SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : alibi or white lie

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

alibi or white lie

I want to ask your thoughts...

Is telling an alibi or a white lie is a sin? The motive is to avoid hurting someone's feelings...

I was thinking about it because alibi/white lie is a not truth that makes it a LIE which is a sin...

2017/9/22 10:18
TMK

NC, USA

Re: alibi or white lie

It seems that we had quite a discussion here about this not long ago, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else can.

2017/9/22 10:35Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

IMO, of course, white lies to preserve feelings or relationships is not the type of lie contemplated in scripture when lying is discussed. A person who is always grossly blunt regardless of others' feelings is a jerk. Christians ought not to be jerks.

To me, the type of lying I believe Scripture is concerned with are those lies intended to further only my interest, or the interest of an evil cause.

In this context, every untruth would not be considered a "lie."

Now, there are some truths that must be told out of love, regardless of squirmage or even gnashing of teeth and beatings. Some truths need not be told out of that same love.

In other words, there is a time to offend and a time to not offend. Why in the world would I want to offend somebody who has done something nice for me?

For example, let's say my mom asks how her dry as dust Thanksgiving turkey tasted? (Purely hypothetical- mom is an excellent cook).

My mom is very godly and I love her dearly as well. If I told her that her turkey that she prepared was dry, sure she would take it with grace. She might laugh it off. But that does not mean she is not hurt on the inside. However, she would not tell me this. Why? So as not to upset me, even though I had just upset her. But I suppose by not telling me she is lying as well. But she would not be sinning, nor would I be by telling her it was fine.

2017/9/22 10:49Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Sister Evangeline,

As a principal believing in and loving the truth (Jesus) precludes us from lying or even misrepresenting the truth (Jesus),... for to do so is to cheat Him out of that for which He shed His blood and ultimately is a willful act of denying Him, or to put it more simply- it shows we don't really believe that the truth will set free the captive... We can rationalize our actions based on a host of variables but at the end of the day we are seeking to justify a lie, which is to seek justification apart from Christ. This will never work to the good of God no matter how good our intentions are because we are basically putting someone's "feelings" above truth (Jesus), which is just plain old humanism. So for me, it's literally choosing or believing that the language of the devil is more beneficial than the truth of Christ, otherwise why on earth would we offer anything short of the truth?

Having said this, surely we should never use a truth to hurt someone intentionally or volunteer unsolicited commentary that would be hurtful, however we should always trust the truth to do what He promises it will... and there is a "speak things that aren't as though they were" clause, but in my understanding that's an act of faith in Gods ability and mercy and therefore isn't a lie at all.

Personally I am unaware of anytime in scripture where our Lord ever "spared" someone's feelings by misrepresenting the truth- or any New Testament writer for that matter and in fact quite the opposite is true. It seems that our commitment to the truth somehow makes it available to us in a way that both glorifies God and serves diplomatic ends where necessary.

Hope that helps:)

2017/9/23 0:19Profile
followthelamb

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!

Hi Evangeline, :)

Your question brought a few verses of Scripture immediately to mind so will share those. But first wanted to share that personally I do not feel that even "white" lies are okay. (Edit: but that, by the Spirit, the truth can be spoken tenderly and with great love and grace. Whenever the Lord has brought to my attention something I've said that was exagerated in any way or slightly untruthful in the slightset, my heart smote me greatly and I cannot imagine Him ever being okay with such things in general.)

Also, your question made me think of Corre Ten Boom's sister who could not in good conscience disobey God even to lie to the Nazi soldiers about the whereabouts of the people hiding under a trap door under the table...she simply stated they were under the table, but when the soldiers lifted the table cloth they saw no one and looked no further, thinking she was being sarcastic.

"Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways." Proverbs 3:31

Edit: But obviously its important to use wisdom in what we say and how and when we share something.

2017/9/23 12:04Profile
followthelamb

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Here are those other verses that came to mind....

Jesus said to him, “I am...the truth..." John 14:6

"...the devil...there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies." John 8:44

"Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds" Colossians 3:9

"But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, who is the head, even Christ" Ephesians 4:15

"But....all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." Revelation 21:8

"I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth." 1 John 2:21

2017/9/23 12:20Profile

:)

Thank you so much for your insights Todd, Fletcher and followthelamb... :)

2017/9/23 19:16

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy