SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A Thought Provoking Statement

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Thank you sherry, my comments were more about the topic and not directed at your post.
The statement that "the Bible is not a holy book. But the Bible is a book about One who is holy." i would call
"unhelpful" rather then "thought provoking"
Appreciate your comments on this forum .

2017/7/15 17:57

Re: Mark

•••The statement that "the Bible is not a holy book. But the Bible is a book about One who is holy." i would call
"unhelpful" rather then "thought provoking"•••

Brother, resppectfully, I think it is thought provoking. I cannot really say what was in this pastor's heart when he made this statement to me. But I think he might have been thinking those Colts such as the Jehovah Witnesses, the Mormons, or the Muslims have their own Holy Book. I think he might have been implying that if we Christians are not careful, our emphasis on the Bible will be the same the Muslims who put an emphasis on the Karan.

To the Muslims their Koran is nothing but a book of rules. To us believers and followers of Jesus the Bible should be God's love letter to us that speaks of how to have a relationship with his Son. And how to live out that relationship.

Yet even in this forum there have been fierce debates over which is the one pure translation. There have been those who have tried to convince us that the KJV is the only translation to use. Thus relegating the Bible to nothing more than just a book of rules as to which rule book is the better one to use. I've often seen that those who contend for the KJV are often the most legalistic in their approach to a walk with faith with Christ.

I'm trying to understand more of a New Covenant position as to how a follower of Jesus should view the scripture. One thing that I am convinced of is that without the Holy Spirit. The Bible will become nothing more than just a glorified rulebook and inspirational stories. We need the Holy Spirit to quicken the scriptures to our heart and mind.

Again simply my thoughts on this.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/15 18:58
Elibeth

Re:

Bro.Bear,
I really do not know if I am understanding you rightfully,...forgive me if I am not,...please except my continuing thoughts:

...the same words that are written down, is the testimony of Jesus,..the testimony of God,..Words that came out of His mouth and life. (Life)
He said, His Word is One.

That God' Word is very Pure,.. whether I am reading it or The Lord is speaking to me through The Spirit. ...every Word of God is very Pure.

Doesn't it just quicken our spirit, while we are reading it ?
Yes,it is the written Word,...it alines with the quicken Word that is within.

The testimonies of Jesus-
For Instructions in righteousness-
To confirm what He says / instructions-
The comfort of the scriptures-

Rom.15:4,
"For whatsoever things were written aforetiime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of scripture might have hope."

(in most gentleness I speak),..why should we not just worship
His Word ?...it is One...it is Truth.
I hold The written Word ,my dearest possession of material things,although I know that I have His Spirit / Word within,should His written Word be taken away.

Lovingly,
-------------
elizabeth

2017/7/15 20:06Profile
SugarRun

IA

Re: The Bible is not a Holy book?

Could that statement simple mean not to superstitiously think this printed and bound word of God is an object to actually hold up to ward off evil?

Some do this similar thing with a crucifix. One I know actually thought the Bible protected their home.~ eileen

2017/7/17 9:41Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by Elibeth
(in most gentleness I speak),..why should we not just worship
His Word ?...it is One...it is Truth.

I can only speak for myself about my experiences of why I won't worship the paper pages of my Bible, even though I love my Bible.

I live in the buckle of the bible belt and I've known too many people who have worshiped the paper more than they worshiped the Son of the Living God. They will kill people over a verse rather than give life to someone and they run more people away from God than they draw to Him. That is my reason, be that as it may.

2 Cor 3:5-6
Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for THE LETTER KILLS, BUT THE SPIRIT GIVES LIFE. (emphasis Lisa's)

I do love my Bible and have several and I teach at my local jail for the girls to read it, and no, they do not know my feelings. But I also teach them to take their problems to the shower (their only private place) and cry out unto the One who can cleanse them and make them whole.

God bless,
Lisa

2017/7/17 15:31Profile
proudpapa

Re: C.H Spurgeon

The fact is that churches have made mistakes as well as individual men, and have fallen into grievous errors both in practice and doctrine. Look at the churches of Galatia, Corinth, Laodicea, Hardis, and so on; nay, we find that the first disciples of our Lord, who made up the truly primitive and apostolic church, were not infallible, they made a great mistake about a simple saying of our Lord. He said concerning John, “If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?” “Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?” Even the apostles themselves could blunder, and did blunder. They were infallible in what they wrote when they were under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, but at no other time. Yet, brethren, I marvel not that in the sore distress to which the mind is often brought, it is found better to believe in an infallible church than to be left to mere reason, to be tossed to and fro, a desolate waif, driven by ever changeful winds over the awful leagues of questionings which are found in the restless ocean of unbelief. Longing as I do for a sure foundation, and rejecting both popes and councils, where shall I look?

We have a more sure word of testimony, a rock of truth upon which we rest, for our infallible standard lies in, “It is written.” The Bible, the whole Bible, and nothing but the Bible, is our religion. It is said that it is hard to be understood, but it is not so to those who seek the guidance of the Spirit of God. There are in it great truths which are above our comprehension, placed there on purpose to let us see how shallow are our finite minds, but concerning vital and fundamental points the Bible is not hard to be understood, neither is there any excuse for the multitudes of errors which men pretend to have gathered from it. A babe in grace taught by the Spirit of God may know the mind of the Lord concerning salvation, and find its way to heaven by the guidance of the word alone. But be it profound or simple, that is not the question; it is the word of God, and is pure, unerring truth. Here is infallibility, and nowhere else.

2017/7/17 15:51Profile
proudpapa

Menno Simons

"Again, I have no visions or angelic revelations, neither do I seek or desire such, lest I be thereby deceived. For Christ's Word alone is sufficient for me. If I do not follow His testimony, then verily all is lost. And even if I had such revelations, which is not the case, they could not deviate from the Word and spirit of Christ, or else they would be only imagination, seduction and satanic deception." - Menno Simons

add :

"Inasmuch as I daily see these terrible dangers, and from the beginning many an unwise soul has been misled, and many are yet misled by false prophecies, smooth words, seeming holiness, lying wonders, boasting and false promises of the antichrists and false prophets who under the cloak of God's Word have ever sought their own honor and advantage, as was the case with the Romish popes, with John of Leyden at Münster and with others, - therefore I deem it needful and well sincerely to warn and admonish my beloved readers, not to accept my doctrine as the Gospel of Jesus Christ until they have investigated for themselves and found it to agree with the Spirit and Word of the Lord, that their faith may not be founded on me nor on any other teacher or writer, but solely on Jesus Christ." - Menno Simons

2017/7/17 16:09Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Menno Simons

The Holy Spirit through Peter speaks it plainly. It is the Word of God that saves us, "spoken by the Holy Spirit to the heart".

1 Peter 1:22-25 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

By the "Word" of God, this "Word" is Logos.

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again <anagennao>, not <ou> of <ek> corruptible <phthartos> seed <spora>, but <alla> of incorruptible <aphthartos>, by <dia> the word <logos> of God <theos>, which liveth <zao> and <kai> abideth <meno> for <eis> ever <aion>.

Logos; this is "the divine expression of Jesus Christ" as in John 1; "the Word was God". This is the living Word which the Holy Spirit seal and birthing by the Father, the incorruptible Seed birthed in each of us who believe, this living word is the Words of Life, and can be used to preach Christ in any language, This I believe is what tongues is all about.

The "word" in verse 25 is hray-mah which is the written word preached by what cannot be preached without a Preacher.

Holy Spirit preached or man preached, it is all Holy, including the words on the page which is for our learning and remembering the Holiness of Jesus Christ, the Father and the Holy Spirit.

In Christ: Phillip

2017/7/18 21:37Profile
rbanks

Re:

Psalms 138:2
2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise -- thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

John 1:1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

This will be my one and only post on this thread because I would never consider such a statement as thought provoking but very unprofitable as this thread is doing no good for people who are suppose to believe that God's Word is Holy and the only way for salvation and for us to be presented Holy unto the Lord.

The Holy Spirit always exalts Jesus who is the Word and would never inspire such a statement but it only could have come from the fleshly nature of man. Not accusing the man of not being saved but we must understand our flesh can sometimes get in the way.

The Bible is a Holy library of 66 Holy Books inspired by a Holy God. I cringe at the thought of even suggesting that God's Word is not Holy. We do not say that the books of the Bible contain the Word of God but that it is the Word of God and never should we even suggest it is unholy. We should perish the thought and even consider it close to blasphemy when the Holy Spirit and the Word are One.

Blessings to all...and I do hope that you will give this thread a sudden death...and don't even give it a proper funeral because it is not even worthy to be consider of any profitability to anyone or worthy of Him who is a consuming fire of all that is unholy.

2017/7/18 23:50Profile

Re:

•••We do not say that the books of the Bible contain the Word of God but that it is the Word of God and never should we even suggest it is unholy. We should perish the thought and even consider it close to blasphemy when the Holy Spirit and the Word are One.•••

If I did not know any better it would seem the above statement would imply worship of the written Bible. This almost would imply a new meaning of the Trinity which is Holy Father, Holy Son, Holy Bible.

It would seem that worship of the written Bible itself is more blasphemous. We are called To Worship the Living Word. The Living Word is Jesus Himself.

In the book of Revelation we are told that He has a name. And His name is the Word of God. That is the risen Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ, The Living Word, is the King of kings and Lord of lords. It is not the Holy Bible.

Simply my thoughts. Thoughts that would have gotten me burned at the stake and probably still will. But my confession is Jesus is Lord. My confession is He the Living Word. And my confession is the scriptures are that which give wisdom in how one is to have faith and life in His name. But my confession is it is the Living Word Jesus Himself who is to be worshipped and not the written word.

Again simply my thoughts.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/19 7:57

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy