SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Holy Hip-Hop Music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
PosterThread

Re: Holy Hip Hop

Hi guys,

I really don't know about music history but, am horrified at these thoughts coming through. I've honestly never heard anything like it!

Quote:
As a southerner... I've seen racism first hand all my life. Thank God it's better than it was... but I see racism in the fight over styles of music.

Quote:
I was once railed for my admiration of john Coltrane's music, simply beacuse he's black.

When I was living in W Africa as a child, our local hospital choir sang not only traditional hymns but also, Christian songs composed by local musicians. Interesting to me was the blend of crazy and clever rhythm keeping, with harmonies and systems which made the best of all voices and could be accompanied by simple percussion. It was all taught and learned in sol-fah, too, which is readily transferrable across instruments (brass) and ages. Looking back though, it was pretty staid - possibly as a nod to the (white) missionaries) by comparason with blues or jazz. Another world. We just expected to mix. I really hope this doesn't sound 'cocky', ZekeO.

2005/7/1 15:51
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:
I really hope this doesn't sound 'cocky', ZekeO.

huh! :-?

That flew over my head and crashed into the wall behind me.

2005/7/1 16:09Profile

Re: Holy Hip Hop

Explanation to ZekeO... I noticed you used that phrase in a comment to someone else in a different thread - a little joke, I think - and I wanted to defuse any impression of smugness from my post. In W Africa until 1960s, generally, white men were in charge, although they worked alongside well-educated Africans. Getting this impression during my childhood, has left me feeling very vulnerable in a world where no matter what colour you are, it might be the wrong one. This simply was never my experience 'til recently. The idea that [i]today[/i] one could be steered away from [i]Christian[/i] music because the artist is black, strikes me as bewildering.

2005/7/1 17:42

Re:

By the way, let me clarify this... I am NOT saying that if a preacher stands up and rails against jazz, rock, whatever, that he is doing so because he is a racist. I am saying that the ROOT of this is racism from the earlier part of the 1900's. There are those who sincerely believe that musical styles are evil, and they dont have a racist bone in their body. But the ROOTS of this issue goes back the turn of the century, and mainly began against blues music coming out of the south. N----r music, as it was called back then. It was also called "race music".

Kinda like alcohol. Some churches preach total abstinence from alcohol, even tho that is not taught in the Bible with the exception of a few Jewish sects in the OT. In many cultures, wine is a staple of their diet today, and Christian partake and think nothing of it. Yet in America many churches teach abstinence from alcohol as tho it was the 11th commandment and part of the Sermon on the Mount. HOWEVER, you can trace the churches stand against alcohol back to just before prohibition in the early 1900's. Did y'all realize the the Puritans in New England made their own beer? Thats a fact.

I'm not recommending that everyone run out and buy a 6-pack! I'm merely pointing out that in the church we have these "doctrines" that have no basis in the Bible, yet we think they do.

Kinda like the woman who always cut the ends off the roast before putting it in the roaster. One day her husband asked why she did that. She didnt know, just that her grandmother always did it that way. One day they were visiting her grandmother, and her husband asked her why she always cut the ends off the roast. Grandmother answered, "Back during the Depression I couldnt afford a nice roaster, so I had to use a pot that was too small to fit a roast in... so I would cut the ends off so it would fit."

Krispy

2005/7/2 7:41

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy