SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Electric Dance Club Music now in Worship Services

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

savannah.....Thanks for your edifying words to me and to this thread, I'm sure you were going about your fathers business when you posted your thoughts here.

2017/7/18 13:40Profile
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

I could be off on the exact numbers but I believe over the last 25 years Doritos has changed the label on the bag 3 times. Why? Because the label became outdated and didn't appeal to people. While the label changed the product people were getting remained the same. This could be a poor analogy but I believe as our culture changes we have to change with it. In my town their are churches everywhere. I believe around 30 in the small county I live in. maybe 5 have an attendance over 30. When we refuse to change it makes us ineffective and not relevant. Like I said in the previous post I myself use to think that all of this was wrong and we are allowing the "world" into the church. But I have come to the conclusion that if we really want to follow in the footsteps of Jesus we need to quit making our own little christian sub culture. "The world" makes music so we make Christian music. Facebook so we make Faithbook. YouTube so we make GodTube. EHarmony so we make Christian Mingle. We are IN the world but not of it. We can't separate ourselves from "the world" like they have some sort of contagious disease that we don't want to catch. We have to go into the world doing whatever it takes to reach them like they have a deadly disease that we have the cure for.

2017/7/18 13:44Profile
savannah

Re: edification

Anytime! Glad to know that you appreciate it.

Now go, and... "Behold Your God", and I'll do the same.

2017/7/18 13:45Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Josh wrote: "We can't separate ourselves from "the world" like they have some sort of contagious disease that we don't want to catch. We have to go into the world doing whatever it takes to reach them like they have a deadly disease that we have the cure for."

And the very sad thing is that the world and not the church has all the great innovative ideas (and a lot of the talent) so the church is relegated to copying. It's a shame but there it is. It's pretty embarrassing actually. And when a church does innovate they get drilled by Pharisees.

Again this is a matter of taste. My wife and I are dissatisfied at the church we attend because of some of their marketing methods and the music is painfully loud ( and I like loud music). But I would never bad mouth what they are doing because the church is growing by leaps and bounds and the gospel is preached. It's just personal preference.

2017/7/18 14:58Profile
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

Exactly Todd! I think part of the reason we have to copy is because people are afraid of the out lash they will get from the church if they try anything new. You have such a precious spirit that many do not. We cannot elevate our personal preference. Its all about Him and them. Him being God and them being those outside of the church.

2017/7/18 15:42Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Todd, sad that you think that your personal preference in music, etc means choosing another church.

Is that really how the church is supposed to be? Pick and mix.

God help us in these days, we have lost our way if that is how the church thinks it should function! If anyone is offended because the music is too loud or geared to a particular culture, then the church / leaders have failed and need to repent and consider others more than themselves. Maybe you should tell them why you are leaving, don't you owe them that? They need to realise that they are probably putting off as many as they think they are winning, but they probably don't care!

2017/7/18 15:58Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re: Music

It's not the music, the dress, the atmosphere, etc

The Church needs to maintain the difference between the holy and profane. If the world starts dancing and cutting them selves we don't have to follow. There is still a need to know who you worship.

Isaiah 24 wrote about a group of people who were praising and singing God and happiness abounding and all of a sudden they realize they are undone. Unless one's life is changed by the Spirit, singing and music are just entertainment.

Does talent really matter with God? Does he want the best musicians and singers regardless? The world offers what seems so right, i.e. the tree of good and evil. Don't be taken in.

2017/7/18 16:01Profile

Re:

When I read this article, my heart broke. For a long time I've been trapped in a "religious mindset"...not even knowing it. I say this with gentleness, respect, and sincerity. The Lord has been breaking through to my heart showing me where I'm so flawed, and I have a LONG way to go, because I haven't arrived. My righteousness is as filthy rags.

When I was a pre teen I gave my life to Jesus. I loved Him more than anything (and still do)...it was pure. I remember listening to Christian Rock music at such a young age and I praised Jesus with ALL of my heart. Those were the days I was zealous, sharing the Gospel with everyone I knew, it was all so innocent because I came to Jesus as a child and I DIDN'T KNOW anything different....all I knew is that the Rock music bands I listened to were praising Jesus....Petra, Resurrection Band, Daniel Band, Keith Green, Jerusalem, etc....and it made me want to love Jesus and do His will ALL the more.

Something happened later in life that made me judgmental. I began to hear how bad it was to listen to these groups, and it made me second guess everything I did. In wasn't until recently that God had to tear down this pride by allowing the most devastating circumstances to shake my life awake. It was then that the love of Christ broke through that wall....and I became like that child again.

Jesus told us not to judge the outward appearance. He said you will know that these are my disciples because of their love one for another....not the worlds love, but His love.

Like our sister Lisa said, we shouldn't be so quick to judge. Im not a fan of many types of music, including club, rock, etc, but if I see Jesus being lifted up, people on fire for Him sharing the Gospel, and good fruit coming from that...who am I to judge them or way they are coming to Christ??? The way I came to Jesus as a child was no different, even though, this is a different generation. I didn't even know many believers looked at it as devil music as a child. It really confused me, and I learned to be legalistic, and later fell into sin.

To the pure in heart, all things are pure. Im not at all saying Jesus condones sin by any means or that any of us should ever compromise the convictions placed upon us by the precious Holy Spirit....no, no, no. Im learning that music in itself is not a sin, except for angry or sensual sounding music, no matter how much I don't like it....it's what is done with that music that defiles it. Jesus said, WHATEVER you DO, do it as unto the Lord.

The Lord uses foolish things of this world to confound the wise. Only Jesus can see the hearts of people. We are called to look at the fruit. God forgive me if I ever cause one of these little ones to stumble because I was wise in my own opinion.

1 Corinthians 13 says so much to us. We can do all of these things, but if we don't have love, it profits nothing. Whoever is forgiven much, loves much.

Yes, these days are evil and getting worse. Theres a lot of lost, hungry souls out there. As Paul said, I will become all things to all men that I may reach more but without sinning. Just something to think about....

God bless you all

2017/7/18 16:02
JHerndon

Bonifay,Fl

Re:

Great post Sherri!

2017/7/18 16:18Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Paul Washer's message to youth in 2002. Was he right? Is it even more relevant now? Have we be deluded so much we have forgotten this rebuke?

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?currSection=sermonssource&sermonID=52906154239

2017/7/18 16:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy