SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : That the body of sin might be done away with

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

That the body of sin might be done away with

To let your fleshly nature control your thinking is death, but to let the Holy Spirit control the way you think produces life and peace. There is no way to bring your fleshly nature into obedience to God. It will never obey God. Don't try to make it obey God. Don't try to make it religious. Don't try to take it to church, and sit for hours in meetings and go through a lot of religious exercises trying to make it obey God. It will not obey God; it cannot do so. It is incurably corrupt, a rebel to the roots.

What is the remedy? God's solution is execution.The good news is, the execution took place more than nineteen centuries ago. When Jesus died on the cross, our old man, that carnal nature, was put to death in Him. What we have to to do is simply apply what Jesus accomplished for us on the cross.

"Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him (Jesus), that the both of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin." (Romans 6:6)

This is a historical fact - true whether we know it or not, whether we believe it or not. When we know and believe it, however, it works in us. Again, I have to point out a problem with much of the contemporary Church: Most Christians do not know they have been crucified with Christ.

(From "Bought with Blood: The Divine Exchange at the Cross" - by Derek Prince. Ch 14 - "Deliverance from the Flesh")

2017/10/27 14:58Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: That the body of sin might be done away with

David: I cannot begin to tell you how much this fact has become revelation to me in the past year or so. Thank you for the post. I hope tomorrow to have time to expound.

2017/10/27 21:14Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I was thinking on Colossians 3 today alot and as Christ is our Life and we have been crucified with him we are also required to mortify the flesh here daily on earth. It is part of the narrow way of discipleship of following Jesus. Only those crucified with Christ will desire to do so, as our mind and heart are on things above.

Colossians 3:1-15King James Version (KJV)

3 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

2017/10/27 21:59Profile
docs

Re:

Those that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:24)

Based on what Christ has already bore on the cross.

2017/10/28 8:59Profile
amajesticone

Massachusetts

Re:

There is a circumcision made without hands in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; the Cross being the surgical instrument for the spiritual surgery.
(Colossians 2.)

2017/10/29 13:36Profile
docs

Re:

Discussion question:

Now that I know I need to crucify my flesh HOW do I do it daily? In what way and by what means do saints accomplish this?

2017/10/29 17:04Profile

Re:

David asks...

"Now that I know I need to crucify my flesh HOW do I do it daily? In what way and by what means do saints accomplish this?"

Pauls answer...

So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh - for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die, but if by the Spirit you're putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.••• Romans 8:12-13

If I read this correctly it seems to Holy Spirit applies the cross to our lives. Only by the power of the Spirit can we put to death the deeds of the body or crucify the flesh.

Simply my two cents.

Bro Blaine

2017/10/29 17:26
Elibeth

Re:

Re:
"Now that I know I need to crucify my flesh HOW do I do it daily? In what way and by what means do saints accomplish this?"

Brother David,
This is my only thoughts on this,...and please realize that I am not saying this is you.....we each have to examine our own lives,..

May I take us back in thought to the beginning,..when this grace of God first was drawing us to 'God' ?...How we began to allow His 'grace' to work in us,through The Spirit ?...Working His will / His Way ...His Word,..
How we changed,....and how our change, was VERY NOTICEABLE ?

Remember in Acts, the first church, it said GREAT GRACE, was on them,..

Did we maybe at some point in life sort of dismiss, this 'grace', and go on about our lives, until the strong drawing of His Grace dewindled ?

The Word said Jesus was 'full' of grace,...He was drawed to His Father,
God,(who is The Word) totally.

Paul and others began their letter to others and now to us, he / they realized the value of God' Grace, and our relationship with The Lord, and of this death to self and life to God, ...it's nessessity in our lives
toward God.
They understood this Grace,and the importance it was, he knew it took / takes The Grace of God, ......The bringing to our attention,and the strength it takes to die....The Holy Spirit's working in us, though grace.

Paul would always say 'Grace and peace to you from God the Father'
.......can we truly have peace, without this grace ?

So, we cry out ,
........grace,..more grace Lord, for us all.🛐

Loving and caring,
---------------
elizabeth

2017/10/29 19:54Profile
amajesticone

Massachusetts

Re:

Brother David,

I wish I had a formula, or a "how to" to give you but all of mine came crashing down at the Cross. I was to discover that I could not crucify myself but that God had already crucified me In Christ. "But by HIS DOING are you in Christ Jesus who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption" (1 Corinthians 1:30).
The only way I can explain what happens when I am faced with the flesh is that "I sink down into the death that I have already died in."

I have discovered that we who have been "born of God" have been given a new set of faculties to "hear" and "see" and "know." We have the Anointing WITHIN us to teach us all things. The Holy Spirit takes the things of Christ and reveals them to us. We are in the School of Christ, learning Him.

The Lord was very gracious to me and sent "helps" in times
of great spiritual need when I thought I was losing my mind.
"The Normal Christian Life" by Watchman New is exceptional on Romans 1-8. "KNOWING, RECKONING, PRESENTING, WALKING." It can be freely downloaded.

Also the ministry of T. Austin-Sparks. All his books are available free upon request, and the website of his ministry is austin-sparks.net
"The Great Transition From One Humanity to Another" came in my mailbox many years ago ... unrequested :) To this day, I don't know how I got on the mailing list, but the books arrived once or twice a year ... always at the
proper time :) I am forever grateful.

The Lord hears the cries of our hearts and is faithful; worthy to be trusted.
💜

2017/10/30 9:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy