SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : about Merry Christmas...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

about Merry Christmas...

I have a concern.... I really do not want to celebrate Christmas but people surrounding me celebrate it. I see that these people value Christmas but in their life, they really not following Jesus Christ. Atheists and non-believers also put up Christmas trees and say Merry Christmas, people also party and get drunk during this time of the year...

I had a talk with my mother in law, I am struggling because I am in a state of pleasing her because I love her dearly, last year, I went to christmas church service with her with a female priest there even it is against my will, I just could not say no to her. Now this Christmas 2017, I told her that I really do not celebrate Christmas and she replied to me that "it is her first time to meet someone who do not celebrate Christmas", and she explained and pursuaded me that something happened worldwide that is why we celebrate Christmas, well, I agreed and understood her reasoning to me that baby Jesus was born to save humanity, but as I've said, people today celebrate Christmas but they really not a true followers of Jesus Christ, and they live the rest of the year just for themselves....

My mother in law wants and expects me to come to same Christmas church service but how I can say no and free from my self of pleasing her and be free from fear of disappointing her?

2017/12/17 8:41

Re: about Merry Christmas...

Ermestiu writes...

▪▪▪

and she explained and pursuaded me that something happened worldwide that is why we celebrate Christmas, well, I agreed and understood her reasoning to me that baby Jesus was born to save humanity,

▪▪▪

Sister your mother-in-law is right. Something did happen on what we call Christmas Day. Jesus was born to save humanity. In the opening chapters of Matthew the angel tells Joseph that you will call His name Jesus and He will save His people from their sins (Mat.1:21). One of my favorite Christmas hymns is God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. One of the lines in that hymm that resonates in my spirit is...

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen let nothing you dismay.

Remember Christ Our Savior was born on Christmas Day.

To save us all from Satan's power when we have gone astray.

Oh Tidings of Comfort and Joy! Comfort and joy!

Granted that Jesus was not born December 25th. He probably was born on Passover perhaps in the spring sometine. But it is what the day commemorates. We celebrate the first Advent of our Lord Jesus Christ. He did come into the world to save us from our sins. And of course we wait for His second Advent which will be His soon return.

Actually I'm surprised you're hearing people say Merry Christmas. Most of the time they say happy holidays. But you can say Merry Christmas knowing what it means to you. It means your savior reigns in your heart. It means you have been saved from Satan's power and you have been saved from your sins. For this weekend truly say Merry Christmas and Hallelujah what Ssavior!!!

I would not ask you to go against your conscience. But sister be merciful to your mother-in-law. If going to the service means that you can reach out to her with the love of Jesus Christ. Then do so. I do not know if she knows Jesus or not. But if she is aware that the day does bring forth the Savior into the world. Then you've got a springboard to go on and share the love of Jesus with her. But again do what the Spirit lays on your heart.

These are just simply my thoughts. And might I say to you a very blessed Merry Christmas to you, my sister.

Bro Blaine

2017/12/17 9:05
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Why are people so afraid of Christmas as this may be the only chance you will get to witness to your mum, even thou jesus may not be born at Christmas.

As Christmas and Resurrection Day is the only time people will enter a church or even consider the gospel.

If you want to be Jewish and celebrate Hannakah I can point out to you the problems with that as there is no evidence for the miracle of the oil as it is in later sources such as the talmud.
Without Hannakah there is no Christmas but without Christmas, we are celebrating Jesus birth in Countries such as Saudi Arabia and other countries they are put in prison for celebrating christmas. We should enjoy the freedom to celebrate Jesus birth even thou it is more like his conception. When we celebrate Hymns that have more theology in them than any other time of the year.

Why cant we celebrate Christmas when he died for our sins and this is a chance to celebrate the gospel and to witness to your mum.

Jesus Birth Calculation

We can calculate Jesus birth at the Feast of Tabernacless
http://biblelight.net/sukkoth.htm

Problems with Hanukkah

Perhaps the most famous part of the story is what happened next: a tiny jar of oil kept the candles burning for the full eight days. However, this detail does not appear in any Jewish texts until 600 years later in the Talmud, mentioned in a larger discussion of why Hanukkah observance is so important
https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/the-maccabean-revolt/

The historicity of the miracle is in dispute as it actually goes against the old testament.

The thing is things like hannakah would also go against the fact that the temple would have to be lit with holy fire from heaven.

Strange Fire

Leviticus 10
1 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not.
2 And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.
3 Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that the LORD spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace.
4 And Moses called Mishael and Elzaphan, the sons of Uzziel the uncle of Aaron, and said unto them, Come near, carry your brethren from before the sanctuary out of the camp.
5 So they went near, and carried them in their coats out of the camp; as Moses had said.
6 And Moses said unto Aaron, and unto Eleazar and unto Ithamar, his sons, Uncover not your heads, neither rend your clothes; lest ye die, and lest wrath come upon all the people: but let your brethren, the whole house of Israel, bewail the burning which the LORD hath kindled.
7 And ye shall not go out from the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: for the anointing oil of the LORD is upon you. And they did according to the word of Moses.
8 And the LORD spake unto Aaron, saying,
9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:
10 And that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean;
11 And that ye may teach the children of Israel all the statutes which the LORD hath spoken unto them by the hand of Moses.
12 And Moses spake unto Aaron, and unto Eleazar and unto Ithamar, his sons that were left, Take the meat offering that remaineth of the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and eat it without leaven beside the altar: for it is most holy:
13 And ye shall eat it in the holy place, because it is thy due, and thy sons' due, of the sacrifices of the LORD made by fire: for so I am commanded.
14 And the wave breast and heave shoulder shall ye eat in a clean place; thou, and thy sons, and thy daughters with thee: for they be thy due, and thy sons' due, which are given out of the sacrifices of peace offerings of the children of Israel.
15 The heave shoulder and the wave breast shall they bring with the offerings made by fire of the fat, to wave it for a wave offering before the LORD; and it shall be thine, and thy sons' with thee, by a statute for ever; as the LORD hath commanded.
16 And Moses diligently sought the goat of the sin offering, and, behold, it was burnt: and he was angry with Eleazar and Ithamar, the sons of Aaron which were left alive, saying,
17 Wherefore have ye not eaten the sin offering in the holy place, seeing it is most holy, and God hath given it you to bear the iniquity of the congregation, to make atonement for them before the LORD?
18 Behold, the blood of it was not brought in within the holy place: ye should indeed have eaten it in the holy place, as I commanded.
19 And Aaron said unto Moses, Behold, this day have they offered their sin offering and their burnt offering before the LORD; and such things have befallen me: and if I had eaten the sin offering to day, should it have been accepted in the sight of the LORD?
20 And when Moses heard that, he was content

They were not allowed to use natural fire in the temple it had to be Gods fire , the Maccabean Revolt went against this but there was one who did come into the temple who had true holy fire and that was Jesus, that is why I celebrate christmas rather than Hannakah,

Without Hannakah, Jesus would not be able to celebrate Torah, he would not be circumcised and would not have Jewish things.

Yet without celebrating Jesus birth we would not have Salvation, we would not have the gospel, even thou all the trimmings of things like Father Christmas and that Constitine made christmas a celebration of Jesus birth.

They were not allowed to make new anointing oil

Exodus 30
22 Moreover the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
23 Take thou also unto thee principal spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty shekels,
24 And of cassia five hundred shekels, after the shekel of the sanctuary, and of oil olive an hin:
25 And thou shalt make it an oil of holy ointment, an ointment compound after the art of the apothecary: it shall be an holy anointing oil.
26 And thou shalt anoint the tabernacle of the congregation therewith, and the ark of the testimony,
27 And the table and all his vessels, and the candlestick and his vessels, and the altar of incense,
28 And the altar of burnt offering with all his vessels, and the laver and his foot.
29 And thou shalt sanctify them, that they may be most holy: whatsoever toucheth them shall be holy.
30 And thou shalt anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office.
31 And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, This shall be an holy anointing oil unto me throughout your generations.
32 Upon man's flesh shall it not be poured, neither shall ye make any other like it, after the composition of it: it is holy, and it shall be holy unto you.
33 Whosoever* compoundeth any like it, or whosoever putteth any of it upon a stranger, shall even be cut off from his people.

Leviticus 9:24
King James Bible
And there came a fire out from before the LORD, and consumed upon the altar the burnt offering and the fat: which when all the people saw, they shouted, and fell on their faces.

1 Chronicles 21:26
David built an altar there to the LORD and sacrificed burnt offerings and peace offerings. And when David prayed, the LORD answered him by sending fire from heaven to burn up the offering on the altar.

2017/12/17 9:32Profile

:)

Thank you for your insights, brothers! :)

2017/12/17 9:54

Re: :)

You are most welcome my sister 😊

2017/12/17 12:16
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: :)

Maybe I just don't understand, or want to understand, but why would some folks or "should I say Christians" not want to celebrate a season called Christmas, it even has the word "Christ" in it. I will say this, because of my personal loss in the past 5 years, I don't celebrate in the same way I use to, tree, lights, decorations, and the cooking of a big meal for 10 family members or so, I've just lost that desire. Christmas is very hard for me, but I do my best to help others enjoy Christmas, because watching others celebrate and enjoy Christmas, is therapy for me, I feel this is what my wife and son would have wanted me to do. Yes! I so miss the old Christmas's we use to all have as a family, you better believe it's very hard this time of year, but I'm still alive, and I can help others, and by doing this it helps me.
God Bless! And Merry Christmas To All Of You...

2017/12/17 12:20Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Evangeline,

Christmas isn't about you or me (I have a hard time with Christmas because of something that happened when I was a child), but I have learned through the years that celebrating with family and friends is what it is about, not what the title of day is. Does that make sense?

Paul said that God loves a "cheerful giver." I do not believe that is just monetary ($$$), I believe that God loves a cheerful giver of our time, our love as well as our money.

If you cannot cheerfully spend time with your mother-in-law doing something she loves, then please find something else to do that night and tell her you are busy.

Love should win the day, not our stubbornness to a holiday. It's taken me many wasted years to realize this.

God bless you,
Sister Lisa

2017/12/17 13:16Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Your life is preaching even when you don’t say anything! Lazarus didn’t need to preach a message after he was raised from the dead. He was the message.

2017/12/17 13:37Profile
savannah

Evangeline - "I really do not want to celebrate christmas..."

Me - Then don't!

Evangeline - "I told her that I really do not celebrate Christmas and she replied to me that "it is her first time to meet someone who do not celebrate Christmas"..."

Me - Then don't. There are a good number of people who do not celebrate Christmas.

Q. Have you discussed this, and your other concerns you've made public on this forum, with your own husband?

If not, why not?

By my asking you these questions, please realize that I don't believe you are obligated to me (or anyone else, other than your own husband) to answer. You must have a clear conscience before God in whatever decision you make.

He (Lord Jesus) will not withhold from you, His will, if you but beseech Him in humble prayer and sincerity.

Go and do this.

2017/12/17 17:28Profile

To Savannah

My husband is not a very firm believer like me, if my husband is, then it is very easy to stand a decision in my mind about the things biblically as someone will be my head/leader....

2017/12/17 18:16

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy