SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question on assessing a fellowship

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Sree

Question on assessing a fellowship

Suppose you go to a fellowship of believers and decides to meet with them every single meeting. What factors will you use to judge them? If they have a famous Bible teacher whom the fellowship regards highly then how will you judge them whether they are following a man's teaching or Gods?

I have never been a fellowship hunter, within 1 year of my coming to Christ, God faithfully took me to Godly Churches with whom I am still associated. Hence I want to know the perspective of those who have seen multiple fellowships, the dark side of things.

The reason I am asking this question is to understand the reactions of people who visit the fellowship that I am currently part of. Trying to understand how they will judge us etc.

2017/6/13 12:54Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Question on assessing a fellowship

Brother,

This is a good question and I am sure others will share.

I remember Leonard Ravenhill stating 5 things to look for in the preaching, a few of these are: Hell, Eternity, etc

Sincerity and Authenticy is important to me also a reliance on prayer and waiting on God. Sometimes it is easy to know when someone is singing a few song if its the thing to do rather then an opportunity to worship and meet with the living God.

When church members are speaking of eternal things after the service is another marker that they are true disciples and being discipled right. It is not just about hearing a message but each individual growing as part of the body of Christ.

2017/6/13 19:59Profile
Sree

Re:

Thank you Greg for your inputs, to sum up these are the points that you look for,

1. Sincerity and Authenticy is important to me also a reliance on prayer and waiting on God.

2. When church members are speaking of eternal things after the service is another marker that they are true disciples and being discipled right.

I am looking for inputs like this.

Suppose the fellowship you joined recently hears a particular Bible teacher like Paul Washer or Wilkerson or Zac Poonen, then how do you judge whether they have become disciples of this particular Bible teacher or they just consider his teachings alone.

2017/6/14 10:39Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re: Question on assessing a fellowship

It depends very much on the person and his/her relationship to God! I can speak of what I've gone through...

The first impression is of course of the way every meeting is organised (prayer, worship, sharing, even seriousness during the meeting) etc. I think we tend often to look for a church that more or less looks like the church we have visited before. (I hope, I've outgrown that now). But that's the first thing.

Secondly, the maturity of the elders and the doctrine. Usually when I visited a church for a first time (for alas, I have visited many churches in my searching), I spoke with the pastor or the leader. I want to understand usually what's the basic doctrine of the church. But I know that there may be people who may have the same Christian manifesto but very different understanding on "What should the normal Christian life look like?" or what is the grace of God. So just because we agree on doctrine, doesn't mean we have the same mind.

Personally I think that the assessment of a local church for me comes after visiting 2-3 meetings. That may be "pretty fast" for some, but personally I think that by this time I have tasted enough of the spiritual atmosphere and could make rough assessment without knowing all details. For example at one church, later came up issues that clearly showed me that "something" was wrong and I left.

The other thing that's pretty important is fellowship. And I hope you really understand what I mean. Not some minutes just speaking about God, but believers sharing in small groups even after the service their burdens and their joys, their hearts glorifying God spontaneously! It is so wonderful! And it is sometimes so rare...! We should always renew our mind, so that we don't turn into a church with much traditions and no life...

One last note, those that come and are really born again believers - take time to know them and to speak with them. Or even some of the brethren in the church. Don't take people in the church as objects or visitors. Cause there is often a hungry soul, desiring to be fed; or a broken heart that dares not reveal itself... All people should be welcomed (but I speak now particularly of believers).

I came with a broken heart in a number of churches... and sometimes I could not speak with the pastor because I had a feeling that he will not understand at all what I was talking about. Broken heart comes often after broken relationship (between the church and an individual). Because, being part of a church is a commitment, not hobby...

2017/6/14 15:40Profile
Sree

Re:

Thank you Sister Esther for your inputs.

Quote:

One last note, those that come and are really born again believers - take time to know them and to speak with them.

I always believed in it. Primary reason is to see what they are looking for in our fellowship, to sense their spirit etc.
But there are people who do not want to indulge with new comers until they see them getting committed. One possible reason is to avoid getting close to them when they can part away anytime. Another could be to avoid trying to pull them when we wait for God to bring them back.

I kind of take a middle position.

Quote:

Because, being part of a church is a commitment, not hobby...

Well said sister. I am not excited by the number of visitors we have. It is only the committed ones, who bind themselves with us are more important to me.

2017/6/14 17:56Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

"And when Saul was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: but they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple."

I understand your fear... and I am too sometimes afraid of committing myself too fast to a fellowship. I do not believe that you should pull anybody to do anything... But getting close to them even if they perhaps could leave doesn't hurt so much I think. I think it hurts more the individual that leaves the church, rather than the church! You cannot loose much, I think...

On the other hand, suppose this person can be there only for couple of months or an year - and then he moves to another town let's say - even so won't it be wonderful to fellowship with somebody who walks with God?! Suppose that Elisha passes by or perhaps an Apollos. Who knows what God is going to do of that vessel? Therefore do not be afraid to invest your time in those, who love the Lord! And to those that hate him, show them the love of Chirst - that God may be all in all! :)

2017/6/16 8:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy