SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

havok20x wrote:
“I don't think it is right to say that just because it was the fruit of the ground that it was unacceptable. After all, these types of offerings were acceptable in the OT Law.”

Dohzman wrote:
“Gen 3 :17. Gen 5:29. I wonder if maybe offering God something from the ground that was cursed, the 2nd ref being toil denoting works?”

Excellent food for thought.
Still thinking……

2018/1/10 8:27Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Jade,

I really appreciate the way you are handling this conversation.

2018/1/10 9:10Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Hi Jade:

I'm not sure where I subtracted from God's word.

Maybe because I didnt finish the scripture text itself?

Here's the gist of it.

What command was broken?
Gen 3:3 but God said, 'You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.'"

That is the command of God, therefore I quoted only a portion of the text. The first sin was disobeying God in partaking of what God had forbidden. (speaking in general terms)

But why the tree of the knowledge of good and evil?

I can think of a couple of reasons.
That tree could very well be re-labeled Morality tree, Law tree, Code of ethics tree.

What state was Adam and Eve in at the time of their temptation? Sinlessness. They were perfect, no alienation from God, no guilt, no sinful nature...perfect images of God living in the world.
What did satan do? He brought into question two things.
Their own condition was lacking therefore they needed the tree's fruit. Gen 3:6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.
The key phrase I want to emphasize is "tree was to be desired to make one wise,"
Eve bought into the temptation because of the good that could come to her from that tree. As Paul says...The law is good.
But the irony is Eve didn't need this "perceived improvement". She was already perfectly acceptable as-is.

1Ti 1:9 understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient,

Adam and Eve in this state was already just.

Remember the initial command? "Thou shalt not eat"?, yet she was going to break the command of God to improve herself in the sight of God.
The picture in Genesis can also display very early on what it means for man to disobey God and yet run to the law of God for wisdom and justification of himself. That theme runs the entire length of scripture and this scene with Satan tempting mankind to 'improve himself' against the commands of God is as common as dirt.

Hopefully you can see I intended no deception with a lack of quotation.

2018/1/10 12:00Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
What command was broken?

What if we were to explore God's direct words to Cain:

"Why are you angry?"
and then:
"Sin is crouching at your door".

What is the sin God is speaking of?
Is it not something about Cain himself, a condition of his heart, something that explained his bad countenance... something that motivated him to murder?
What could have made Cain THAT evil?

2018/1/10 17:21Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

What if God had never said “thou shalt not?”

2018/1/10 17:36Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

What if God had never said “thou shalt not?”

Todd, there's always one of 'those guys' in the crowd...:)

Molinism is annoying to me.

2018/1/10 17:54Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Sorry Marvin but I truly have no idea what molinism is.

I grant you it was a rhetorical question.

2018/1/10 18:57Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Todd: yea it was rhetorical...and normal people need not concern themselves Molinism. God's middle knowledge.

2018/1/10 19:03Profile
dohzman

Re: just wondering

I was looking fresh at Cain offering and the wording of Ables offering, I wonder how close in age these two were, if maybe Cain gave the first fruits or possibly he may have given just to keep up with his brother out of obligation like Anais and Sapphira in the book of Acts, their act got them killed by the Hand of God, ouch!

2018/1/10 21:42Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

My impression has always been that Cain withheld his best for himself and gave God leftovers, so I tend to agree Dohz.

2018/1/10 21:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy