SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : why it is called "Lake"?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

why it is called "Lake"?

Jesus Christ said that MANY choose the broad way, broad path that end in destruction...

So why it is called "Lake of Fire" and not "Ocean of Fire"? Because Lake seems so small place if many people go there?

What you think is the spiritual meaning of "Lake"?

2017/9/28 13:39
TMK

NC, USA

Re: why it is called "Lake"?

Lake Superior is pretty big.

2017/9/28 15:46Profile

Re:

It is rendered "lake" in KJV English, but the original is in Greek. The Greek word could also be rendered "haven" or "harbor," and has a connotation of "outpouring" which, in some cases, speaks of a lake. In this instance, think of it as an outpouring of the wrath of God, a consuming fire that is never quenched.

2017/9/28 15:58

Re:

I realize that the bible and the Lord teach us that His salvation is more than being saved from the the lake of fire; however, my initial thought after reading Evangeline's question was that a natural lake is usually of a size that when you look at it you can see the entire body of water, but an ocean is obviously too immense. Then I thought of The Rich Man and Lazarus:

"The rich man also died and was buried, and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side" (Luke 16:22-23). Also, "26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’ 27 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father’s house— 28 for I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment."

Maybe in heaven there will be an alloted time, or for eternity, to see those suffering in the lake of fire as reminder to us of what Christ has done for us on the cross. "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ."

Some other questions, which I do not want to get away from the original, but: Is hell/the lake of fire in the center of the earth? Will hell be destroyed when the earth is destroyed?

"But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you,a not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.

Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells" (2 Peter 3: 7-13).

KM

2017/9/28 21:32

Commentaries on 2 Peter verses in chapter 3 on destroying earth with fire and judgement, etc:

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/2_peter/3-10.htm

2017/9/28 22:16

Gill commentary Rev. 19:20

"These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone; which is the second death, Revelation 21:8. The severe punishment of antichrist, considered in both his capacities, civil and ecclesiastic, is expressed by being "cast into a lake of fire", not material fire, but the wrath of God, which will be poured out like fire, and will be intolerable; and by this lake "burning with brimstone", which, giving a nauseous stench, aggravates the punishment. Says R. Joden (t), when a man smells the smell of brimstone, why does his breath draw back at it (or catch)? because he knows he shall be judged with it in the world to come. The allusion seems to be to the place where Sodom and Gomorrah stood, which is become a sulphurous lake, and is an emblem of the vengeance of eternal fire, Jde 1:7 and these two are said to be "cast alive" into it, which shows that they will not only suffer a corporeal death at this battle, and in the issue of it, but will be destroyed, body and soul, in hell: the phrase denotes the awfulness, inevitableness, and severity of their punishment; there seems to be some reference to the earth's swallowing up Korah and his company alive, Numbers 16:33 see Daniel 7:11" (http://biblehub.com/commentaries/gill/revelation/19.htm).

2017/9/28 22:25
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I would add that you wouldn't necessarily need an "ocean" to fit every person who is condemned to that horrible place.

After all, the entire population of the Earth -- more than 7 Billion inhabitants -- could fit within the flat, two-dimensional borders of Los Angeles.

The smallest of the Great Lakes, Lake Ontario, is about 15 times larger than the size of greater Los Angeles (and that doesn't include volume by depth).

One terrifying thing to think about though: We are accountable when it comes to telling people to avoid that terrible fate.

Are we making the most of this opportunity? Bringing someone to Christ is the greatest thing that we could ever do for any person. How many people will be condemned to such a fate that we could have done something to help them avoid it?

2017/9/29 0:34Profile

Re:

Spiritual "size" is an interesting concept, too, not just in regards to the lake of fire, but also here:

And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held. Revelation 6:9

How big is the heavenly altar? How small are their souls (and ours)?

These are not questions that can be conclusively answered from an earthly, human perspective.

2017/9/29 7:15

Thank you for all your insights...

Thinking about the Rich man and Lazarus story... And that rich man is still there up to now and no escape... :' /

Thank you for all your insights...

2017/9/29 17:01

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy