SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Book gift advice?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Book gift advice?

Has any of you read both The Pilgrim's Progress and "Shadow of the Almighty" (about Jim Elliot) and could give his opinion on which book is more suitable for a student (7th grade)? I do not know whether the person is converted, but she shows some real interest in the things of God (as far as I can see), and she goes to church with her family.

I have read the Pilgrim's Progress but not the story of Jim Elliot. And I don't like to give away books, I haven't read. What do you think?

2017/8/17 15:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Book gift advice?

Both could be life-changing. Jim Elliot might be more condusive to a modern young person.

2017/8/17 15:33Profile

Re: Esther

I Agree with brother Greg. Both books are good. Shadow of the Almighty might be better suited to somebody in the 7th grade. It is a story of the martyrdom of Jim Elliot who tried to reach with the gospel, a tribe of savage Headhunters in South America. A very good and easy read.

Real Blaine

2017/8/17 15:47
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Personally I think the language and style of Pilgrim's Progress would be difficult for a typical modern 7th grader. I am not saying this to denigrate the book in any way. Its simply a matter of the language of the time. There may be "modernized" versions of Pilgrims Progress but I have never looked into this.

2017/8/17 16:12Profile
passerby

Re:

How about a 'youth bible'. There are many variants available, i guess one has to choose one that emphasizes God's greatness than man's heroism and God's grace than self righteousness (morals).

Or one like this, 'Esther: The unseen hand of God', from thegoodbook.co.uk

2017/8/17 18:55Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Book gift advice?

I agree with what others have already said.

The Pilgrim's Progress is a difficult read for many people given its 17th Century language. There are some very good modern English versions of the book though (accurately entitled "The Modern English Edition of Pilgrim's Progress). My wife -- whose first language is not English -- enjoyed it quite a bit.

I would add a few other options:
-The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson
-No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green by Melody Green
-God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew
-Run Baby Run by Nicky Cruz

I am about to read The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel (I recently purchased it at a garage sale). There is a youth edition, but I can't recommend it before reading it.

2017/8/17 19:56Profile
ThyKingCome

Southern CA

Re:

I highly recommend "Little Pilgrim's Progress" by Helen Taylor as a beginner's version to the book. It is very well done, and the chapters are short, but the content is very well thought through and does not feel watered down too much. Might be a little too easy for a 14 year old, but then again I would read it! I would say ages 7-14 for this one. You can get it for 3.99 used on Thriftbooks.

Blessings,

2017/8/18 11:32Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

Thanks all for the advices. I read myself The Pilgrim's Progress when I was about 18yo, I think. And though it was sometimes tough to understand, I don't regret it. I laughed out loud at times, generally I find it is good even for youths. :) But I will still think about it...

2017/8/22 15:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy