SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The terrible doctrine of the Remnant, by A.W. Tozer

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

The terrible doctrine of the Remnant, by A.W. Tozer

Dear saints:

I just read the following message from Tozer for the first time and it is "terrible" and sobering. Maybe some of you have read it before and maybe it might be good to read it again, Lord willing. But for those who have not, I thought it might be of interest:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=37999

2017/10/15 21:46

Re: The terrible doctrine of the Remnant, by A.W. Tozer

Tozer was undoubtedly a prophet.........bro Frank

2017/10/15 21:55
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Very good article. Sobering to say the least.

2017/10/15 23:44Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

This is also sobering what Tozer shares also, the remnant was usually together as a segment of people and not believers alone.

Quote:
I have known preachers that preached a lifetime and ended up telling dirty stories-ended up being dirty, filthy old men. It is entirely possible for us to teach Bible school and be board members and sing in choirs and take part in church services and then finally find out that we are castaways and have never been of the Remnant at all. That is an alarming thing, but I do not apologize for alarming you. I am afraid that we are not alarmed enough. We ought to be disturbed about this, for it is summed up in the text ” Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sands of the sea, a remnant shall be saved” ( Rom 9:27)

2017/10/16 7:11Profile

Re:

Tozer quote from Greg......

"I have known preachers that preached a lifetime and ended up telling dirty stories-ended up being dirty, filthy old men."

Yes indeed, the inevitable consequences of those who only every had the externals and had never been internally renewed. Nothing more dangerous and damaging than the merely religious...........bro Frank

2017/10/16 8:01
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"Yes indeed, the inevitable consequences of those who only every had the externals and had never been internally renewed. Nothing more dangerous and damaging than the merely religious>"

This is why Jesus was so hard on the religious people of His day. He called them snakes, hypocrites, white washed sepulchers. He loved them, but the only way to reach them was with the hammer and chisel of the Word. Ouch!!

Pride is deadly, and there is nothing so blinding as religious pride. Pride in knowing the scriptures, but never having experienced a change of heart.

At least most of the prostitutes and drug dealers know that they are sinners and are on their way to hell, so there is hope that they will come to repentance and the knowledge of the truth that will result in a true born again experience.

2017/10/16 8:44Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Hebrews 6:9-20King James Version (KJV)

9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,

14 Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.

15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.

16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.

17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;

20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

2017/10/16 8:46Profile

Re:

Mike writes.....

"This is why Jesus was so hard on the religious people of His day. He called them snakes, hypocrites, white washed sepulchers. He loved them, but the only way to reach them was with the hammer and chisel of the Word. Ouch!!

Pride is deadly, and there is nothing so blinding as religious pride. Pride in knowing the scriptures, but never having experienced a change of heart.

At least most of the prostitutes and drug dealers know that they are sinners and are on their way to hell, so there is hope that they will come to repentance and the knowledge of the truth that will result in a true born again experience."

Amen brother, pride is deadly and blinding. Hopefully the hammer and the chisel will reach them but in the end they cried out for Barabbas. They do pride themselves in the externals and even knowing and quoting the Scriptures but having never experienced the new birth, the change of heart, they will always prove themselves the deadliest enemies of the true saint. Satan detests the fact that men have a relationship with God, he is jealous of that and the jealousy leads to blind hatred and so it is with the religious men of this world who serve their god and not the true God.........bro Frank

2017/10/16 9:27
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

I think we also have to balance what Tozer wrote with verses like this: "After this I beheld, and lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and peoples, and kindreds, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb..." Revelation 7:9

2017/10/16 9:43Profile

Re:

I am sure Tozer would agree with that Nigel. Tozer was never speaking about some tiny amount of people like some of the cults like the church of Wells would portray. Ravenhill once stated that he though about 7% of professing Christians in the States were actually true Christians. The population of America is about 330 million. Around 80% of that number claim to be Christians. That would mean that 264,000,000 claim to be Christians. 7% of that is 18 million. I personally think the percentage is probably more like 20% which would make the number of genuine saints at around 53 million. That is a lot of saints and I praise God that even if you went with Ravenhill's number, you are still looking at around 20 million born again saints. God has a remnant and the great falling away and persecution will bring them together and that togetherness, that unity will be a witness to a very hostile world........bro Frank

2017/10/16 10:39

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy