SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Social Media

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Social Media

As I take a break and deactivated my facebook, I saw this timely posted in the Youtube channel I subscribed...

Is It Spiritually Better To Leave Social Media?
-> https://youtu.be/L5sLBYeNrLw

Here is my thought about this video:
"It is not bad to be abstinent from Facebook and have more time devoting to Jesus Christ, reading the Bible, worshipping God and praying, these not equate of being in monastery or being a monk as I still do the normal life everyday. But I would be happy in the Judgement of Jesus Christ that I spend more time with God here on my earthly life than browsing photos in Facebook and reading statuses of people that have no impact for the Kingdom of Jesus Christ to come...."

What you Saints think?

2017/11/10 15:17
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Social Media

Facebook has some benefits especially for family and friends separated by miles but yes it can be an idol like anything else

2017/11/10 16:46Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Evangeline, I really can’t comment, I was on Facebook for the very first 3 months it originated, I just never felt it was for me, so I deleted my account. I have never regretted deleting my account. All my family and friends tell me I should join up again, I just don’t have the desire to. I don’t have any issues with Facebook, it’s just not for me.

2017/11/10 18:24Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

One of the designers of FB said earlier today that they designed it to be addictive, to “consume as much of the users time as possible” “by exploiting a vulnerability in human psychology by creating a feedback loop of affirmation for the user”... he also said they knew upfront what they were doing and did it purposely.
He also expressed concern over the affects on the brains of users, especially younger users creating a dependency.

I fasted media for one day several years ago and after realizing the affects, I deleted FB shortly after.
It seems some can use it while others are used by it-

2017/11/10 19:53Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Very true Fletcher.

2017/11/10 20:19Profile

Re:

Thank you Evangeline for the thread.
I'm not on FB, I never felt "comfortable" with the idea but didn't think much more of it.

Now I would just like to add a bit more to Fletchers post by quoting from the same interview:
"When Facebook was getting going, I had these people who would come up to me and they would say, 'I'm not on social media.' And I would say, 'OK. You know, you will be.' And then they would say, 'No, no, no. I value my real-life interactions. I value the moment. I value presence. I value intimacy.' And I would say, ... 'We'll get you eventually.'"

"I don't know if I really understood the consequences of what I was saying, because [of] the unintended consequences of a network when it grows to a billion or 2 billion people and ... it literally changes your relationship with society, with each other ... It probably interferes with productivity in weird ways. God only knows what it's doing to our children's brains." (Sean Parker, the founding president of Facebook)

I believe we are getting more and more sucked into to devils world without realising it.
I'm getting more and more concerned about all the online tools and forums etc. It comes at the expense of real-life interactions and intimacy.

2017/11/12 2:10

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy