SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Please don't get mad at me for this-

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re:

Concerning the sun, ever see a flashlight with a round ball shaped end and what kind of reflection can a round shaped ball do as a moon? The Navy has laser guns that can shoot around 100 miles. How do they go through the water with that laser since the target would be under water a couple thousand feet at that distance?

Imagine flying a jet plane at 2000 mph and trying to maintain a level flight. There was a gentleman that went up in a special balloon years ago. he said the earth was concave.

2017/7/3 20:28Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Fletcher- Gods glory could outshine the sun so as to move the sundial backwards. It's all a matter of angles. The phenomenon was not limited to Israel because I believe the Persians also noted same.

Fletcher you seem to be possibly questioning that the earth is in fact a sphere but I can't tell. Are you? If you are, whatever you do stay away from the wacko internet flat earth sites.

2017/7/3 20:49Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re:

I guess we must prepare to burn our Bibles as there's a lot of other things in there that would seem just as impossible. It's said Moses wrote Genesis and he spoke directly with God, seen besides Jesus in the transfiguration and apparently is coming as one of the witnesses to take care of the big Pharaoh, the one who won't let the people go...

Just Don't hate me.

2017/7/3 21:19Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Roger- saying the earth is flat has no bearing whatsoever in a belief that God can and does work miracles. One has nothing to do with the other.

Please don't mistake insisting on truth for hate. My refusal to give any ground regarding this flat earth nonsense has nothing to do with you personally. Unfortunately you have been swayed by strange people, and that is regrettable.

2017/7/3 21:27Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: brother Todd

Ha! I'm not suggesting anything,... just reading these passages as I do all the others and (in my experience) when the scriptures speak metaphorically or in parables they are clear on that point. These passages as well as the creation account reads as tho it is to be taken literally, no?
I understand your points about Gods glory, but that isn't what it says happened so I'm simply trying to be honest in searching a thing out:)

To me it seems it would've been a small thing for Jesus or any other prominent biblical figure to simply correct mans misunderstanding of the workings of the cosmos and more specifically our solar system, but Holy Spirit didn't direct that and from my understanding at this point seems to do quite the opposite, which is to perpetually confirm the other as I've found several passages of scripture stating the sun "moves" (very specific in psalms 19:6) and not only not one mention of the earths rotational "movement" but to the contrary states it doesn't move or is immovable....

Again I'm not stating anything regarding the earth being flat, however the Bible seems to be ver matter of fact regarding a "geocentric" arrangement and I find that fascinating. Still researching and am open to interpretations and options to reconcile this- tho it is interesting that the same scientists who say it's heliocentric also tell me I evolved from apes and that gender is a social construct 😳.... that doesn't mean they're wrong on the heliocentric idea but it sure doesn't help my ability to take their word on blind faith. I mean I've never travelled into space and observed it first hand and I personally don't know anyone who has...

You're an attorney right?
Why would you think that God, knowing the end from the beginning, would not only never correct mans understanding but seemingly testifies to the contrary without exception?
I honestly cannot think of another biblical case where this is the case so it interests me as it is quite the anomalous account-

2017/7/3 22:02Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hi Fletcher-

Thanks for your reply.

I think much depends on how we view certain portions of scripture.

David, being a poet, wrote poems that described what he observed. Obviously a person on the earth sees the sun moving. If that same person was able to stand on the sun he would see the earth moving.

One must decide whether David's statement about the sun can be taken as a personal observation, or whether (because it's in the Bible) it must be regarded as absolute scientific fact. Personally, I have no problem whatsoever, not even in the very least, that the Bible is inspired despite some scientifically incorrect statements in scripture.

Isaac thought that if goats mated in front of notched sticks they would have speckled offspring. Just because this is a load of nonsense does not mean that the Bible is not inspired.

As to Jesus not clarifying cosmology, that was so far removed from his mission it isn't even funny.

But I have every confidence that someday he'll tell me that Hugh Ross was right- but of course that is just me.

2017/7/3 22:39Profile

Re:

Great thread dear Fletcher! Love your courage and humility in posting!

I've been researching the flat, stationary earth for about a year and a half now. Geocentrism as well. Even the firmament ("dome").

During that time, I have spent hours and hours re-reading the Bible, praying, and talking with the saints.

It has gotten me interested in science like nothing ever before in my life, to date.

I've learned more about cosmology than I ever dreamed I would, and I'm only scratching the surface I'm sure.

It's truly been a life-giving learning experience, personally.

It has been said, "truth fears no investigation".

I see it as healthy to question things.

Fletcher, those passages you mentioned, (among others) have absolutely fascinated me during these studies! For whatever reason, til these past couple of years, it never dawned on my how big of a deal it is that there was light BEFORE the sun, moon and stars were created on day four.

Not to mention the sun, moon and stars being "IN" the firmament! Utterly awesome!

Recently, I had a wild thought. You know that passage in Revelation that talks about the glory of God "giving light", so much so that the sun and moon are not needed?

"And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb." - Revelation 21:23

My thought was, what if that's the same light (God's glory) that shone BEFORE the sun, moon and stars were created on day 4?

He is the same yesterday, today and forever! Hallelujah!

All that to say, I am encouraged by your creating this thread JFW!

Study on brother, study on!

Love you all!

2017/7/3 22:51
Martyr

United States

Re:

Some of you seem conflicted on how the old testament speaks of things against current cosmology and yet is inspired. I ask, have you ever spoken by the Holy Spirit before? If so, did you instantly know everything about everything including the very workings of the universe and it's arrangement? The answer is no, you didn't. Moses did not know the pythagorean theorem, David had no idea what an atom was and Jeremiah did not know general relativity. These are very ancient documents. The men that wrote them existed a very long time ago, they did not know what we did. They spoke from the Spirit in the time they were and according to the knowledge they had. Some of it was incorrect factually, that's what happens when God decides to speak through a 10th century BC Shepherd boy. He wasn't a genius. God did not speak to Him as a 21st century american, he spoke to him as a 10th century shepherd boy. Why are people hinging so much upon them to even deny modern scientific facts that have been demonstrated time again in practice?

2017/7/3 23:12Profile
proudpapa

Re:

Tyler,

Do you believe the Genesis account of creation or do you believe the modern science theory of billions of years and that man is evolved pond scum ?

2017/7/3 23:17Profile
Martyr

United States

Re:

I believe the Genesis account, why do you ask? Proudpapa if this is about my view of the scriptures I would appreciate it if you actually responded to the points I made and not try to find something you can accuse me with. When men can't argue they accuse and it's really getting old.

2017/7/3 23:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy