SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Seeking God's Will?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
abide2

Seeking God's Will?

How do you individually seek to know God's will in your life when making decisions, commitments, etc.?

Thanks, bless you.

2017/10/16 19:28Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Seeking God's Will?

I have found George Mueller's advice on this topic most helpful;

1.—I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome when our hearts are ready to do the Lord's Will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is.

2.—Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression. If so, I make myself liable to great delusions.

3.—I seek the Will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.

4.—Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God's Will in connection with His Word and Spirit.

5.—I ask God in prayer to reveal His Will to me aright.

6.—Thus, through prayer to God, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. In trivial matters, and in transactions involving most important issues, I have found this method always effective.

2017/10/16 22:26Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Seeking God's Will?

Hello sister,

This is a very good question that you’re sure to get really good responses to here on SI as there are some seriously salty saints that frequent here:)

While I would in no way qualify as such at this stage of my life, this is a question that has been asked of me tons of times, so I’ll offer what light I have:)

Some of this may apply for you and some may not,...take and use what you will-

Firstly, “hearing” the Lord is often a matter of proximity, “draw near to God and He will draw near to you”
Secondly, consecrate one of your ears (I did left) so that at anytime, anywhere He has a direct line to you. Be and stay committed to giving this (His voice) priority over all things.
Thirdly, stop lying in all forms... even exaggeration. It has been observed that we tend to hear that which is familiar and since God is not a man that He should lie and the devil is the father of lies.... so be well acquainted with honesty and over time lies will become a foreign language. Which makes His voice much clearer for us:)
Fourthly, ask, believing! James 1:5
Fifthly, take comfort in that the Lord Himself has given you the desire to hear His voice and is drawing you unto Himself:)
Lastly, soak yourself in the Bible and in prayer and wait on Him.

Often we want an answer when we want it, based on our timeframe and the Lord has a different plan/timeline and we just frustrate ourselves and others when we resist it and fight Him- just trust Him and know that no matter what is or isn’t happening, the Lord is not surprised;)

Will lift you in prayer +:)

2017/10/16 22:37Profile
abide2

Re:

Thank you brothers, I appreciate you taking the time to respond and offer wisdom! Bless you

2017/10/17 17:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy