SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I never knew you

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

I never knew you

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness! Matthew 7:21-23

There are two things in these verses that have really struck me of late. First JESUS said, he who does the will of my FATHER. The second, I never knew you. As I focus in on these two things I am seeing they both speak of relationship. The only way I can know the FATHER's will is by knowing HIM. How do I know HIM? By spending time with HIM! I can only know HIS will by knowing HIM and HIS revealing it to me. The second part again is all about relationship. If JESUS does not know me then I am not HIS no matter how much I know about HIM. It matters little if I know about HIM but I don't know HIM on a personal relational level. So how do I know someone? How do they know me? By spending time, daily talking, listening, and walking with JESUS is how I get to know HIM and how HE knows me. And in knowing HIM I will discover HIS heart is to do the will of HIS FATHER so that I might do it too. It's all about knowing the PERSON JESUS. Not learning facts about HIM but really and truly knowing HIM!if I want to know JESUS and be known by HIM it all begins by building a relationship with HIM here and now. One that is strong and will last for eternity!

2017/9/18 2:21Profile

... very terrible phrase to hear from the Lord

This is a very terrible phrase to hear from the Lord Himself in the Judgement Seat of Christ... Imagining deceiving yourself your whole life on earth that you're saved and knew Jesus Christ... but in the end, you will be departed from His presence because of the hypocrisy of your sin in your life...

2017/9/18 9:18

Re: I never knew you

MJ writes..........

"It's all about knowing the PERSON JESUS. Not learning facts about HIM but really and truly knowing HIM!if I want to know JESUS and be known by HIM it all begins by building a relationship with HIM here and now. One that is strong and will last for eternity!"

Amen sister. So many who claim the name of Jesus do so on account of facts that they know. Sheer religion. It is interesting that the portion of Scripture that you quoted ends with " depart from me you who practice lawlessness." There is a great irony that religious people, people who constantly go on about leadership and authority, people who might know the Word of God backwards, are actually lawless according to Jesus. Being known by Jesus and "knowing," Him ( a very intimate term and word) is the difference between a saint and a religious person.............bro Frank

2017/9/18 9:22
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Sister,

Amen, no matter what we do or where we are in the body of Christ on earth, what mission we are on or what struggles we have gone through, in the end it is all about "knowing Him." Praise God.

One thought on; " depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness! Matthew 7:21-23"

I believe lawlessness is someone who does not desire to be under any "law" namely the law of God and I would expand it to say the commands of Christ and teachings of the Apostles.

Satan is the very "lawless one" who will not submit to God's authority. We should not to see his ways but to submit to God and therefore do the "will of Him." And in light of 1 Peter 5 follow the instructions of godly shepherds who are called of God.

Lawlessness will never submit or follow God's will or ways in the Church. We should be very strict to expel such evils from our heart when they arise. He who humbles himself will be exalted.

Knowing Him also includes following the Lamb of God who was under authority and followed in the way of humility, lowlinesness and nothingness.

2017/9/18 9:39Profile
savannah

Re: NEVER

NEVER -

I never knew you - That is, I never approved of your conduct; never loved you; never regarded you as my friends. See Psalm 1:6; 2 Timothy 2:19; 1 Corinthians 8:3. This proves that, with all their pretensions, they had never been true followers of Christ. Jesus will not then say to false prophets and false professors of religion that he had once known them and then rejected them; that they had been once Christians and then had fallen away; that they had been pardoned and then had apostatized but that he had never known them - they had never been true christians. Whatever might have been their pretended joys, their raptures, their hopes, their self-confidence, their visions, their zeal, they had never been regarded by the Saviour as his true friends. I do not know of a more decided proof that Christians do not fall from grace than this text. It settles the question; and proves that whatever else such people had, they never had any true religion. (Barnes)

2017/9/18 10:38Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Can I add some more on 'lawlessness'...

We would use the term 'Anarchy' today.

'Anarchy' dictionary definition = "a state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority or other controlling systems".

Basically Jesus is saying those who 'practice anarchy' are those who are not submitted to His Kingdom and His Kingship. Therefore they are not His and are not 'known' by Him, i.e not in relationship to Him.

It is possible to think we 'know Him' and He 'knows us', but if we are not submitted to Him we deceive ourselves and are not part of Him or His rule. Therefore we will not share in His kingdom when He returns.

It's not about any particular works or laws, but about allegiance.

2017/9/18 10:38Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: I never knew you

All I once held dear, built my life upon
All this world reveres, and wars to own
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this

Knowing you, Jesus
Knowing you, there is no greater thing
You're my all, you're the best
You're my joy, my righteousness
And I love you, Lord

Now my heart's desire is to know you more
To be found in you and known as yours
To possess by faith what I could not earn
All-surpassing gift of righteousness

Oh, to know the power of your risen life
And to know You in Your sufferings
To become like you in your death, my Lord
So with you to live and never die

-by Graham Kendrick

2017/9/18 19:57Profile
havok20x

Re:

I tend to shy away from explaining salvation as "a relationship" with the Lord, because people have their own ideas about what a relationship is--and it always seems to melt into some kind of romantic relationship-ish thing, but this is a good explanation and a good discussion about it.

Their folly is in their answer--they "proved" to themselves that they had a relationship with the Lord by all the things they were doing. Basically, "look how spiritual we were! We did all these Christiany things. Surely we are Yours!" The issue, however, is their heart. All their motivation at best could have only been selfish. They were unredeemed, untransformed, and unwilling to submit to Christ. If we look at similar passages, where they wonder about when they saw Jesus and didn't serve him--they cared not for the least. So there are 2 aspects by which we ought to exam ourselves--what is our relationship with the Lord, and what is our relationship with other believers. If both are not Christ-like or at least heading that direction, then we should be very afraid.

2017/9/19 13:32Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy