Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : repenting from american pop culture music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I wonder sometimes if we focus on the wrong part of the equation and as a result never quite see the nature of the problem or the solution. followthelamb made a really interesting statement at the end of her testimony.

Quote:
What was most grieving to me after being saved was visiting churches and finding similar music and celebrity culture (and immodesty among female worship leaders) ...not condemning anyone it just grieves my heart so, especially for the sake of the little children who are looking up to them.

I had the opportunity to have pizza and a conversation with the former band of a man quite well known for his Christian music. They related that for a year this man purposely listened only to top 40 secular radio. My wife and I remembered listening to this man and on one particular album his music was just off. It did not seem to carry any kind of anointing and did not seem to minister to us one bit whatsoever. We realized that this album was the result of this year.

My point is this. I do not believe it is the music we should be focusing on. (I will tell you as an aside that apart from some purely instrumental bluegrass and occasional classical music, the music I listen to is 100% Christian music so you will know where I am coming from a bit better.) It is not the music, in my opinion, that is the issue. It is the life of the person writing and performing the music. When worship leaders seek to mimic the world and seek to attract a "fan base" that follows them, they are doing what they do out of a worldly motivation rather than a Godly motivation. The result of their root being in the wrong place is that they do not produce good fruit.

Instead of asking, "What music ought one or ought one not to listen to", how much better to ask, "What motivation ought one or ought one not to live his life from." If the second question is answered correctly, then the first question need not even be asked. If my relationship with God is in order and if I am obediently following Him, then He will direct my paths to that which pleases Him.

2017/8/19 19:37Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

By the way followthelamb, it also grieves me when I see things such as this. Their job is to lead people into genuine praise and worship of God, not to be recognized and applauded.

2017/8/19 19:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy