SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Hermit Life.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

The Hermit Life.

I personally feel like I'm living this life now, and I'm fine with it, and some may not appreciate this lifestyle, or think it's weird. Some may be living this lifestyle now and not even realize it. I'm not sure how I got to this point in my life, but I do believe the losses in my life, and my Love for God has sent me in this direction. I hope if anyone does decide to respond, they Pray first, because this is my life right now, and I need all the encouragement I can get in life, not to get out of this lifestyle, but to grow deeper into this lifestyle along with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Hermit Life,

You hear about hermits more often than you meet one, and that’s because a hermit is someone who likes to be alone, far from people, sometimes because of their religious beliefs or maybe because they simply want some privacy.

Hermits like living solo, alone in the woods, up in a mountain, or sometimes they live in a city without hardly ever leaving their home. The root of the word is the Greek erēmos, meaning “solitary.” A life of solitude isn’t for everyone, but a hermit chooses it for any number of reasons. For example, being able to honor their religious beliefs more fully. Hermits opt out of civilization because of not liking what the world has become – too much war, or loss, environmental destruction, or crime, or consumerism. possible motivations to become a hermit.

The solitary hermit has learned that he can live in complete peace with no one but God. This is the witness the hermit gives to the whole church. He says to me and he says to you–“See, I am a living illustration of the truth that God will supply all of your needs according to his riches in glory!” (Philippians 4:19) The hermit says, “See, I live in this cell with nothing but God. I am a living witness to the truth that you do not need all that ‘stuff’ in your life to make you happy. I am happy with nothing but God!”

Finally, the hermit is a living witness that the follower of Jesus Christ needs never to be lonely. We may be solitary, but we do not need to be lonely. We can move out of loneliness by developing a life of prayer, and through the life of prayer we will learn that “He who has God is lacking in nothing.”

2017/12/23 12:42Profile

Re: The Hermit Life.

If God called someone to the Hermit life I would never try and talk that person out of it. If however, it is hurts and losses and any kind of bitterness towards the world that caused us to withdraw that would be something else. I think of David retreating into his cave, and what at first was his comfort, in the end became his prison, he had to decide that he would awaken the dawn and proclaim God to all men, which of course he could not do in the depths of a cave. We have to be careful what we crawl into, for it may become our master and our enslaver.......bro Frank

2017/12/23 12:55
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Brother Frank I agree, maybe for a season he needs us away from all worldly things, to mold us into the person he needs us to be for his next season in our lives. The reason I feel he has me in this season "or maybe permanently" of life is, I love to pray for folks, I guess you could call me a prayer warrior, and I can be used doing that right here in my cave.

God uses us all in ways you or I may never understand. Maybe we just need more like Noah...Noah was fully committed to God's plan, it made no difference to him whether he understood everything or not. If only we all were more committed to God's plan, instead of trying to understand everything, can we dare to be a Noah?

God can use hurts and losses to get our attention to fulfill his will for our life. I don't feel I was beat and drug into this lifestyle from my losses or hurts, it seems to have come very gently and naturally, and I do very well with it.

2017/12/23 13:51Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: The Hermit Life.

Would a Hermit as you describe be on an internet forum having regular conversations?.....Just asking.

2017/12/23 14:46Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Brother Dave, most of us picture a Hermit living in a cave in a mountain, if you do a little research, you will see they're many different versions of Hermits, from City to Mountains to deep into the woods. My guess is to answer your question, if God is using me where I am, and using me to pray for others, the internet would be a perfect place. By the way your question didn't bother me at all, I appreciate your asking, this is why I posted this thread.
For some that may not understand the lifestyle of a 21st century Hermit, maybe this video might help.
https://youtu.be/eqsc3cf4PPs

2017/12/23 15:04Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Brother Bill: I wonder if my lifestyle (middle incomer, house, car, credit cards, Sunday church goin) is the ideal.
It's not that isolationism solves the Churches issues, but I'm sure it isn't middle American lifestyle that will solve them either.

Be blessed in where Jesus is taking you, I didnt find anything about hermitting in the new testament to validate such a living, I did find plenty to warn me of the excesses of mine.

Now if you start wearing togas...

2017/12/24 0:23Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Well Bill, If what is on that news piece is a Hermit, then I can understand you could consider to be one of them. It's not my understandaing of a Hermit. Maybe it's a 'Nuvo-Hermit!:)

I found it mildly ammusing when it was said that "they are bringing together those who choose to be alone". An oxymoron?

As GloryandDance said, I don't think the NT teaches a Hermit existence. We are part of a body, a family, joined together and dependent unpon each other. Shared life is the norm, not seperated lives.

Have a great Christmas!

2017/12/24 5:27Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Thank you Marvin for your very gracious response. Some may be able to seek the relationship with God they want, in the rat race of life, some may have to resort to solitude. For me personally I could not develop the relationship I wanted in the hustle and bustle of life. There were many times Jesus went to be alone with his father, I can understand why, we all have a different calling, even Jesus had his own calling. No Jesus did not live a life of solitude, but I truly think he understands the life of someone that does desire solitude.

I’m not seeking justification here, my message is, that we all have to find our best way to seek the Lord to gain the relationship we want. I have been living the solitude life for over a year now, and I’ve personally witnessed my relationship with the Lord strengthen beyond my most vivid imagination. We can all find scriptures to justify the lifestyle we live, I’m not trying to justify anything, with or without scripture, I feel that right now at this moment in my life, this is where God wants me, to gain a closer relationship with him, should I listen to God, or the thoughts of man?

2017/12/24 9:31Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
Heydave...I found it mildly amusing when it was said that "they are bringing together those who choose to be alone". An oxymoron?

Brother, they way I received this was, they were bringing folks together through the article they send out, not physically, but I could be wrong. Thanks again Brother Dave for your response.
I Pray You and Your Family will have a Blessed Christmas.

Edit: I thought this quote below might be somewhat appropriate here. God Bless!

“God never gives us discernment so that we may criticize, but that we may intercede.”-Oswald Chambers

2017/12/24 10:12Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Mr Bill,

i understand where your at and I don't mean to criticise, I think the term Hermit just threw me.

If you are growing closer to the Lord through this that's got to be a good thing. Just take what you receive in your solitude with God and share with His body and those outside.

God bless.

2017/12/24 11:23Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy