SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question about Proverbs 31

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Question about Proverbs 31

Can you give your thoughts about this?

I was wondering why there is no special passage of "The Husband of Noble Character" in the Bible like the equivalent of Proverbs 31 of description of a noble wife. The Bible simply commanded husband to love their wife... So, why the Bible gave so much "emphasis" of a characters of what a wife should be...

And also, I think, Proverbs 31 is a "very high standard" for a wife...

2017/9/24 14:20
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Question about Proverbs 31

Actually, since all saints are collectively considered to be the bride of Christ, the entire church, men and women, can learn much from this Proverb.

It is a very high standard indeed, this is what God has purposed for His people in Christ Jesus and provided for by the gift of the Holy Spirit.

In Christ,

2017/9/24 18:32Profile
jochbaptist

One should consider that:
- It was wisdom shared by a mother to guide her son in finding a virtuous wife.
- This woman was not young anymore, so had grown into this stature.
- Such a woman's worth is more than rubies. So the standard is high.
- The picture of a husband is portayed by Jesus throughout the bible.
Blessings

2017/9/25 15:45Profile
savannah

emestiu wrote,

I was wondering why there is no special passage of "The Husband of Noble Character" in the Bible like the equivalent of Proverbs 31 of description of a noble wife. The Bible simply commanded husband to love their wife... So, why the Bible gave so much "emphasis" of a characters of what a wife should be...

And also, I think, Proverbs 31 is a "very high standard" for a wife...

I begin with the foundation;

And Jesus said to them: "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Mark 2:27

For man was not created for woman, but woman for man. 1 Cor. 11:9

Note what God says. "For", "Not for." And there is no demeaning here, just straight forward truth.

And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman who was deceived and fell into transgression. Women, however, will be saved through childbearing, if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control. 1 Timothy 2:14,15

To answer your question, not only in Proverbs 31, but elsewhere, "It is Written", because God knows women need to be reminded, "...of what a wife should be."

She's to be reminded of her great great great great...grandmother Eve! She's to be reminded of "In the beginning...", from the very creation.

Even as Jesus reminded the Pharisees about marriage when He said "In the beginning...", from the very creation.

If women were to meditate on these passages alone, praying through them for God to humble them, they'd come forth as a daughter of Sarah who called Abraham lord.

And as far as Proverbs 31 being a" very high standard", I'd remind you of the "very high standard" elders(men) are called to in Timothy and Titus. And to husbands in particular, the "very high standard" of the command, "husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her" is unequaled.

Consequently, every husband ought to cry out to God for more grace to do so.

To sum it all up, such a "very high standard" which no man or woman can measure up to, should cause us all to recognize our need of His grace and keep us humble.

Also, such truth ought to make us more grateful for His mercies, because we're not consumed, as we complain about such and such, adding sin to sin.

We ought to hear our Master, and have that mind He would have His disciples have when He told them this parable in Luke 17:7-10

“But which of you, having a slave plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come immediately and sit down to eat’? “But will he not say to him, ‘Prepare something for me to eat, and properly clothe yourself and serve me until I have eaten and drunk; and afterward you will eat and drink’? “He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he? “So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, ‘We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.’”

Not only do we men need to take heed to 1 Peter 3:7, You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman; and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered.

But women ought to take heed as well lest they forget who God says they are. They wind up fighting God, His Word of Truth, and men as well. They compete and attempt to usurp authority which they've not been given. And the end of that way leads to destruction. The destruction of relationships at every sphere and level, home, church and state.

Also, bear in mind, that all this instruction, is from a mother to a son, who is a king. We read that in the very first verse. It is not a man demanding women to measure up. It is from a woman, who I am sure practiced Titus 2. Where, it is written;

And the older women, in this way also, to be fitting in appearance for the worship of God and not to be slanderers, neither subservient to much wine, and to be teachers of excellence. And chasten those who are young women to love their husband's and their children , And to be chaste and holy, taking good care of their households and obeying their husbands, lest anyone blaspheme the word of God.

May God give us all grace to fulfill our calling in the life He has given to us. Both men and women have a particular role, and God is the Only Governor of what those particular roles are.

May we hear Him.

2017/9/25 22:42Profile

Thank You

Thank you for your insight... Ron Halverson, J Kruger and savannah :)

2017/9/27 12:39

it is clear to me now....

I asked why there is no special passage of "The Husband of Noble Character" in the Bible like the equivalent of Proverbs 31...

I just realized that the example description of a noble husband is Jesus Christ. Thus, the Bible commanded husbands to love their wives, just as Christ loved the church. That a husband should imitate Jesus Christ, and lead her (wife) to GOD...

2017/10/3 12:46

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy