SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Evan Roberts Quote
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Book of Enoch

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sree

Re:

Just because Jude quotes from the Book of Enoch, does not mean the book should be accepted. It is a failed logic. If we go by this failed logic then we should also include the book written by Crete's prophet because Paul quoted him so and also said that his testimony is True!

Titus 1-12As one of their own prophets has said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.” 13This testimony is true.

Enoch could have really said such a line about judgment and the Holy Spirit could have revealed it to Jude. If all scriptures are divinely inspired then why do we believe that everything should be quoted from some other book?

There is a clear reason why the book of Enoch cannot be considered as authentic. Definitely it was not written by Enoch himself because there was no way to write things in those days. It said to be written some 200 years before Christ.

I would not promote such books and even encourage others to read them. There are enough books in the Bible to challenge and edify us. We do not need such extra Biblical book to be read as a Biblical account. If someone has the maturity to read such content without considering them as Word of God then they can read to get some historical perspective. But I do not believe everyone has it.

For example I read few Calvinistic writers but deep inside me I know that their theology is unacceptable to me. I will never be inspired by their theology and nor do I believe that everything they write is Word of God. If we can read the book of Enoch not truly inspired by God then we can read them.

2017/7/9 6:30Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Just because Jude quotes from the Book of Enoch, does not mean the book should be accepted. It is a failed logic. If we go by this failed logic then we should also include the book written by Crete's prophet because Paul quoted him so and also said that his testimony is True!

I believe Sree is right here. We cannot canonize an entire book simply because one of the apostles quoted a sentence from it.

Quote:
There is a clear reason why the book of Enoch cannot be considered as authentic. Definitely it was not written by Enoch himself because there was no way to write things in those days. It said to be written some 200 years before Christ.

There is no reason, in my mind, to think that Enoch did not write the book of Enoch. He may have, and perhaps he did not, but there is no reason to doubt it simply because he lived some 4000 years ago. There is no logical reason to believe that Noah did not have his own personal library on board the ark and that these books did not survive the journey. Writing certainly existed. Noah built a massive ship that required some pretty amazing engineering and construction techniques and equipment. Without doubt Noah drafted drawings and plans of the design God gave him so that those who he had helping him build knew what was going on. I actually believe that Moses probably read and compiled some of the material from Noah's library in order to write the first part of the book of Genesis. "This is the book of the generations (history) of Adam".

2017/7/9 8:21Profile

Re:

Heartbreaking topic.
We should not use "human" logic here. What do I mean?
God is Almighty and He alone is wise.He knows that Enoch is not in His Holy Word
But He didn't make a mistake or miss anything !!
If we question the 66 books then we question God and His Wisdom and His Power .

If we now use our own logic we debate Scripture rather then proclaiming it.If we don't spend our time proclaiming the Good news and to build each other up then we don't advance the Kingdom of God.
And who likes it most if we don't proclaim and advance God's Kingdom ??

Romans 16v27 to God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen

Jude1v25
To God our Savior,[g]
Who alone is wise,[h]
Be glory and majesty,
Dominion and power,[i]
Both now and forever.
Amen.(NKJV)

2017/7/9 17:27
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Markus I don't see anyone here saying Enoch or other similar works should be scripture. I find it interesting like I might find the epic of Gilgamesh or the histories of Josephus interesting.

Peter and Jude obviously found them interesting- so much so they lifted information from them in writing their epistles. If we believe these books were inspired then we must conclude that God WANTED them to reference these writings.

Now that is something to chew on.

2017/7/9 17:36Profile

Re:

TMK - Quote: "Sort of makes the evangelical interpretation of "sola scriptura 66 books only" seem silly."

Sad that "Enoch" is even on SI

Over and out - blessings !

2017/7/9 17:55
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Markus/ not sure why you are quoting me- I never said that and I don't have any issue at all with SS.

2017/7/9 18:38Profile

Re:

Thanks Todd - to clarify here is what you said: "I don't see anyone here saying Enoch or other similar works should be scripture."
Here is what I saw:"Sort of makes the evangelical interpretation of "sola scriptura 66 books only" seem silly."
You are right - we just looked and interpreted some posts differently ;)

I don't think it is appropriate to think we are all "silly" who believe we should only use those 66 books.

The more extra-biblical stuff is on SI the more time we spend debating rather then praying and proclaiming the Good News and it causes less and less unity.

2017/7/9 19:24
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Jesus never quoted from any apocryphal books. He would never quote a book that says something like this: "For alms deliver from all sin, and from death, and will not suffer the soul to go into darkness." Tobit 4:11
It may appear that He quoted from the apocrypha: dig a little deeper and you'll see He was clarifying the Law and the prophets. All satan can ever do is counterfeit, and that's all the apocrypha is, a cheap counterfeit, like the book of enoch or the "gospel" of Thomas.

2017/7/9 19:39Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Markus- I agree.

2017/7/9 21:06Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re:

I imagine all of you have a library of other books from other writers. Probably for sure a promise Keeper book, Maybe a book of Mormon, etc. Doesn't mean you write all of Enoch off or these books either. How many versions of the Bible do each of you have?

2017/7/9 21:21Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy