SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Soldier- B.H. Clendennen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Man0fG0d

Soldier- B.H. Clendennen

Greetings, this is a tremendous and powerful message from the Lord. "Soldiers" Bro. Clendennen preached this under a tent located in the Bronx in 1982. The message is still as pointed, painful, and promising today as it was then.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=5115

Some quotes from the message:

" Someone asked sgt. Montgomery how do you interpret the Great Commission? He replied, you don't interpret that, you do it."

"Discipline is the difference between an army and a mob. Discipline means instant obedience and the reason most of the church never gets anything from God is because it takes them 3 days to make up their minds to do what He tells them."

"When I signed up for the war there were boys there that had grown up, spent their life in church, but we weren't in Vietnam 30 days before the devil gunned them down. I don't mean with machine guns, they became a part of that prostitution and drug out fit. You know what was wrong? They grew up where the atmosphere of the church made them believe the world wasn't their enemy Just a misunderstood friend. We will take the singers from nashville, Las Vegas, and Kentucky let them sing in the pulpit on Sunday, sing in Las Vegas on a Monday then wonder what's wrong with our kids."

I pray this stirs all who hear it. Be blessed.

2018/1/19 18:46Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Soldier- B.H. Clendennen

I can second that, great message that will stir your heart.

How does God glorify His name in the earth? He does it through people, soldiers, who are not afraid of the devil, not afraid of man, not afraid of calamity. Men and women who step out in faith believing that they can do all things through Christ which strengthens them.

In Christ,

2018/1/20 10:04Profile
rbanks

Re:

I will say the same...it is an excellent message to stir your heart to follow God with your all heart to be fully committed, faithful, and courageous!

Everyone needs to hear it! It will challenge those who will hear!!

Blessings...rbanks

2018/1/20 12:20Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

I agree this is a very good word.

This sermon and the reaction of the crowd is very confusing to me.

To me, the crowd has put on the "pentacostal glasses" so that anything sharp, convicting, or what should be cause for tears was met by whooping and applause. These glasses turn reproof into cheering points, they turn rebuke into 'go get-em preacher' never meaning themselves, it turns warning into 'applauding good preaching'.

To me something is terribly amiss here, repentance sermons like this when met by applause and cheering demonstrates to me, Brother Clendennen was not discerning the real condition of the congregation. When someone cheers at the sharp reproof of scripture, they only cheer when they think it means "somebody else is in trouble"...but definitely not them.

It's not the message, its the reaction of the crowd and the excitement generated from them as if 'someone else needs to repent'. Ive seen this many times over the years and its a pain to me to listen to it.

2018/1/22 19:18Profile
rbanks

Re:

Marvin,

The message was preached back in 1982 in a morning service where RW Schambach was preaching in the night services. Brother Clendennen has preached in many countries of the world. He has seen multitudes saved, baptized in the Holy Spirit, and healed by the power of God.

God has done major healings in his own life, plus in the lives of others. He has walked with God and preached over 57 years before the Lord took him home. I don’t know what you have done in your years of ministry but I have pretty much followed Clendennen’s ministry since 1988. He started the School of Christ in Russia in 1990. He has gone into over 138 countries. God has used him to open the eyes of the blind, the deaf to hear, and the mute to talk. He told a man with patches over his eyes during his ministry days that he would see in the morning, not knowing the man didn’t have any eyeballs. The man came back the next night with 2 brand new eyes balls after the Lord put them in the sockets.

The Lord has used brother Clendennen in amazing ways over his ministry years and he has always preached Christ giving him all the glory. It would do people and preachers a lot of good to listen to his messages in the School of Christ as well as multitudes of preaching messages that are now on utube.

Blessings...rbanks

2018/1/22 21:17Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Rbanks:

Im not sure what you thought you were reading, but my point was the listeners were applauding where they should of been "oh God, what have I done"? or instead of whooping, they would sit and think "It is I Lord that needs to repent?".

Like it or not, I am suspicious when people applaud when the sermon is a word of repentance or reproof, which Brother Clendennen was serving by the plateful.

God has done his miracles through me as Brother Clendennen, but the issue is not the number of miracles or the number of countries visited, the issue I had was a contradictory response from the congregation, not the validity of Brother Clendennens ministry. That being said, Brother Schambach ( who I listened to for years before he went W.O.F.) was the kind of speaker that could raise the room temp with his audacious preaching, Brother Clendennen following something like that, as was eluded to in his sermon, followed that emotional build up with a repentance sermon that didn't find the mark. I did find great acceptance, but repentance, cheering, applause from the congregation are signs they are not receiving the words for themselves.

If you want a similar situation, you can visit Paul Washers sermon to the Baptist seminary where his reproof finally found its mark Paul said "I don't know why you are applauding, I'm talking about you!" Paul did this to get the listeners to realize, this is not a rhetorical repentance sermon, but a sermon directed to their consciences...and as a wise minister didn't let them off the hook, he cut away the visade of approval by explicitly declaring "they are guilty of these things".
Brother Clendennen was plain in his declaration regarding a good preacher "8 were saved the rest were damned"...referring to Noah as a preacher. Instead of introspection, came applause.

This is why I said what I said. In the past, I could see my listeners would put on their 'church glasses' to shield themselves from the actual intent of the message so that they could enjoy the message as a rhetorical statement to them, but really, for someone else that needs it.

It may be that I am dead wrong and the congregation went into prayer and repentance after this, but from what I could hear, it didn't appear so.

2018/1/22 22:49Profile
rbanks

Re:

Marvin,
Although I disagree with your criticism. I do believe you have come to a lot of good understanding in the Lord.

Most people who have listened to “Soldiers” have responded with conviction and was also challenged to be more faithful and committed. The message is very stirring and I believe that it wasn’t necessary for brother Clendennen to rebuke the crowd like Paul Washer did at his famous youth service.

The Holy Spirit works and moves in sovereign ways that are beyond the understanding of man. I do believe Paul Wahser is also a man of God but I don’t think he has experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit and His workings like Clendennen. I don’t think it is our responsibility to always be critical in our discernment but we should be more encouraging and edifying to the body of Christ with our reproof and correction.

2 Corinthians 3:6
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

1 Corinthians 14:3
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

I know myself that I have shouted, praised God in the Spirit but still was convicted and desired for God to do a work of change in my life. The Holy Spirit can cause one to be excited in the Holy Spirit while they hear truth and still able to work the necessary repentance.

Well Marvin, I guess I was a little disappointed that after you listened to “Soldiers” and coming away from it with the comment you made. I know when I listened I was stirred and challenged. I don’t think you realize that your observation for everybody to read took the focus away from what God was using brother Clendennen to say to bless those who hear. I do hope people will over look what you said in your criticism of the crowd and your accusing brother Clendennen of his lack of discernment and really allow the message to stir them toward God.

Blessings to you brother!
rbanks

2018/1/23 7:47Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

rbanks wrote:
"I do believe Paul Wahser is also a man of God but I don’t think he has experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit and His workings like Clendennen."

I think we have to be careful about making a statement like this.

The Holy Spirit may be working in and through Paul Washer in a different way from the way He worked in and through Clendennen. (sentence edited)

Much of God's work cannot be seen by human eyes.

2018/1/23 8:07Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Hi Rbanks:

My first post on the matter was simply to point out...

"It's not the message, its the reaction of the crowd and the excitement generated from them as if 'someone else needs to repent'. Ive seen this many times over the years and its a pain to me to listen to it."

If you listened to it, were challenged and convicted as I was, the response was not anything like the crowd was acting.

I make no differentiation between something like this and equally questionable responses from the congregation..
Preached on giving...the response was applause but resulted in increased stinginess
Preached on prayer...the response was 'amens' and 'glory' but the outcome was no more prayer made from them.
Preached on Study of the word...the response was yea, amen, praise the Lord...but the outcome was less reading and study.
All of those outcomes were had for one single reason "the congregation felt the message was really for 'other people' that needed it.
Anytime Ive preached and the congregation or study or mens group started in with yeas and amens...knowing this message is for them, to their issues, and directed for their repentance and submission to Jesus...I reminded them, that it is this Church, this group, this study that the message is directed to and not someone else.

This sent the message to their doorstep and didn't give them the out that such things belonged to other people.

In our many postings on revival...it has been said from many time and again "Its not my sister or my brother, It's me oh Lord standing in the need of prayer". Instead of woe is you...it's woe is me.

The reaction didn't depict this at all so I made a comment. My comment doesn't in fact detract from the import of the message, it simply pointed out the message should be taken for what it is. This is not critical or mean towards the message or Brother Clendennen, it is in fact a vote for the message and instead of whooping it up, I thought a genuine reaction to such preaching would be accompanied by introspection and prayer.

My comment brother banks is because I valued the message for what it was intended to affect, their affectation was something else and why Brother Clendennen didn't address it I don't know.
Yes, I could be dead wrong...but I am simply making the observation, I have learned by God's grace to live in this way, its when I forego this, I have erred.

2018/1/23 17:54Profile
dohzman

Re: Upside down preaching

Personally I believe it is a very dangerous position to take in ministering TheWord of God from a pulpit and looking for a reaction from the pew. That’s a trap. To try to force conviction and do the work of The Holy Spirit is also a trap. Strive not to glory in another mans flesh. I don’t want to start and argument or debate, I do want to encourage my fellow minister in The Lord to deliver the Word of God faithfully and let The God of The Word do as He pleases according to His fore knowledge. Blessing to all in the love of Christ. Bro dmiller

2018/1/23 18:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy