Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Path to Spiritual Maturity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

The Path to Spiritual Maturity

In commenting on another post, this thought crossed my mind. What contributes to spiritual maturity? How is it obtained? I know the KJV uses words like perfect or complete to mean mature. I wonder if we could compile a list of scriptures here that tell us how we grow to spiritual maturity. I will start with this one.

Eph. 4:11-15 11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

We can receive ministry from the gifts that God has given the body so that we can learn truth. We can submit ourselves to anointed leadership and to a body so that God can use where we are at to cause us to grow up.

2017/8/8 18:22Profile
dohzman

Re: The Path to Spiritual Maturity

2Pe 1:2
Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
2Pe 1:3
According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
2Pe 1:5
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6
And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7
And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pe 1:8
For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2017/8/8 22:19Profile

Great posts. So much to chew on.

Hebrews 5: 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Colossians 2:1 For I want you to know what a great conflict I have for you and those in Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh, 2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and[a] of Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

2017/8/8 22:55
Sree

Hebrews 5 13&14-
13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

Spiritual maturity comes by continuous discernemt of good and evil. They have their senses trained for spiritual discernment.

2017/8/8 22:57Profile

Re:

Proverbs 2:1 My son, if you receive my words,
And treasure my commands within you,
2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom,
And apply your heart to understanding;
3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment,
And lift up your voice for understanding,
4 If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
5 Then you will understand the fear of the Lord,
And find the knowledge of God.
6 For the Lord gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk uprightly;
8 He guards the paths of justice,
And preserves the way of His saints.
9 Then you will understand righteousness and justice,
Equity and every good path.

2017/8/8 23:08
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

1Jo 2:12
I write to you, little children,
Because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake.

1Jo 2:13
I write to you, fathers,
Because you have known Him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
Because you have overcome the wicked one.
I write to you, little children,
Because you have known the Father.

1Jo 2:14
I have written to you, fathers,
Because you have known Him who is from the beginning.
I have written to you, young men,
Because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you,
And you have overcome the wicked one.

As children our sins are forgiven. As young men, for those who have grown strong and the word of God abides, these have overcome the devil. And finally, for those who have walked with Jesus for a long time, these have become fathers amongst the congregation.

2017/8/9 7:04Profile
proudpapa

"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen."

The path to Spiritual Maturity is growing in Grace and this is accomplished by growing in our knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

2017/8/9 7:33Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

1 ¶ If I speak human or angelic languages but do not have love, I am a sounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
2 ¶ If I have the gift of prophecy and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so that I can move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing.
3 ¶ And if I donate all my goods to feed the poor, and if I give my body in order to boast[fn] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 ¶ Love is patient, love is kind. Love does not envy, is not boastful, is not conceited,
5 ¶ does not act improperly, is not selfish, is not provoked, and does not keep a record of wrongs.
6 ¶ Love finds no joy in unrighteousness but rejoices in the truth.
7 ¶ It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 ¶ Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for languages, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end.
9 ¶ For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 ¶ But when the perfect comes, the partial will come to an end.
11 ¶ When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put aside childish things.
12 ¶ For now we see indistinctly,[fn] as in a mirror,[fn] but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, as I am fully known.
13 ¶ Now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Learning to lay ourselves down for love... sacrificial love/perfection
Being totally dependent on God,... maturity/perfection
Learning obedience thru suffering.... perseverance/perfection

8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

2017/8/9 8:11Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I loveit! Gives me something to meditate on today. More?

2017/8/9 8:35Profile

Re:

Romans 12
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.

4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. 10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; 11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; 12 rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; 13 distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. 16 Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.

17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,”[a] says the Lord. 20 Therefore

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”[b]
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

2017/8/9 9:25

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy