale they have been. As was stated recently "Nowhere else in the developed world do you see this happening, only in the USA.

There are many other things that you cannot buy to protect yourself or others. Why not assault and semi automatic guns??

2018/2/16 7:14Profile
docs

Re:

Voices that condemn and brow beat seldom achieve the intentions they want.

I was deeply moved by the events in Fla and it was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back for me. If the good Lord doesn't help this nation it isn't going to be helped even if economic prosperity etc. returns. I was going to perhaps say something but was pondering whether I should or not. I can say with 100% certainty though that I don't believe that those who participate here were unmoved by these events. Just the opposite. You folks are good saints and do not need blanket condemnation hurled over you. Being moved into deeper compassion and intercession for this country and the world comes from hearing the word of God and the voice of the Holy Spirit. We prayed diligently in our home prayer group for the people in Fla and it's likely also that many of you have already been moved and have prayed accordingly.

Blessings.

2018/2/16 8:14Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Dear brother Dave,

There has always been easy access to guns in America and yet these things are a relatively new occurrence, starting first around ‘98 .....

At the end of the day it’s our fault in large part, I mean we can’t really act surprised when unsaved, unregenerate people act like unsaved, unregenerate people but we saints know better, yet we don’t as a whole (body) seem to respond to the problem.... instead we debate and address various symptoms. We saints have become too political in our methods.

When I grew up there was strong preaching on Sunday and virtually everyone had a gun at school in their trucks and no one was ever hurt by a gun... yet now all we hear from the pulpit is “Jesus loves you” and “Christians” everywhere applaud, sending money and social supports. Actually, guns are harder now than then to obtain and even tho it’s against the law to have a gun at school now- yet these things happen with increasing frequency.... see the correlation? guns are simply the symptom or means of an unregenerate person, who themselves are also “weaponized” by the true enemy-

RESPONSIBILITY: Brethren, our preaching will bear its legitimate fruits. If immorality prevails in the land, the fault is ours in a great degree. If there is a decay of conscience, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the public press lacks moral discrimination, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the church is degenerate and worldly, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the world loses its interest in religion, the pulpit is responsible for it. If Satan rules in our halls of legislation, the pulpit is responsible for it. If our politics become so corrupt that the very foundations of our government are ready to fall away, the pulpit is responsible for it. Let us not ignore this fact, my dear brethren; but let us lay it to heart, and be thoroughly awake to our responsibility in respect to the morals of this nation. --Charles G. Finney, December 4, 1873

2018/2/16 8:29Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

If you cannot see that society as a whole is decaying then you are part of the problem. It has nothing to do with guns, homophobia, bigotry, or oppression. The world is not "evolving" it is devolving, and human carnality is the cause-Unknown

Bears quote

Quote:
I'm surprised that no one has posted about the recent shooting that took place at a high school in Parkland Florida. Or am I the only one that is aware of this.

Bears Thread "sufferings thread"
Quote:
But then I can only hope that somebody who reads this as well as the "sufferings thread" will have a heart to pray for those who are in affliction and suffering.

Okay back to your theological discussions.

One word on the quotes above....Narcissism

2018/2/16 9:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy