Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A question about Baal worship

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

A question about Baal worship

2 Kings 17:10-11 They set up for themselves sacred pillars and wooden images on every high hill and under every green tree. There they burned incense on all the high places, like the nations whom the Lord had carried away before them; and they did wicked things to provoke the Lord to anger...

2 Kings 17:10, 16-17 They set up for themselves sacred pillars and wooden images on every high hill and under every green tree. So they left all the commandments of the Lord their God, made for themselves a molded image and two calves, made a wooden image and worshiped all the host of heaven, and served Baal. And they caused their sons and daughters to pass through the fire, practiced witchcraft and soothsaying, and sold themselves to do evil in the sight of the Lord, to provoke Him to anger.

What was so very attractive about Baal worship to the Israelites? In other words, did they perceive some benefit? I have a hard time understanding the attraction. Generally great sin is committed because a person is deceived into thinking it is somehow "worth it." I don't understand this when it comes to this Baal worship by the Israelites- especially when they experienced Gods many judgments because of it.

2017/6/30 7:27Profile
beekpr

Re: A question about Baal worship

When God created us, He breathed into us the "breath of life". This is the faculty through which we can enjoy communion with Him. However, the fall opened up the same part of our being to the influence of evil spirits. Christians fail to realize the part the spiritual world plays to influence our thinking. When we are not redeemed and filled with the Spirit of God our spirits become sitting ducks for the delusion of evil spirits and we can end up doing absurd evils which defy logic. Likewise, when we allow our hearts to be drawn away from God by the allure of the praise of men, riches, lust of the flesh etc. we again open up our hearts to "strong delusion". Hence we see people who once were on fire for God fall into degrading iniquity. Because we are made by God to be spiritual beings infilled by His Spirit there is much more than logic and intellectual reasoning determining how we live.

David

2017/6/30 9:54Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I understand what you are saying and agree; I am just wondering specifically what drew them to Baal worship; what did they think they were getting out of it?

2017/6/30 10:39Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

My understanding (which is limited) is that Baal is associated with the lust of the eyes or acquisition of things,... in contrast to Ashtoreth which being associated with the lust of the flesh or an illicit experience- Where Moloch is associated with the pride of life or power to control- godlike.

At least that's how Paris Reidhead taught it if my memory serves me correctly.
You know it's interesting that all 3 were observed in the garden with Eve, the fruit "looked" good - lust of the eyes
was forbidden- lust of the flesh
make you like God- pride of life

It seems they follow progressively, when we get the thing we want and it doesn't fulfill us then we seek experience only to then find it didn't satisfy we often seek power...

I've (for some reason) always thought of Baal, Ashtoreth, & Moloch as demonic gubernatorialships, like they have certain areas they oversee and are representative of a "toehold", "foothold", and "stronghold"....

2017/6/30 14:30Profile

Brother,

I think that the worship of Baal is about ignorance and about people not searching the truth. They think that what they believe is the right path.

When I started my christian life, I used to pray in a Catholic Church, I was such an ignorant about the false doctrine of Catholicism.

When I began digging the truth and the true christianity, my eyes went from blind to 20/20 vision.

I began sharing my faith to my Dad and explaining to him the truth about the Bible, and he accepted it, and that way I watered my Dad with my faith.

People do Baal worship, or any false worship because they lack knowledge and they do not try to seek the truth.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
Fools despise wisdom and instruction."
~ Proverbs 1:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."
~ Proverbs 14:12

2017/6/30 14:39
rookie

Savannah TN

As some have pointed out, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life are the ways in which Satan tempts man. It is always the same. The Scriptures in 2 Kings are a testimony of where man ends up when he rejects God and follows the temptations that are impressed upon the mind of the individual. So the one who follows the temptation will come to worship the creation as oppose to the Creator. The end result is the unfulfilled thirst for more that does not satisfy.

As Jesus taught the woman at the well, if you continue to seek relationships with men you will continue to thirst. If you drink of the water I have to give you you will thirst no more. Those who drink from the broken cistern will do things like those in 2 Kings.

Baal worship was shared experiences of those who have suffered the manifestation of sin that kills the individual. That is how Satan destroys.

2017/6/30 14:58Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree with your observations. Baal worship gave them an "excuse" to pursue and try to satisfy lustful desires. That's what they were getting out of it. They were getting nothing from Baal or Astoreth, obviously (they don't exist).

I don't think it was done in ignorance at all.

2017/6/30 15:52Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

We cannot judge the Israelites by our Spirit-filled walk with Christ. We have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, they did not.

"For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." John 1:17

My two cents!!
God bless,
Lisa

2017/6/30 16:05Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Yes Lysa but burning their children to death? They knew what they were doing was wrong. But the orgies made it worth it. Pretty disgusting.

All it proves to me is God's outrageous patience.

2017/6/30 17:30Profile
docs

Re:

I remember while in Israel last year that we visited Dan where Jeroboam set up a golden calf for the people to worship. He placed it there to entice the people to worship there instead of going to Jerusalem. I just didn't get it. I asked my fellow travelers how Jeroboam could have been so bold as to erect such a in your face provocation to God. Did he think it was going to go unnoticed or something? I still don't get it.

2017/6/30 19:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy