Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Saying 'Grace:' Prayer with Meals

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Now Oracio-- you are out preaching on a street corner but say that saying a prayer over a meal in public makes you cower.

I don't think boldness is your problem; I think you may be getting a check in your spirit for the reasons you mentioned.

The person who spoke with Chris seemed to be saying the same thing, namely that it can be viewed as spiritual pride or making bystanders captive to our religious observance. Not saying I agree with this conclusion at all.

Personally I think most people could care less if they see someone praying over a meal in a restaurant.

However, if you pray visibly in a restaurant, leave a good tip, regardless of the service!!

2017/9/14 19:25Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Definitely food for thought Todd.

2017/9/14 19:57Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Brethren,

When we pray for meals in public we tell men everywhere that we are believers in God. The "god" is their belly, our "God" is the one we give thanks for the food.

Some believers in Church history made the sign of the cross before a meal as a visible reminder that the body was the Lord's and they were the Lord's to a fallen world and fallen angels.

Praying multiple times a day with our head bowed also helps us to ensure our heart is right before God, if we have hidden unforgiveness or other issues how can we easily come to God in prayer. This then helps us to ensure we are right before God in humility.

Mark 8:38New International Version (NIV)

38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”

The scriptures speak of praying also multiple times a day.

2017/9/15 7:59Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

Well,

I've been raised up in Bulgaria and we do pray before eating! :) My dad even mentioned that in Nigeria they prayed before and after eating a meal.

As for me, I usually pray only prior to eating. I did not do it most of the time when I was in school, but on my first day in university we got with a group of people to the cafetaria and got something for lunch. I was literally trembling and I did not even knew the people ;d but I was convinced that I should not begin to eat without praying. So I did it. And since then it has become much easier. Sometimes when I eat with other colleagues, I tell them that I have the habit of praying before eating. And some don't object, I guess others feel awkward (not that they have told me, but I feel it).

But interessting conversation started a couple of times after a simple prayer... and that was the way I understood actually why I wear head covering when praying, but thats another story.

Jesus prayed before giving food not only on the Lord's supper but also before feeding the multitudes. Paul prayed too. I think it is a good to follow their example and teach our children do the same. I am glad my parents taught me. :)

I can just encourage you to go on anyway. Some Muslims "present" their religion all day long and it is considered their right (at least in Germany I think). So what's the problem when I pray?! I don't do it for the show (it would be much easier just to do what all others do), but I do it because I want just to thank God.

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." ~ 1 Corinthians 10:31

2017/9/15 13:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy