SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The role of prophets in the New Testament

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

The role of prophets in the New Testament

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

As we are discussing Eph 4 and the unity of the body, I find that the role of the prophet in the body of Christ is most misunderstood.

Some say teaching doctrine and prophesy is the same. I do not think so. Some say prophets are no longer necessary since we have the full canon of scripture. I do not share this view. Some say prophecying is about dreams and visions and foretelling the future in part. I think this may be part of it, but not all.

Apostles are builders and found new fellowships. After its establishment they move on and may keep an advisory role.
Evangelists bring new people into the kingdom of God and help fellowships to evangelize.
Pastor serve with instruction in the word and pastors care for sole and both roles may be contained in the same person.

The prophet, as I understand it will bring mostly bring correction to the body of Christ. Some say that real prophets should better be itinerant, because their message can be hard and fiery and bring conviction and will cause a stirr in the body. In times of distress and persecution, prophets may bring messages of consolation, just as Jeremiah. They afflict the comfortable and confort the afflicted.

I do believe that there is both the gift of prophesy in within the body of Christ. Brothers and sisters can prophesy, but they may not be in the office of a prophet.

As the end of all things is drawing closer and events in the world match up with prophesy in scripture. We are told that many false prophets will arise, and we have witnessed it.

I think we are very much in need for true prophets that serve the body of Christ in our present days.

Do any of you know some good teaching material on the subject of New Testament prophets and prophesy?

2017/12/9 10:18Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: The role of prophets in the New Testament

Isn't the New Testament sort of a prophet? Doesn't it tell us all we need to know about the future already? Is it possible for someone to add to what the Bible already tells us? The only way I could imagine the need of a prophet today, would be if God forgot to tell us something, who knows, maybe he could supplement his word through man, his ways are not our ways.

2017/12/9 11:13Profile
ArthurRosh

NT prophetic gift is explaining spiritual truths of Scripture for building up the church in strength and maturity in Christ.

1 Corinthians 2:13
But those things we speak are not in the teaching of the words of the wisdom of men, but in the teaching of the Spirit, and we compare spiritual things to the spiritual (Or, explaining spiritual things to spiritual people).

It is good idea to study Scripture and writings of early church fathers.

2017/12/9 13:31Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

[NT prophetic gift is explaining spiritual truths of Scripture for building up the church in strength and maturity in Christ. ]

I see this rather as a description of the teaching ministry. The ministry of the prophet must differ from teaching, otherwise it would be pointless to list prophets separately.

2017/12/9 13:46Profile
jochbaptist

They afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted..

I like that!

2017/12/9 15:47Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

They afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted..

I read this somewhere, not sure who said that, sounds a bit like Ravenhill

2017/12/9 16:00Profile
dohzman

I. Agree

To a certain extent I do not believe the NTprophet is to much different than the OT prophet was. Excluding the cannon of scripture. I believe The they are servants Of The Holy Spirit given to prayer and moved by The Holy Spirit to warn both the church and society at large Acts 11:28 and Acts 21:11. There are subtle things one can notice here, the most obvious being how easy it was that the early church accepted or received what was spoken.

Unfortunately in this day I do not believe anyone is listening. We have become a society of instant gratification and want instant manifestation. David Wilkerson fore told of the California fires,that as part of divine.judgement, obviously no one was listening.. So the full time prophet lives with burdens is given to a life of intercession and operates in The Spirit both in the church and on God,s behalf in The world. .
I personally have been vexed and saddened greatly by the misuse by some of their calling in this office and because of this The prophet has been diminished in this day and become a freak side show more like one in entertainment rather tha one delivering a Holy Word directed by God The Holy Spirit.

2017/12/9 17:19Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: I. Agree

Nothing against David Wilkerson, but I'm pretty sure we believers knew about the fires way before David Wilkerson was on the scene, just read your Bible. (Acts-2:19) And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke. The Word might not pin them down to California, God doesn't have to do that, why? because then we would all just be looking for fires in California, instead of every possible place. It's all in the Bible folks, God did not leave anything out, it's all in the Bible.

War on a large scale.—Matthew 24:7; Revelation 6:4.

Famine.—Matthew 24:7; Revelation 6:5, 6.

Great earthquakes.—Luke 21:11.

Pestilences, or epidemics of “terrible diseases.”—Luke 21:11.

Increase of crime.—Matthew 24:12.

Ruining of the earth by mankind.—Revelation 11:18.

Deterioration of people’s attitudes, as shown by many who are “unthankful, disloyal, . . . not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride.”—2 Timothy 3:1-4.

Breakdown of the family, with people who have “no natural affection” and children who are “disobedient to parents.”—2 Timothy 3:2, 3.

Love of God growing cold in most people.—Matthew 24:12.

Noteworthy displays of religious hypocrisy.—2 Timothy 3:5.

Increased understanding of Bible prophecies, including those related to the last days.—Daniel 12:4.

Global preaching of the good news of the Kingdom.—Matthew 24:14.

Widespread apathy and even ridicule toward the evidence of the approaching end.—Matthew 24:37-39; 2 Peter 3:3, 4.

The simultaneous fulfillment of all these prophecies, not just a few or even most of them.—Matthew 24:33.

In my opinion,God is the only One who can predict the future, and make His predictions come true.

2017/12/9 18:56Profile
dohzman

Re: love

Nice list but I believe Wilkerson s was smaller , as fires were concerned I believe California Nevada Florida specific and New York City was to have 1000 fires from civil unrest and a military presence..
AGABUS the word he delivered in today’s church would have left.many starving to death, I mean Jesus did say that there would be famines, the difference than verses now is the church knew how to respond and where to respond.

Amos 3:7, that is a principle which has never changed. But I do understand what you are saying the trouble is in your last statement you are just wrong God works with and through people in a sleeping church and an unbelieving world. The genuine office of prophet today is very much like like in the OT. I do not believe we have seen many of them but they are out there faithfully interceding and being moved by The Spirit as directed.

2017/12/9 20:09Profile
dohzman

Re: love

Nice list but I believe Wilkerson s was smaller , as fires were concerned I believe California Nevada Florida specific and New York City was to have 1000 fires from civil unrest and a military presence..
AGABUS the word he delivered in today’s church would have left.many starving to death, I mean Jesus did say that there would be famines, the difference than verses now is the church knew how to respond and where to respond.

Amos 3:7, that is a principle which has never changed. But I do understand what you are saying the trouble is in your last statement you are just wrong God works with and through people in a sleeping church and an unbelieving world. The genuine office of prophet today is very much like like in the OT. I do not believe we have seen many of them but they are out there faithfully interceding and being moved by The Spirit as directed.

2017/12/9 20:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy