Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Threatened for Preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Threatened for Preaching

This past Friday I went out to my previous location, and when I started preaching to a group of people standing near by, one rather big thug looking character told me he did not want to hear it, and said if I did not stop he would beat me up. His group of friends with a rather serious look on their face said I should seriously consider what he said. They likewise said they didn't want to hear it.

According to my own personaly policy, if I'm presenting the gospel to an individual or group of people, and they do not want to hear it at all, I won't bother with them, and will just move on to whoever else might have an open ear. So, I complied with their request, and told went over to the nearby ledge and just sat there and prayed for God to give me a divine appointment. I especially took into consideration that the security in this area had recently removed all tables, chairs and benches because of a big fight that occured there this past week.

Eventually this guy moved on, and within moments some guys from the last time I was out recognized me and started coming up and making conversation and such. Some of these kids were brought up with a "once saved always saved- so go do what you want now" attitude, and were pretty upset when I told them that such was not biblical. Within moments, perhaps 20 or so teens gathered around to listen to the preaching of the gospel, and some slight expounding on the Scriptures because of some doctrinal controversy.

To prove one could lose your salvation, I quoted Jesus where He said that if we wished to keep our lives, we would lose it, but if we were to lose our lives, we would find it. If it were not eternal life Jesus was speaking about, what life was he talking about one could lose or gain?

This was the first time in my open air preaching I had ever really run into doctrinal controversy with a crowd. Some held some of the most bizarre theological positions I had ever heard of, but some were pretty Southern Baptist in nature. As much as I strongly disagree with the once-saved-always-saved view point, I tried to minimize the doctrinal fight I had with some in order to evangelize those who had little to no knowledge of God whatsoever.

I also had a pretty cool meeting with one fellow Pentecostal brother who said he saw me sitting on the fountain ledge with my Bible in hand. So he just came over next to me and sat down and prayed for me as he figured I was out there witnessing (as I had a Bible in hand). When I reflected on it, I thought that was pretty awesome, because within a few minutes of him having coming over there and praying, my crowd for the evening had gathered.

If you guys could, please keep me in prayer when I go out street preaching again this Friday evening. Though I am not afraid of persecution, I don't go out seeking it. Though I'm willing to suffer the loss of all things for the sake of the gospel, I don't want to be beat up if I can avoid it, especially by a guy that looked like he could really do a number on me. Pray for this one individual to, that the Lord would touch him. He did eventually sit in and listen to me for a few minutes, but when I left for the evening, I went up to him to attempt to shake his hand, but he smacked my hand away.

I was rather encouraged in what I've read of Wesley and his run-in's with mobs (sometimes through God's providence he was able to prevent angry mobs from stoning him, othertimes, not). I also thought of something Ravenhill said about how he sought out the hardest sinner in the town to convert him. Such has encouraged me to be more bold to this young man in love, I believe he can be reached.

2005/6/19 20:18Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re: Threatened for Preaching

With prayer in mind I hold you up to the Father of us all. You've found where the leather meets the road. Geno a now brother, was the same as the one you met. after taking the beating from him, teeth missing, cuts the whole nine yards. I met him a year later, he was so moved that I didn't fight back that he ask me if he could use what happened as a part of his testimony. as I was being hit, I told him God bless you geno, Jesus loves you. It bothered him, he wanted to find me and ask me about what it was I was saying to him.
" God bless you Geno, Jesus loves you." his testimony is that being blessed and that Jesus loving him changed his mind. I wasn't the person he remembered.(before I met Christ) gang leader, drugs and the whole scene. What a work God has done in his life He (Geno) marryed his then girlfriend they are now working for the Lord Jesus Christ, on the street.
Gods blessing on you in your work for the kingdom, I'll met you here or in the air. :-D

2005/6/19 20:55Profile

Quote:
I also thought of something Ravenhill said about how he sought out the hardest sinner in the town to convert him. Such has encouraged me to be more bold to this young man in love, I believe he can be reached.

Part of Brother Andrew's testimony, is that he was a very wild boy, prayed for for years, by a Christian family who knew him. We cannot know what God has in store for those He puts on our hearts.

2005/6/19 21:29
andres

texas,brownsville

just wanted to tell you great job. i know it must be hard but worthy is the lamb amen

2005/6/19 23:41Profile

Re:

The better that we become at preaching, the more beatings I'm sure we'll take. It's apart of the package.

2005/6/20 1:25

Quote:

KingJimmy wrote:

Though I am not afraid of persecution, I don't go out seeking it. Though I'm willing to suffer the loss of all things for the sake of the gospel, I don't want to be beat up if I can avoid it, especially by a guy that looked like he could really do a number on me.

This reminds me of the Apostles themselves. Truly not Wesley, but Paul. Paul knew he was going to get persecuted, but he indeed preached, for the sake of people's eternal life on the line.

If you read thru the scripture, and even the gospels, JESUS RAN AND SO DID THE APOSTLES!!!! I'm not saying they are 'wimps' but for the sake of the gospel they were indeed TRUE! You can search it if you would like. But, when i read Acts (for the second time) that is what i mainly got outta it, that they DID FLEE and they WERE NOT picking a fight, but when 'minor' fights arose, the apostles FLED!! to another area to PREACH!!

Praise God, for your CHRIST LIKE attributes and you not truly reconizing them, GOD BE ALL THE GLORY FOR THIS ENCOURAGEMENT!!! :-D :-D :-D

2005/6/20 1:50
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

The armor you have on seems to get the devil's attention,thats why we are told to stand. We don't need to look for the fight the fight will find us. the rewards are great. Stand in your place the Lord has given you, with your head looking up, believing in him. your now getting the degree of "The street of hard knocks" Be faithful for Jesus is always faithful. will keep you in prayer and ask the same for myself. :-D

2005/6/20 1:56Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

The better that we become at preaching, the more beatings I'm sure we'll take. It's apart of the package.

Yes indeed. Back in October when I was preaching at UNC Charlotte once, a man came up to give me a word from the Lord. He said that God was getting ready to take me to another level in my ministry and that I was about to experience the fruit I had longed for. Since then I've seen more persecution in the last times I've been out compared to before I saw very little. Then again, I've also had greater crowds draw near and more responses and more repentant too...

2005/6/20 6:33Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

When you become the very oracle of God then you will take a beating- but you will also see many coming to Christ. Some will seek to gnash upon you with their teeth- but it will not be because of your words. It will be because of the unction of God that is pricking their heart. Anyone can make a person angry enough to fight. It takes no unction. Yet, when God is speaking through His ministers there will be results. There will be plenty of good to go along with the bad. There will be great JOY and rejoicing at the deliverance of people and the healing of the sick. The enemy will have his agents snooping around and stirring things up- but GREAT will be the victory when God is speaking. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the [u]W[/u]ORD of God.

2005/6/20 8:42Profile

Re:

Quote:
Anyone can make a person angry enough to fight. It takes no unction

Great point.

Quote:
Yet, when God is speaking through His ministers there will be results.

What do you do with Jeremiah? He saw no converts. Though he was not successful, he was faithful.

2005/6/20 8:56

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy