SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is Truth ?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I was preaching earlier today on John 3 and thinking about the difference between information and revelation. Revelation of truth brings faith's opportunity with it and the man who rejects that revelation immediately brings himself under 'judgment'. Information is just data transfer; it has no moral power.

"He is..." is information.
"I am..." is revelation.

2005/6/19 13:01Profile

Re: What is truth?

Hi aeryck,

I'll be honest, I don't think I can hack these big philosophical papers you've been reading, but, I'm sure it's worth putting in the links for those who may.

Quote:
..there is some question about whether Adam and Eve survived with a certain part of their nature which constituted the ability to still manifest a moral code without being in fellowship with God.

Because?...

Isn't it a bit 'hypothetical' to even begin to think about this, since God fixed things before He ever made them leave the garden of Eden? .. So they [i]could[/i] carry on a relationship with Him?

Quote:
but after studying and debating a fairly large number of evolutionists, I realized that the parts that deal with Natural Science in Romans 1, clearly show that God has allowed mankind to be able to practice inductive thought, the ability to extrapolate between visible and invisible, I am sorry if this does not make sense, it was hard for me in the beginning to.

Well, I'm delighted to know you now do get it.

Quote:
So can mankind without God, be moral. Oh yes, you have to just look at the examples. Mother Theresa, Albert Schwietzer, are just to big one's perhaps I am wrong to mentioning their names.

Didn't both of these believe in God? A quick websearch suggests both were believers. Maybe check them out further?

It is one thing to study philosophy to understand where it goes wrong; are you? But please, never forget that the word itself means 'love of corruption'. I'm sure you know this. Sorry to get on my soap box. I'll get off now. :-P

2005/6/19 17:13
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: What is Truth?

Dear Dorcas,

What did you say Philosophy is?

Do you think it is possible to actually win someone to Jesus by using your mind?

What is your understanding of the word 'apologetics'?

edit:add ~ and ofcourse; What is truth? (if Jesus had replied to Pilate, just what might he have said, this is the point of this thread. The thread you commented on has three possible answers mentioned by Prof. Nicole....)

The author that I referred to is Professor Roger Nicole, and his work is recommended reading for theology majors: specifically the paper ~ What is truth? [If you would like a copy.]~ email me please as I am off the threads working on a new book. PM: [email protected].

Bless God!

In Jesus,
Aeryck.
:-?

2005/6/19 18:58Profile

Re:

Dear aeryck,

Quote:
Do you think it is possible to actually win someone to Jesus by using your mind?

No.

If you meant, would my mind be involved in choosing the words by which I present the gospel to someone? Of course. I would qualify this statement further to include the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and my knowledge of God's nature.

2005/6/19 19:31

Re: What is truth?

Dear aeryck,

Quote:
What did you say Philosophy is?

I said it is the 'love of corruption' but, I was getting mixed up with philosophistry. Your question made me look it up again and I see it is given more of a bent towards wisdom or, the 'love of knowledge', with 'speculation' tagged on at the end. I note you are interested to 'speculate' what Jesus may have answered to Pilate.

Quote:
his work is recommended reading for theology majors

Are you a theology major, or something?

Definition of 'apologetics':

The branch of theology that is concerned with defending or proving the truth of Christian doctrines.

Formal argumentation in defense of something, such as a position or system.

Quote:
if Jesus had replied to Pilate, just what might he have said, this is the point of this thread.

Here is the conversation Pilate had with Jesus.

John 18
33 Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews?
34 Jesus answered him, Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it thee of me?
35 Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?
36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
38 Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? [u]And when he had said this, he went out[/u] again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault.

The reason I've quoted the whole section is to show that Pilate was not seriously asking 'What is truth?' It wasn't a respectful question to which he hoped to learn an answer - an answer for which he then waited to hear a response from Jesus. Jesus had mentioned truth in his last statement and Pilate picked up on it and then [i]scoffed[/i] 'What is truth?' Immediately, not intending to receive an answer, (the great shame being that he was speaking with THE TRUTH), he walked away.

I'm not comfortable with [i]speculating[/i] as to what Jesus might of said, apart from 'I Am', especially in the light of the preceding exchange, in which you could say Pilate had had an extremely enlightening conversation with Jesus, where Jesus had been more open about His eternal agenda than his disciples had so far been able to grasp. And, Pilate recognised, in those few words, that Jesus was talking about invisible values - or so he thought.

'What is truth?' becomes a theoretical pastime, devoid of ultimate purpose, in the light of knowing Jesus already.

The only way to introduce others to 'truth' is by referring to Jesus, His words, or, living right under their noses in an irrefutable demonstration of His life.

I completely agree that discussions about meanings and comparisons of method of 'knowing' are a valuable part of being able to present the gospel to some people, but, please bear with my skepticism here; the knowledge of God and His Son Jesus Christ is not beyond a child of less than average intelligence or health. We all should be a little careful about how many years of our lives we give to mastering these avenues of human learning, since it may be, simply, a matter of the seeker finding the Door and walking though it, to sup with the One in whom resides all the treasures of [true] wisdom and knowledge - a step out of their world, into His.

2005/6/19 20:45
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: WHAT IS TRUTH?

Hey Dorcas,

What was this thread actually about?

In Jesus,
Aeryck.
:-?

ps. A simple question really, what might Jesus had said in reply to Pilates Question: What is Truth?

2005/6/21 12:21Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

A,

The quote:
"Another incident where a great philosopher, oh I can't remember her name, committed suiside, in looking at her diaries, there was a plea which recurred, 'if only someone would love me'"

Was this Madelyn Murray O'Hare? seems like I heard somewhere that she made this statement. She came to a tragic end...

Ginnyrose

2005/6/21 20:30Profile

Re: WHAT IS TRUTH?

Dear aeryck,

Sorry for spoiling your thread. Trying to base the question on a Bible verse where it doesn't fit, doesn't stimulate the old grey matter here. :-?

2005/6/21 20:41
aeryck

United Kingdom

Not to worry Dorcas, there have been some fine perceptions and illuminating insights from everyone who contributed here.

This morning as I was making my way along the coastal rode, before I got to Scarborough, I struggled as usual between choosing to listen to God's Word [I have a taped version] and a ministry tape.

Well, I was listening to the section surrounding the trail and the build up to the question. It was not Pilate's only question.

Then I got to the verse before his question,

'Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.' [John 18:37]

You can see from the emboldened section that I finally got it. I think it was Philologos who actually mentioned this, I just could not find the reference.

As I walked in the front door, all the verse came tumbling like finally solving the rubicube.

Jesus also says, 'my sheep here my voice....' The weather is splendid and a time to take Cassie, for a walk. Plus this whole scripture has created a hunger for time alone with God, to hear His voice.

In Jesus,
Aeryck.
:-P

2005/6/22 3:03Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

"What is Truth?"

Here's the answer from the Lord Jesus:

[b]"Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth."[/b] - John 17:17

RT

2005/6/22 3:12Profile