Jesus Paid It All

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rWXUqF_BFo

How Great Is Your Love For Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_4cy-tnGI&list=RDY-_4cy-tnGI&index=1

2017/7/14 1:14Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Our Great God and Saviour Jesus Christ

"As little as the Hebrews with the Old Testament, its God-given law, its temple service, and its prophecy, could withstand the temptation to "wax weary and grow faint," can the New Testament, with a sound Church and Church doctrine, and its religious services, give us the true life and power of godliness. lt is Jesus Christ we must know better. lt is He who lives to-day in heaven, who can lead us into the heavenly sanctuary, and keep us there, who can give heaven into our heart and life. The knowledge of Jesus in His heavenly glory and His saving power; it is this our Churches and our Christians need." --- Andrew Murray

2017/7/14 11:00Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

THAT I MAY KNOW HIM --- The Role of Scripture

“But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead” (Phil. 3:7-11 NASB).

Scriptures give us the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus (2 Tim. 3:15).

Scriptures point us to the Lord Jesus who alone is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

2017/7/15 10:28Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: THAT I MAY KNOW HIM --- The Role of Scripture

Excerpt from “Dying to Self: The Spirit of Love (Third Dialogue)” by William Law (1752) and edited by Andrew Murray (1898):

Theophilus.— The true perfection and profitableness of the holy written Word of God is fully set forth by St. Paul to Timothy: “From a child (saith he) thou hast known the Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation, which is by faith in Christ Jesus.” Now these Scriptures were the Law and the Prophets, for Timothy had known no other from his youth. And as they, so all other Scriptures since, have no other good or benefit in them but as they lead and direct us to a salvation that is not to be had in themselves but from faith in Christ Jesus. Their teaching is only to teach us where to seek and to find the fountain and source of all light and knowledge.

Of the Law, saith the Apostle, “it was a schoolmaster to Christ”; of the Prophets, he said the same: “Ye have (says he) a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto you do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the daystar ariseth in your hearts.” The same thing is to be affirmed of the letter of the New Testament; it is but our schoolmaster unto Christ, a light like that of prophecy, to which we are to take great heed until Christ, as the dawning of the day, or the daystar, ariseth in our hearts. Nor can the thing possibly be otherwise. No instruction that comes under the form of words can do more for us than sounds and words can do. They can only direct us to something that is better than themselves, that can be the true light, life, spirit, and power of holiness in us.

Eusebius.—I cannot deny what you say, and yet it seems to me to derogate from Scripture.

Theophilus.—Would you then have me to say that the written Word of God is that Word of God which liveth and abideth for ever; that Word of God which is the wisdom and power of God; that Word which was with God, which was God, by whom all things were made; that Word of God which was made flesh for the redemption of the world; that Word of God, of which we must be born again; that Word which “lighteth every man that cometh into the world”; that Word which in Christ Jesus “is become wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification in us”; would you have me say that all this is to be understood of the written Word of God? But if this cannot possibly be, then all that I have said is granted, namely, that Jesus alone is that Word of God that can be the light, life, and salvation of fallen man. Or how is it possible more to exalt the letter of Scripture than by owning it to be a true, outward, verbal direction to the one only true light and salvation of man?

Suppose you had been a true disciple of John the Baptist, whose only office was to prepare the way to Christ, how could you have more magnified his office or declared your fidelity to him than by going from his teaching to be taught by that Christ to whom he directed you? The Baptist was, indeed, a “burning and a shining light,” and so are the Holy Scriptures; but “he was not that light, but was sent to bear witness of that light. That was the true light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.”

What a folly it would be to say that you had undervalued the office and character of John the Baptist because he was not allowed to be the light itself, but only a true witness of it, and guide to it. Now if you can show that the written Word in the Bible can have any other or higher office or power than such a ministerial one as the Baptist had, I am ready to hear you.

2017/7/15 10:31Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

THAT I MAY KNOW HIM --- The Role of Scripture

Commentary by Andrew Murray:

“……so the Scriptures, the more we study and rejoice in them, will only have their full effect upon us as they daily point us to Christ. They can awaken us to desire and obedience and diligence and faith; it is Christ himself whom faith receives, who becomes within us the life and the light of our souls.

“It is possible to be most diligent and even successful in our Bible study, and yet to miss the real blessing it is meant to bring. Scripture ever points us away from itself to the living Word, Christ Jesus, who waits to be formed within us, and to the blessed Spirit who is within us, and is alone able to make what we read or hear “truth in the inward part.” The Holy Spirit, by whose inspiration the Word was written, and by whose inspiration alone the Word can become life within us, who, as the spirit of truth, is himself the truth, the power, the life of all that is in the word, dwells within you.”

2017/7/15 10:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy