Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A question about Baal worship

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: brother Todd

As far as my understanding allows, yes they were "real" and could "bless" in the sense of a demon can assist in the acquisition of sin, no?

Take Deuteronomy 32 for example....

16 They provoked him to jealousy with strange gods, with abominations provoked they him to anger.
17 They sacrificed unto devils, not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new gods that came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.
18 Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee.
19 And when the LORD saw it, he abhorred them, because of the provoking of his sons, and of his daughters.

If you care to, read the rest of the chapter as the Lord gets pretty heated with them-

But yeah my understanding is this; say a demonic entity masquerades as some sort of deity and gets people to worship it- it would make easy for the individuals in whom the devil had a strong hold to show favor or "bless" those whom are being recruited in whatever way possible.

Another way this happens (in my experience) is say a person is praying to God for a mate/spouse and is otherwise a faithful believer, but after a time of God making them wait (perhaps to prepare them) they grow weary and are so desirous that they fall into temptation with a person whom God has not led them to be with... My understanding is that the devils listen, or "seek out" someone to temp or "devour" and it wouldn't take much to draw someone in whom it had a stronghold to temp the person seeking a spouse.... and of course they would "look" the part- of course this could also be with money, status, goods, services, etc....

(And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.)

2017/7/6 0:25Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Good points Fletcher.

2017/7/6 7:07Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by TMK
But how then do you deal with Romans 1?

I cannot speak to whether Paul was speaking specifically to the Jewish Baal worshipers or not.

Quote:
by TMK
What was so very attractive about Baal worship to the Israelites? In other words, did they perceive some benefit?

I can only surmise that it benefited them as it benefits people today, through the lusts of the eyes, the lusts of the flesh and the pride of life.

2017/7/6 7:22Profile
SugarRun

IA

Re:

The gods of this world

1 John 2:16 “ For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but Is from the world.”
Genesis 3:6 “When the woman saw that the tree was good for food” [natural desire] to enjoy things of the body- for food, sleep, sex etc. [which are not wrong in themselves but must not be misused]

“And that it was a delight to the eyes” [desire to get things] - this brings to one’s attention things outside oneself that he could get for himself in one way or another.

“And that the tree was to be desired to make one wise” [the desire to accomplish things for self, for the world, or for God.] this desire is not essentially wrong but may lead to pride. If we seek to accomplish more than God has led us to do.

“She took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and she gave also to her husband with her, and he did eat.”
Judges 19:10:6 “then the sons of Israel again did evil in the sight of the Lord, served Baal and Ashtoreth, the gods of Aram, the gods of the sons of Ammon, and the gods of the Philistines. Thus they forsook the Lord and did not serve Him”
Israel entered the Promised Land and yet refused to throw down the altars of Baalim, Ashtoreth and Moloch.

Who is Baalim? The word means ‘owner’ and is worshipped to secure ‘things’ [things that break, get old and are hauled off]

Who is Ashtoreth? The god of sensual experience. Illegal experience-enjoying outside the bounds of God.

Who is Moloch? This is the god of ‘ascendancy over one’s fellows.’ Pride of life- the ambitious man wishes to rise above his present position or condition and puts forth effort toward that end.

Ambitious man for social position.
Enterprising man [interest especially in wealth is characterized by energy and daring in undertaking projects.

Aspiring man- wishes to rise [mentally or spiritually] to a high level or plane, or to attain some end that he feels to be above his ordinary expectations.
Luke 4:1-13 Satan attacked Christ with same pattern- [all Satan has are thee three weapons]

1. To enjoy things [lust of the flesh] “If thou art the Son of God, command this stone to become bread.

2. To get things [lust of the eyes] “He led Him up, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, to thee will I give all this authority, and the glory of them. For it has been delivered unto me, and to whosoever I will give it, if thou wilt worship before me, it shall be thine.”

3. To do things [vainglory of life] “He led Him to Jerusalem and set Him on the pinnacle of the temple and said unto Him, “If thou be the Son of God, cast yourself down from hence: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee, to guard thee and on their hands shall they bear thee up, lest haply thou dash thy foot against a stone.”
Compilation Hegre and Reidhead

eileen

2017/7/6 11:26Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I understand what you are saying and agree; I am just wondering specifically what drew them to Baal worship; what did they think they were getting out of it?

Todd: I regularly meet and often minister to people who are absolutely in the depths of sin and their lives are a total wreck as a result. They are full of pain, depression, addiction, etc.. If I think about it, the same question comes up in my mind. But I don't think it has to do with personal benefit. It has to do with a heart that rejects submission to God and as a result is totally open to deception. I don't think people are generally in sin or worship false God's because they have done a personal cost vs. benefit analysis ( :-) ), but rather because they are open to deception.

Just my thoughts.

2017/7/6 18:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy