SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Dohzman wrote:
“……maybe Cain gave the first fruits or possibly he may have given just to keep up with his brother out of obligation like Anais and Sapphira in the book of Acts, their act got them killed by the Hand of God, ouch!”

Todd wrote:
“My impression has always been that Cain withheld his best for himself and gave God leftovers, so I tend to agree Dohz.”

Sorry, but……where in the Bible is that written???

2018/1/11 2:13Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

havok20x

Thanks for the support!

Much appreciated.

Blessings

2018/1/11 2:14Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi Marvin and Diane,

Will reply to your posts when free asap.

Blessings

2018/1/11 2:16Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//Sorry, but……where in the Bible is that written???//

If the Bible was explicit about what Cain’s sin was exactly, your OP would not have been necessary. We are left to conjecture.

We can know one thing with certainty- the core of his sin was that he chose to do something (whatever that was) his way, and not God’s way.

2018/1/11 7:18Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Hi Diane,

The text in Gen. 4:7 is:

"And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door"

How do you interpret "And if you do not do well" ?

2018/1/11 7:29Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Todd,

You wrote:
"We can know one thing with certainty- the core of his sin was that he chose to do something (whatever that was) his way, and not God’s way. "

Do you disagree that the "something" he did was the offering he brought to God?

You also said:
"If the Bible was explicit about what Cain’s sin was exactly, your OP would not have been necessary."

We know that Cain brought an offering to God of the fruit of the ground and God had no regard for it. So my OP asked: "What is bad about what Cain did?" Scripture does interpret scripture and I have not yet found scripture to throw light on why the offering of the fruit of the ground Cain brought to God was bad.

2018/1/11 7:54Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

We know that from the verse in Hebrews, that Cain's lack of faith was the main issue. Did that manifest itself in him keeping the best for himself? Did it manifest itself in him offering what was left over? Did he offer the best, but not really believe that it was going to do anything? Did he simply do it because his younger brother did it? We will not know the answers to any of those questions--all we know is that God rejected his offering, that Cain's lack of faith was the main reason, and that the lack of faith is what helped to breed sin. Cain had no faith, expected the same results as Abel, and the result was the murder of Abel.

Romans 14:23 and the principals behind that whole chapter may apply here.

"But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin."

2018/1/11 9:30Profile
dohzman

Re:

It’s not spelled out specifically but seems to make sense when you read the account from Gen 4. I imagine if Cain would have give to The Lord the first fruits of the ground that the written account would have been more specific as it is with Abel s offering. Other than that I do not have a specific verse. It seems to make sense though, what do you think?

2018/1/11 10:47Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hi Jade-

I don’t think the problem was that Cain brought vegetables/grain/fruit and Abel brought blood.

Being a tiller of the soil seems to mean that Cain would value those things. As a shepherd Abel valued his lambs. It is not clear that the lambs were Cain’s to bring. They were not his.

In my heart of hearts I do not believe that God rejected Cain’s offering because it was not a blood sacrifice. It is possible but I do not believe that is what the passage teaches us. His sacrifice was rejected because of his heart condition.

In that context, “doing well” means having a pure heart that is right towards God.

2018/1/11 11:29Profile
TheophilusMD

New Jersey

Re:

By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead. (Hebrews 11:3)

By faith. I believe this is where the answer is found. I think it was Ron Bailey who gave a simple, practical definition of faith and that is - "the right response to the word/revelation of God" The sacrifice of Cain was not accepted because he offered something which he may have thought was best or at least good for God and NOT what the Lord wanted him to offer. He made the choice what to offer rather than give to God what He asked from him. Whatever was not offered by faith, however wonderful and good it may seem, is sin.

2018/1/11 12:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy