SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The life of faith.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The life of faith.

A life of faith is not a life of one glorious mountaintop experience after another, like soaring on eagles wings, but it is a life of day in and day out consistency; a life of walking without fainting ( see Isaiah 40:31) It is not even a question of holiness and sanctification, but of something which comes much further down the road. It is a faith that has been tried and proved and has withstood the test. Abraham is not a type or an example of the holiness or sanctification, but a type of the life of faith- a faith tested and true, built on the true God. (Oswald Chambers-My Utmost for His Highest)

God honors the saints who have been tried and tested. He knows, He sees, He understands. He measures the man on the inside. The younger slightly arrogant saint believes he is holy and sanctified. Yet, let that man walk through the fires of life. Loss of a wife, or a child maybe. Robbed, beaten, hated. No standing in life. Loss in general. Does he still love God? Is his heart still pursuing God? No matter what happens does he still fall upon his God and keep on walking down the narrow path of life? It’s not about the ministry you have. It’s not about how other men perceive you. It’s not about success in this life. It’s about knowing Him. Yes, that is what it is about, knowing Him and being found in Him.The more you know Him the less you need to know where your going. God knows.

The poor Pentecostal often believes it comes through the waving of a magic wand represented by the hand of the latest preacher. The poor fundamentalist believes that faith comes through study. The saint that has walked through the flood and through the fire and through a thousand storms knows that God is faithful and true. He understands that is not about his own faith but it is about God’s faithfulness. The realization of Gods faithfulness enhances our faith in God. Only one way to do that. It wont come through study. It wont come through prayer and it wont come through your own personal holiness, as great as all of these things are. Faith is obedience to the small still voice to go forward into the unknown. Faith is about still standing when the storm has raged and beaten upon your life. Faith is born and is watered in and by the storms of life. Faith is tempered and hardened by the fiery furnaces we are called to walk through.

Abraham did many things wrong. On more than one occasion he was willing to pretend he was not married in order to save his own life, hardly the stuff of hero’s. Yet in the end, Abraham was willing to suffer the loss in order to be found in Him because he knew Him. Paul counted all things as loss in order to be found in Him. Have you walked through the fires of life? Have you suffered loss? Are you still standing upon the foundation of Jesus? Is He you very life? Faith, tested and true is a beautiful thing and it pleases God. Imagine that saints, it pleases God........ bro Frank

2017/11/29 9:34
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: The life of faith.

And not only so, but we glory in tribulation also, knowing that tribulation puts endurance to work. Endurance leads to experience of God's faithfulness to those who endure. Experience leads to earnest expectation that God will come through in future circumstances. This is faith! And hope, earnest expectation, does not make ashamed because through all of this process we have experienced the love of God shed abroad in our hearts. Faith worketh by love!

It is in the daily, intimate walk with the Father that our faith is built. He never leaves. He never forsakes us. He is our strength in weakness. He is our joy in the midst of painful trials.

Actually, I have never grown in my walk with the Lord from times when everything was coasting along. I have always grown as I have had to press into His presence in the midst of difficulties. It is in those times that I grow.

He is so faithful!!!!!

Praise God for the prayers of others when they lay hands on me. Praise God that there are times when something of the Spirit of God is imparted by the laying on of hands: I have experienced it. Praise God for the study of His word. Praise God for sound doctrine. But that doctrine and that impartation are meant to draw me closer to Him in intimacy where I find strength and growth into maturity.

I was never meant to live my Christian life from impartation. I was never meant to live my Christian life from intellectual study of the Bible. I was meant to live in intimate relationship with my creator. The enmity has been put to death on the cross. Reconciliation has been accomplished. I can once again KNOW Him in reality and in truth. I can walk with Him as friend with friend as a son of God, and worship Him as Lord and Master and Savior.

And it is in this walk of intimacy that He reveals to me His love, His character, His nature, His strength, His holiness. And it is in this revelation that He changes me form glory to glory into His image. It is in this revelation that He makes me a partaker of His divine nature. He is making me like Him. As He is, so am I in this earth. Faith is the natural outflow of this relationship. I know Him, so I find it perfectly natural to trust Him.

2017/11/29 15:04Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

One more thought. If I do not find it natural to trust Him, it is like a thermometer that is taking the temperature of my relationship with Him.

2017/11/29 15:41Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Well said and what a blessing to read thanks Travis and Frank.

2017/11/29 18:53Profile

Re:

Bro Travis writes.........

"Actually, I have never grown in my walk with the Lord from times when everything was coasting along. I have always grown as I have had to press into His presence in the midst of difficulties. It is in those times that I grow."

This is exactly right and a great point. Might I add though, that it can be difficult when there seems to be no battle going on. I often find those times the most difficult, I can feel like a fish out of water and I have have to learn to be content when there is nothing going on. This kind of learning has been difficult for me. Throw me into a battle and its swords and battle-axes and falling on my knees and getting really close to the Lord. Then in the calm windless seasons I have to learn to appreciate and still press into the Lord. I use to go to a home-group. I really liked the couple that ran it. They had five children and three of them were severely handicapped, mother was a carrier of some syndrome. God used this couple mightily. All three of the children died within a number of years of each other. One was 17, the other 13 and the youngest of the handicapped kids was ten. In the midst of all those years they had a desperate need to be close to Jesus just to get through each day. When the last child died they confessed to me that they were worried that they would now lose their closeness, their intensity with the Lord.

The Lord tells us in the Scriptures that His grace is sufficient for us and of course that is so true. He never leaves or nor forsakes us and when the enemy comes in like a flood He raises up a standard. So, having said all that, there seems to be a different kind of lesson to be learned in the quiet seasons of our lives. I think for most genuine saints though, these really quiet seasons are few and far between :) Nice to be able to learn to lay down in green pastures as well as rise up and fight the good fight. God bless you bro Travis, good word..........bro Frank

2017/11/30 1:03
leyoung

Re:

Amen to all of you, brothers.
Our God is faithful and true. It is good to know we are not alone on this pilgrimage. Thank you, as ever Bro Frank, for the eloquent and quiet strength you speak to us in Christ. May the Lord soothe the furrows in your brow.
In Jesus
Sis L

2017/11/30 10:53Profile

Re:

I am the proud owner of some furrows sister :) God bless you sister.............bro Frank

2017/11/30 19:38
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: The life of faith.

Brother Frank and Travis,

Thank you so much for sharing on the "life of faith". This is such an important topic, I would hope that it would generate some discussion on this forum.

The two main things that both of you brought out on living a life of faith is in knowing God through an intimate relationship with Him, and knowing through experience the faithfulness of God.

Jesus Christ is the author and finisher of our faith. It is the God kind of faith that we are after, and praise God that every born again child of God has been given the measure of faith. However, that faith can grow through exercise or can remain weak through inactivity. Unlike Brother Frank, I personally do not like trials and hardship, but as Brother Travis has so well said, that it is through the trials of this life that I have grown the most, and I would not trade them for anything. The Word of God instructs us to "count it all joy when you fall into various trials." Why? Because the trying of our faith is working something in us. The Word of God says that it is much more precious than gold, and it is working patience or endurance in us, steadfastness, so that we might be perfect and entire wanting nothing. (James 1:3,4).

2017/12/1 9:42Profile

Re:

Just for clarification bro Mike, I do not like trials and tribulations. Just had several years of intense trials and I am certainly glad to see the back of them. I think my point is that we are warriors, we are called into the army of the Lord. I like the old Hymn "Stand up , stand up for Jesus ye soldiers of the cross, lift high the royal banner it must not suffer loss." In the midst of the battle or the trial we are clearly, by necessity, more dependent upon the Lord and that part is good. Imagine the three Hebrew children, thrown into the mighty furnace and discovering Jesus was right there with them, imagine how strong their faith was after the furnace. It was already strong and bold but now they would have been taken to new levels. That's kinda the point I was trying to make. God bless bro Mike.............bro Frank

2017/12/2 0:01

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy