SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The burden of the Lord

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

The burden of the Lord

Jer 23:16 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD.

...they make you vain:

Jer 23:32 Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the LORD, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the LORD.
Jer 23:33 And when this people, or the prophet, or a priest, shall ask thee, saying, What is the burden of the LORD? thou shalt then say unto them, What burden? I will even forsake you, saith the LORD.
Jer 23:34 And as for the prophet, and the priest, and the people, that shall say, The burden of the LORD, I will even punish that man and his house.
Jer 23:35 Thus shall ye say every one to his neighbour, and every one to his brother, What hath the LORD answered? and, What hath the LORD spoken?
Jer 23:36 And the burden of the LORD shall ye mention no more: for every man's word shall be his burden; for ye have perverted the words of the living God, of the LORD of hosts our God.
Jer 23:37 Thus shalt thou say to the prophet, What hath the LORD answered thee? and, What hath the LORD spoken?
Jer 23:38 But since ye say, The burden of the LORD; therefore thus saith the LORD; Because ye say this word, The burden of the LORD, and I have sent unto you, saying, Ye shall not say, The burden of the LORD;
Jer 23:39 Therefore, behold, I, even I, will utterly forget you, and I will forsake you, and the city that I gave you and your fathers, and cast you out of my presence:
Jer 23:40 And I will bring an everlasting reproach upon you, and a perpetual shame, which shall not be forgotten.

The above text speaking of the false prophets who by telling Israel their dreams and giving words that turn their hearts away from God toward Baal, use the name of God to get this work done.

In this condition the 'preachers of the day' were making the people vain, what this intimates to us shows Israel to be full of false hopes, baseless expectations that all will be well with them, regardless if they despised God or not.
These false prophets had designs of their own and God was the means to an end, their own end was power and gain from the people of God.
A two fold thing happened here, the corrupt preachers where making merchandise off of the people of God, and the people of God enjoyed being told they were safe and secure while living in direct disobedience to the word of God.

A woe is given to these pastor-prophet-shepherds in that they will feel the anger of God's judgment.

But the people of God, were in a strange situation, they were deceived into thinking they were safe while living in theirs sins and now in this portion of scripture Jeremiah the true prophet tells them of another chastisement they must receive.
This second chastening takes the form of a 'silence from God'. God is saying, when you come to me and want to know what I have for you to do for me, 'what is the burden of the Lord?", God is saying I will give you no burden from me. Here is your burden, your own vain life, that is the burden of the Lord for you...it's your own sins destroying your, your community, your family, your worship, your leaders all of it.
If anyone thinks to take up a 'burden of the Lord' other than this, I will punish that man and his family.
Let no one say "I have the burden of the Lord". They had become useless, vain, incapable of receiving the word of God in service to God because their hearts were wrong toward God, and wrong toward each other and wrong toward how they worship him. (Isa chpt 1)

In this little piece of obscure scripture rarely taught or quoted, we see that God gave them over to their own lusts and told them their burden was to sit under the wickedness of each other and how they treated one another.
Rom 1:28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.
Rom 1:29 They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips,
Rom 1:30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.
Rom 1:32 Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

The false prophets were Satanically motivated to sow tares in God's field, the tares yield no good fruit, Mat 13:22 As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful.

The warning in Jeremiah 23 serves to instruct us, that though our faithful teachers may seem harsh and hard on us when we sin, this is a good thing and works repentance in us. When we heap to ourselves teacher that keep us happy and secure while in our sins, we can be assured God will cease to reveal himself to us and we will in the end be as the chaff to be burned or the branch broken off and burned John 15.

When the true prophet speaks, the repentant will listen and amend their ways, when the willingly ignorant hears the prophet he seeks to silence him and continue on the path that leads to destruction.

2018/1/19 13:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy