SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question about Seventh Day Adventist

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Question about Seventh Day Adventist

Has anyone in the Forum had any experience with Seventh Day Adventist? Are they considered a cult? Or are they brothers and sisters in the Lord?

I have been attending a SDA church with a friend of mine here in Denver. They appear to come across as believers in Christ. Yet they have an emphasis on Saturday as the Sabbath.

Just wondering if anybody can provide some more insight.

Bro Blaine

2017/10/22 16:49
passerby

Re: Question about Srventh Day Adventist

I guess you will have discenment if it is just a docrinal idolization or a following of a false gospel as defined in the book of Galatians.

2017/10/22 17:48Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Question about Srventh Day Adventist

I believe they are not a cult and there are true believers. It is my understanding that they tend to believe following the OT law is sort of for Christians today.(beyond just sabbath keeping). They believe in soul sleep and annihilationism- neither of which I have a huge problem with, depending on which version of annihilationism they believe in.

2017/10/22 18:05Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

A while back I heard a great audio message by Phil Johnson in which he classified the SDA church as a cult and provided ample evidence for them being one. I won't provide the link to it here because I'm not sure if that would be okay, but I'd encourage googling it if led.

2017/10/22 18:06Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

EDIT:

The audio file will share this but one of the main doctrines of the modern SDA Church is that the Mark of the Beast is Sunday Worship. Hence they keep Saturday worship as the Sabbath.

---

I agree with much of the research and conclusions shared in this talk below. Of course there are genuine believers and some true doctrines held by SDA. It was a re-hashing of the Adventist movement which had even more genuine believers involved but feel prey to dates and timing of the Lord's coming and there was a fall-out among them. SDA is basically an attempt to continue and gather in those large crowds in those days.

If the Lord does not build the house...

Seventh-Day Adventism a Cult? by Phil Johnson
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=25907&commentView=itemComments

Topic: Cult
Scripture(s): Colossians 2:16-23
Description: I'm just going to read a short passage from Colossians 2 without comment to start with. I want to revisit the subject of Seventh-Day Adventism this morning, and I'm going to start with Colossians 2:16-23. This is a key biblical text, warning us against any cult or -ism or philosophy of religion that stresses human works things like legal obedience, ceremonies, dietary rules, asceticism, or other works you can perform and supposedly achieve holiness through ritualized self-denial. I'm reading from Colossians 2:16-23.

2017/10/22 18:54Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Glad to see that that message is part of the SI audio archives.

2017/10/22 19:32Profile
savannah

Re: Question about Seventh Day Adventist

Dale Ratzlaff was a conservative, fourth generation Seventh-day Adventist (SDA). He received all his formal education in SDA schools, graduated from the Seventh-day Adventist seminary, pastored two Seventh-day Adventist churches, and taught Bible in a Seventh-day Adventist school for seven years. In the 1980s, while nearing the end of his doctoral program at Andrews University, he became convinced that the SDA doctrine of the investigative judgment and cleansing of the heavenly sanctuary could not be supported by Scripture, was contrary to clear biblical teaching and undermined the new covenant gospel of grace. His conference president told him that he either had to promise to teach all of the Fundamental Beliefs of the SDA church or resign. Because he could not do this in clear conscience, Pastor Ratzlaff with his wife Carolyn, who was a denominationally employed Bible worker, left the SDA denomination.
Since that time, Pastor Ratzlaff has written four books dealing with Adventist issues.

Truth about Adventist "Truth"
www.lifeassuranceministries.com/pdf%20files/freett.pdf

Life Assurance Ministries, Inc. the sister organization to LAM
Publications, LLC, is a faith ministry. We currently mail
Proclamation!, a 32 page, full color journal to about 30,000 homes free of charge four times each year.
www.lifeassuranceministries.com

2017/10/23 6:42Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

https://www.adventist.org/en/beliefs/

The 28 Fundamentals beliefs of the SDA.

2017/10/23 9:44Profile

Re:

Looking at some of these fundamental beliefs one would think that the SDA's is were an evangelical protestant denomination. They seem to have orthodox views on the Trinity and the Bible. But yet still insist that the believer is under the law and the Sabbath. That is Saturday as a Sabbath as well as the dietary regulations. There may be some other things to that would call into question as to whether this movement a cult or is there enough of Christ to acknowledge them as brothers and sisters.

It sounds like they have faith in Christ for salvation. But it's Jesus plus a whole lot of baggage associated with Him. Anyway we'll look over what has been posted and appreciate your input. Thank you so much.

Bro Blaine

2017/10/23 11:25
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

I have had several encounters with SDA's personally, and also when I started the library at my church, had piles of their books that kept ending up in the review stack!

I do believe there are 7th day Adventists who do know the Lord. I have met them and examined them on a personal level, so it wasn't just theoretical. After doing research on them and their history, it appears to me that as a whole the SDA are a rare exception in that they started very, very far from orthodoxy and have--as time passed on--moved closer to orthodoxy. However, they are not their yet, as they still hold as highly as scripture, the teachings and writings of their "prophetess" Ellen G. White. Once they diminish their view of her writings, they will move even closer to orthodoxy.

And I definitely don't mean orthodoxy as defined by me, but as defined by the whole spectrum of evangelicalism.

2017/10/23 13:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy