SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : God's Spoken Word.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Re:

RE : /// And if the Spirit takes the written word and speaks it to our hearts how can a dedication to and faith in the written word be called biblolatry? ///

"They charge us with Bibliolatry. It is a crime of their own inventing, of which few are guilty. If there are such things as venial sins, surely an undue reverence of Holy Scripture is one of them. To me the Bible is not God, but it is God’s voice—and I do not hear it without awe. What an honor to have as one’s calling to study, to expound and to publish this sacred Word! I cannot help feeling that the man who preaches the Word of God is standing, not upon a mere platform, but upon a throne." - Spurgeon

2017/7/22 15:01Profile
docs

Re:

So if 99.5% and probably more of men of God don't advocate such there's no real epidemic of biblolatry in the body of Christ. The only time I have heard the charge is when it came from nonbelievers describing Christians in the Bible belt.

2017/7/22 15:22Profile

Re: PP, David, and Anyone Else

Brothers do you believe that God speaks "only" through the written scriptures? In other words, does God speak in any other ways "except" by the written word as contained in the Bible?

Just curious.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/22 15:34
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Blaine asked,

"Does God speak outside of the written word of scripture in this day and age? "

Yes. He said to me 21 years ago, "How can you teach your son about Me for you do not know Me."

2017/7/22 15:42Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

With in the Scriptures, we are given many examples of conversations between God and man. If one were to compare Abraham and Paul, what was the nature of the conversations that God had with these two men?

What are some of the similarities?

2017/7/22 15:56Profile
docs

Re:

Replying to supposed examples of God speaking outside the word is not wise if one does not know what type of examples are being referenced. God speaking outside the word - what are the examples you have in mind?

Can God take these examples and make them real and alive in your heart by His Holy Spirit? If so does what is made real agree with Scripture?

But first, how does God speak outside of His Word in your opinion? How and in what ways?

2017/7/22 16:04Profile

Re:

Rookie asks•••

••• With in the Scriptures, we are given many examples of conversations between God and man. If one were to compare Abraham and Paul, what was the nature of the conversations that God had with these two men?

What are some of the similarities?•••

Brother at this point I'm going to have to extrapolate out of the scriptures. In the case of Abraham he was told to leave the country he was in and go to a country that God would show him (Heb. 11:8). I can only surmise that somehow God spoke to his heart of mine in a way that Abraham received that this was the voice of God. Does he obey that voice. This probably goes back to your earlier insight that in Jesus who is the Word is the life of men.

We also read in Genesis that God did appear to Abraham as a man the two other angels. This could have been the pre incarnate Christ. But in the case of Abraham we see that God is speaking to him apart from the written word.

I think in the case of the Apostle Paul Jesus continue to appear to him in visions and instruct him in those three years he was in Arabia. In Acts 21:14 we read,

••• The God of our fathers has appointed you to know His will and to see the Righteous One and hear an utterance from His mouth.•••

And again in Acts 26:17,

••• but get up and stand on your feet, for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you, •••

Brother to answer your question I believe the similarities are that God appeared and spoke directly to Abraham and Paul in ways outside of the written word.

Simply my thoughts. Appreciate your questions as they are forcing me to think outside of traditional box.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/22 16:28

Re:

David asjs...

••• But first, how does God speak outside of His Word in your opinion? How and in what ways? •••

Brother if I may answer your question with a question. How do you explain the thousands of Muslims who are coming to Christ through dreams and visions? They are having visions of Him they call the Man in white. They are having visions of Isa Amasa. They are having visions of Jesus.

Is this not God speaking outside of the scriptures?

Bro Blaine

2017/7/22 16:33
docs

Re:

That is a whole nother issue from what you seemed to be implying. I believe these dreams and visions to Muslims are really occurring but what in these dreams and visions God is revealing about Christ can't be found in the word? If they obtain a Bible many will likely read it and say that confirms exactly what God showed me before I had a Bible. God may do this but He won't speak outside the bounds of His written word which is really His living word.

2017/7/22 17:39Profile

Re:

David writes...

•••God may do this but He won't speak outside the bounds of His written word which is really His living word.•••

I agree that he will not speak outside the bounds of His written word in as far as it contains the truth of Christ. But God appears to be speaking outside of the medium of the written word or the vehicle of His witten. word by appearing to Muslims in dreams and visions.

Our discussions have been focusing upon the written word as the words on the page in ink. Im my case I'm legally blind. Thus I listen to an audio Bible which is basically the spoken word of the written word I suppose.

So it's an audio Bible not another way that God is speaking outside of the written word? What I mean is the means the vehicle by which he communicates?

Is God only limited to communicating through the printed page?

Bro Blaine

2017/7/22 18:01

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy