SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Redefining Love and the absence of love in our society and the church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Redefining Love and the absence of love in our society and the church

In today's culture, when people use the word love it is more defined as the word lust.

John 13:34
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 13:35
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

John 13:35 is interesting as that was one of the things that was present in the early church. In church we normally go home after say the Sunday service and do not have fellowship beyond say a mid week meeting

All of us pray for you, and for all men, as our Christ and Lord taught us to do. For He commanded us to pray even for our enemies, and to love those who hate us, and to bless those who curse us. Justin Martyr (c. 160, E), 1.266. Loving one’s enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the thief, the ungodly person, and the adulterer. Not as far as he sins (in respect of the actions by which he stains the name of man), but as he is a man and is the work of God. Clement of Alexandria (c. 195, E), 2.426.

Bercot, David W., editor. Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs (Kindle Locations 15315-15319). Hendrickson Pub. Kindle Edition.

It is mainly the deeds of a love so noble that lead many to put a brand upon us. They say, “See how they love one another!” . . . And they are angry with us, too, because we call each other brothers. Tertullian (c. 197, W), 3.46.

Bercot, David W., editor. Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs (Kindle Locations 5089-5091). Hendrickson Pub. Kindle Edition.

Where is the love in the church that the world is actually jealous

Next Subject

What I want to talk to is how the world has redefined love as two gay couples can say that love one another or people can say I love my car or I love my toaster.

The word love has become cheap because it is used to often, People say that Jesus loves them, What do they mean by love and how is the non christian going to translate that sentence into what they think. They may think of the word in say a sexual way that Jesus love them in a sexual way and there understanding of who Jesus is may be completely different as they probably only understand that Christianity is an Abrahamic faith and that Jesus may have never existed according to them. So saying jesus loves you to a non Christian is a foolish thing to do unless you explain the Gospel.

As most people tend to associate the word love with lust.

I sometimes find it so hard to imagine that God loves me sometimes as church seems so sporadic you are in and out of church and being single in a church setting is like Hell!
It will be a miracle if I get married.

With C S Lewis book the four loves, as you have agape, eros and storge.

When working in the Christian bookshop I literally have read every book on relationships such as the Alpha guide to marriage or the four love languages or other things.

C S Lewis
The Four Loves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdM3eSaftIQ

Some relationship books are complelty unbiblical and go against actual bible scriptures.

We are bombarded with music every day in work that mentions love, we have love in the films, we have the word love used in every situation but can you truly love without God.

The answer is yes as with a rhetorical question.

The word love is used so much to mean it loses it meaning! What do people mean when they say love!

Is What the world defines as love antithetical to what the bible calls

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly*; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Love does not rejoice in inquity , There are so many loving deeds done by the world that are evil in the name of love.
I sometimes struggle to think that God loves me in the area of relationships or work.

Love rejoices in the truth, Is this not completely foreign to our society.

With the early apostles the love in the church with no wealth or greatness brought people to christ through the gospel and the loved shared amongst them.

Now we have megachurches where people take your money for a message and leave you destined for Hell. Church is more lonely than most bars, you are in listen to a sermon, drink a coffee and tea and then do the same thing next week.

There is no fellowship or interaction other than a shallow conversation.

In Bridge Lane the church I used to go we used to spend up to 4:00 am in the morning discussing the scriptures and could go on, probably for longer

When I was in uni praying till late at night was easy.

We live in a society which does not understand family, the house i lived in canterbury was foreign to the idea of sitting at a table and eating together and another student residents there was so many broken relationship, one was gay whos mum and dad were divorced and then you had the step sisters and the half sisters.

The fractured society we live in does not understand love when we talk about the biblical context, it cant.

You have people who have been in 4 by 4 relationships who have had 4 children by different fathers or worse.

I find it hard to understand love in my own life but when the church speaks it does not understand the culture that we live in, which is so broken and needs Jesus.

The thing is there that love actually in the church that the world grews Jealous of.

Having a view of the eternal. When I lived in canterbury I found it so hard as you would go home as a single person after church to a dire situation in your house and each day have to struggle through, there would be a war at home.

I have a war at work and with relationships at the moment.
A 30 minute sermon is good enough but the worst thing is when people try to solve things without looking at scripture.

At church I am so desperate for going through scripture as it so encourages you and you have some point of reference to communicate with other true believers.
When people give a pep talk without opening the bible, the word of God has no power.

When working in the bookshop I found so many books on relationships did not even mention the word of God or used it as proof text for principles outside the word of God

We live in a society where people are dragged down by student loans can barely afford to get through life and surviving by faith.

It seems most relationship books in the west are directed to a perfect situation but not for the not so perfect.

To me where is the Love of God in the Church and you can only see the Cross, How Jesus died for our sins and Eternity. Everything should be measured by Jesus love for us for dying for our sins.

Do you want to be with someone who will be in Hell.

Matthew 24:12 KJV

12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

Has love waxed cold in the church , it is also interesting that love is the opposite of iniquity. We live in a world full of iniquity that is loveless and yet promulgates love to the degree but it is more like lust.

I wish the Lord would teach me to love again and give me true love!

2018/1/23 17:31Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy