SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : DL Moody.. Final Call to Seek God for Revival.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
EAGLEFLYING

DL Moody.. Final Call to Seek God for Revival.

D. L. Moody’s Final Call To Seek God For Revival
By D. L. Moody

The following excerpt is from the last call that D. L. Moody issued – an invitation in 1899 to the General Conference of Christian Workers:

"Many thoughtful men have come to feel strongly that the hope of the church today is in a deep and widespread revival. We are confronted with difficulties that can be met in no other way. The enemy has come in like a flood – it is time for those who believe in a supernatural religion to look to God to lift up a standard against him. Oh, for a revival of such power that the tide of unbelief and worldliness that is sweeping in upon us shall be beaten back; that every Christian shall be lifted to a higher level of life and power, and multitudes of perishing souls be converted to God! Why not? God’s arm is not shortened, nor His ear heavy. I believe the sound of the going in the tops of the mulberry trees may already be heard.

"The history of revivals proves that such a work must begin at the house of God. Who can doubt that if somehow the church could be thoroughly aroused – not a mere scratching of the surface of our emotions, but a deep heart-work that shall make us right with God and clothe us with power in prayer and service – [we] would witness the mightiest movements of the Holy Spirit since Pentecost?

"Let us ‘break up our fallow ground,’ seek a fresh anointing of the Spirit, and then move forward, expecting great things of God…."

-------------

Might we seek such an outpouring of the Spirit in our day!

2017/8/23 16:39Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re: DL Moody.. Final Call to Seek God for Revival.

Chicago, nineteenth century. The evangelist Dwight Moody, who founded the Moody Bible Church and Moody Bible Institute, writes two months before his death in 1899, “There are two epochs in my life that stand out clear. One is when I was between 18 and 19 years old, when I was born of the Spirit.., the greatest blessing, next to being born again, came l6 years after, when I was filled with the Spirit.”

A biography of Moody written by his son describes what happened:

The year 1871 was a critical one in Mr. Moody’s career, an intense hunger and thirst for spiritual power were aroused in him by two women who used to attend meetings and sit on the front seat ... At the close of the services they would say to him:

“We have been praying for you.” “Why don’t you pray for the people,” Mr. Moody would ask. “Because you need the power of the Spirit.” they would say. “I need the power! Why?” said he, in relating the incident years after. “I thought I had the power. I had the largest congregation in Chicago, and there were many conversions.” “I asked them to come and talk to me and they poured out their hearts in prayer that I might receive the filling of the Holy Spirit.”

“There came a great hunger in my soul. I did not know what it was. I began to cry out as I never did before. I really felt that I did not want to live if I could not have this power for service.” Shortly after this, Moody was in New York on a fund-raising trip.

“I was crying all the time that God would fill me with His Spirit. Well, one day, in the city of New York — oh, what a day!! — I cannot describe it. I seldom refer to it; it is almost too sacred an experience to name ... I can only say that God revealed Himself to me, and I had such an experience of His love that I had to ask Him to stay His hand.”

“I went to preaching again. The sermons were not different ... yet hundreds were converted. I would not now be placed back where I was before that blessed experience if you should give me all the world.”

2017/8/24 11:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy