Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Origin of Christmas

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
keepstanding

UK

The Origin of Christmas

There we are all gone.

If anyone is interested in a tract on The Origin of Christmas - By David J. Meyer, please visit the following link:

http://www.lasttrumpetministries.org/tracts/tract3.html

2017/12/18 8:24Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: The Origin of Christmas

To quote good ‘ol Charlie Brown, “”GOOD GRIEF!”
———-
“If I could work my will," said Scrooge indignantly, "every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!"

"Uncle!" pleaded the nephew.

"Nephew!" returned the uncle sternly, "keep Christmas in your own way, and let me keep it in mine."

"Keep it!" repeated Scrooge's nephew. "But you don't keep it."
"Let me leave it alone, then," said Scrooge. "Much good may it do you! Much good it has ever done you!"

"There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say," returned the nephew; "Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas-time, when it has come round--apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that--as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!"

2017/12/18 10:22Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia

Saturnalia is actually on December 23rd

Most of the feast even during the bible were on Pagan Holidays so that Christians did not celebrate them.

My question is what is an alternative with the rich theological christian hymns that we celebrate,even thou Jesus birth but his conception would be at Christmas , the miracle of the virgin birth.

In one of my previous posts I go in the problems with holidays like Hanakkah. What do you suggest an alternative ?

Augustine

Christmas Day. Thus Suidas, “The Epiphany is the Incarnation of the Saviour;” and Epiphanius (Haer., 53), “The Day of the Epiphany is the day on which Christ was born according to the flesh.” But S. Jerome applies the word to the Baptism of Christ; “The day of the Epiphany is still venerable; not, as some think, on account of His Birth in the flesh; for then He was hidden, not manifested; but it agrees with the time at which it was said, This is My beloved Son (In Ezech. I.). There is also a Sermon, attributed to S. Chrysostom, “On the Baptism of Christ,” in which it is expressly denied that the name Theophany applies to Christmas. The Oration itself, however, contains evidence to shew that the Festival of our Lord’s Birth was kept at the earlier date; for in c. 16 the Preacher says, “A little later you shall see Jesus submitting to be purified in the river Jordan for my purification.” And another piece of evidence occurs in the oration In Sancta Lumina, c. 14, “At His Birth we duly kept festival, both I the leader of the feast, and you. Now we are come to another action of Christ and another Mystery.”

The Church Fathers. The Complete Ante-Nicene & Nicene and Post-Nicene Church Fathers Collection: 3 Series, 37 Volumes, 65 Authors, 1,000 Books, 18,000 Chapters, 16 Million Words (Kindle Locations 551954-551962). Catholic Way Publishing. Kindle Edition.

2017/12/18 14:07Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Everyone here who celebrates saturnalia raise your hand!

2017/12/18 14:14Profile
savannah

"...the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys."

This sums it up well. It's quite the portrait of human nature. And at this season like no other, hypocrisy shines its brightest.

Note how he says,"...the only time I know of..." Throughout the calendar year the hypocrisy hides itself so well, but 'the lights are brightly shining' for the season.

Hollywood Hollywood
Hey Satan
Bake me a lie
As fast as you can

2017/12/18 20:18Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Many of us are fully aware of the origin of Christmas, and a Christian should not view this time of the year as the world does and operate in the same spirit of the world, but we have Christ living within us, the light of the world, and perhaps this is the only time that non Christians even thinks about Christ, even though they view Him as a babe in a manger. So why not use this season not to compromise our own beliefs, but to be a witness of the One that was born to die and take away the sin of the world.

2017/12/18 21:39Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

\\Many of us are fully aware of the origin of Christmas, and a Christian should not view this time of the year as the world does and operate in the same spirit of the world, but we have Christ living within us, the light of the world, and perhaps this is the only time that non Christians even thinks about Christ, even though they view Him as a babe in a manger. So why not use this season not to compromise our own beliefs, but to be a witness of the One that was born to die and take away the sin of the world.//

This is exactly how I see it. I take the chance and sing Christmas and talk about the birth of Christ to my unbelieving family.

2017/12/19 0:40Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

do you love Jesus or not as we only get two times a year to celebrate his birth or his incarnation when the god of this universe took on a human nature to come and die for our sins
do we hate Jesus as the world sure does and has been doing its upmost to rid the name of Jesus out of everything

the church seems to use the name of Jesus as lipservice and actually not deal with the actual Jesus of the gospels , the historical Jesus as a Christian we all will be meeting on judgement day

in the voyage of the dawn treader there is an island I. which people all say they revere the king until the actual king shows up, what they do not know is that they have taken the actual king a slave

why as christians can we wonder in the fact of Christ's birth and him taking on a human nature as that is a wonder in itself. why despise the freedom of celebrating Christmas whilst we still have the freedom to celebrate Jesus , alot of the feasts even in the old testament where to counteract the culture of the Canaanite culture as the lord wanted him honouring him rather than the idols , there is so much depth in the birth narratives and the church discussed for three hundred years in Christology , how Jesus could be both god and man , we celebrate the last vestiges of Christian society as they will try and outlaw it sooner or later as this world hates everything to do with Jesus and so do some chrisitans , they despise things such as chrisitans music or the Bible
they say they love Jesus but do not spend time in his word and find out about the real Jesus who they may not like
it upsets me to think we have forgotten that this same Jesus is going to judge the world and come back to destroy the antichrist

2017/12/19 2:36Profile
dspks

Dakotas

How many participate in the activity of marriage?

Did you know that the origin of SIN involved a husband and wife?
Can anyone here honestly participate in this activity KNOWING it’s history of failure, rebellion and destruction??

2017/12/19 14:20Profile
proudpapa

Re:

4Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.

2017/12/20 10:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy