SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jesus Christ's smile...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Jesus Christ's smile...

When I read the Bible, it is very serious Holy Book. Leonard Ravenhill said that "The Bible never glamorized the Gospel, it's very gory Gospel, it's a very bloody Gospel, it's a sacrificial Gospel..."

I've been thinking and devoting to Jesus Christ ministry with His Apostles. Do you think that Jesus Christ shared some laughter moments with His Apostles? and there were times they smiled? or they are always serious?

I pictured Jesus Christ smiling to the adulterous woman when He said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more." I pictured Jesus Christ giving a smile when He said "Give Me a drink" to that woman of samaria who was sleeping in a man she is not married. And also, when Jesus Christ called a child to Himself, saying he who humbles himself like the child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven, I pictured Jesus Christ smiling with that child He called.

The Pharisees are the one I pictured who are always grumpy :)

So what you think? Do you think Jesus Christ was very strict serious? Or He shown smiles and laughed?

2017/10/3 6:27
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Jesus Christ's smile...

Mark 10:21, Then Jesus looking at him, loved him...

I think, perhaps he smiled then, and possibly in the instances you have given.

I think anyone would find it hard to smile around a Pharisee.

2017/10/3 7:28Profile

Mark 10:21

"Mark 10:21, Then Jesus looking at him, loved him..."

Ah yeah, Mark 10:21, and that very one for example, I forgot that... :)

2017/10/3 8:01
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Mark 10:21

He was anointed with the oil of gladness above all of His fellows. This tells me that you can imagine the person that you know with the most glad or happy personality, and Jesus exceeded them.

2017/10/3 9:39Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

You can be a man of sorrows and still smile a lot. There is no doubt in my mind that Jesus smiled, and often. He was human after all.

2017/10/3 10:00Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

If Jesus never smiled he would have not been godly, if he didn't laugh he would not have been obedient, if he didn't enjoy his disciples and enjoy his time with his Father and rejoice in his life he would not have been made perfect.
Jesus gives to us what he is. Jesus gives us joy, peace, rejoicing, a light and glad spirit when we are obedient and when we are praising and worshipping in his presence. There is a time for weeping and a time for laughing. Jesus as Major Ian Thomas so eloquently said "He is the truth about God and the truth about man". If I want to see the truth about what man is and what man is about, I look at Jesus.
Picturing him as a pale gloomy fellow such as they depicted Jesus in "The greatest story ever told"; the writers smeared his person with gloom, dread, morose and morbid living. Some preachers seem pleased to present Jesus as the "man of sorrows" to the exclusion of any other kind of emotion or disposition of soul.
Someone will say "been made perfect" was done by suffering in obedience. Yes, but obedient suffering does not mean the soul and spirit are suffering as though they are alienated from God, as though they were alone to fight it out. Jesus perfection would never have been less than, cheerful, ready, and always joyful to give to the Father all that he wanted from Jesus at any time in any circumstance. His perfection demonstrated suffering with joy, obedience with a willing and joyful spirit.
Is not this very thing he requires of us? Would he ask of us something he would not or will not do himself?
It is us that are frequently doleful and often miserable suffering because our fleshly mind has yet to meet its sentence of death. Sometimes we cannot see Jesus beyond what we would expect Jesus to be to us. For many its a stern, hard, reaping where I didn't sow kind of person isolated from us as though we are a cockroach and He an every willing exterminator.

2017/10/3 19:05Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

We try so hard to figure out what Jesus might have did as he walked the earth. From what I understand his life was on really documented from a new born to around twelve, then from 30 to 33, don’t see how we can really figure out how he was in that short time, but some here might be able to.

2017/10/3 20:07Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Very true Bill- we do have to read between the lines because scripture does not specifically state that Jesus smiled or laughed.

However, we know children were drawn to him, and outcasts of society were drawn to him. I suspect this is because he smiled when he spoke with them.

I also suspect that the times he rebuked his disciples he may have been smiling as well. Shaking his head perhaps, but smiling.

2017/10/3 20:37Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Mr Bill: Didn't try hard at all, to me its harder to think of Jesus any other way than a joyful obedient man of God. There is no neutral state, there is no morbidity in godliness, there is no joylessness in holiness...and there is no argument being made from silence. We have abundant evidence for his perfect humanity which subjected him to every emotion and all kinds of temptations. It's no stretch of the imagination to see Jesus laughing because Jesus the same yesterday today and forever is joyful and sorrowful, wrathful to the wicked and rewarding the diligent server. God as seen in both testaments displays a variety of emotions. It is difficult to concoct something errant about our perfect Lord Jesus that does not correspond to humanity in its pure form.
Who would dare represent Jesus as someone who could never laugh or be joyful? How is it possible given the glorious and blessed experience of walking in peace and joy in the Holy Ghost that my emotions are somehow foreign to Jesus?
To me, it's entirely the opposite I see no scowling grimace or stern face or mean attitude and cruel demeanor. All of that belongs to the carnal mind hating God, resisting obedience, despising holiness, refusing sacrificial love. Jesus was none of those things and in turn was no sour-faced man dreading the human race he created. I thought Jesus despised the shame of crucifixion because of the joy (our redemption and reconciliation) set before him he endured the cross.
Well, we all know how joy puts a crusty ole face on us? No it doesn't, it brings forth a smile and a rejoicing heart.
When that glorious day comes and we are welcomed home "well done good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of the Lord" Am I to suppose there is no joy now? The angels rejoice of one sinner that repents. Yes, it even pleased the Father to Bruise the Son, for me. Morbidity and sourness belong to the fleshly life. Jesus had none of that and did none of that.

2017/10/3 21:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy