SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Senator Bernie Sanders attacks nominee Russel Vought for being Christian

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Senator Bernie Sanders attacks nominee Russel Vought for being Christian

"Senator Bernie Sanders attacks nominee Russel Vought for being Christian "

Sanders confronted Vought during the congressional hearing. The following is a transcript provided by FRC:
Sen. Sanders: "'Muslims do not simply have a deficient theology. They do not know God because they have rejected Jesus Christ, His Son, and they stand condemned.' Do you believe that that statement is Islamophobic?"
Mr. Vought: "Absolutely not, Senator. I'm a Christian, and I believe in a Christian set of principles based on my faith...
Sanders: "...Forgive me, we just don't have a lot of time. Do you believe people in the Muslim religion stand condemned? Is that your view?"
Vought: "Again, Senator, I'm a Christian, and I wrote that piece in accordance with the statement of faith at Wheaton College..."
Sanders: "I understand that. I don't know how many Muslims there are in America. Maybe a couple million. Are you suggesting that these people stand condemned? What about Jews? Do they stand condemned too?"
Vought: "Senator, I'm a Christian..."
Sanders [shouting]: "I understand you are a Christian, but this country [is] made of people who are not just -- I understand that Christianity is the majority religion, but there are other people of different religions in this country and around the world. In your judgment, do you think that people who are not Christians are going to be condemned?"
Vought: "Thank you for probing on that question. As a Christian, I believe that all individuals are made in the image of God and are worthy of dignity and respect regardless of their religious beliefs. I believe that as a Christian that's how I should treat all individuals..."
Sanders: "...Do you think that's respectful of other religions?... I would simply say, Mr. Chairman that this nominee is really not someone who this country is supposed to be about."
As Perkins pointed out, salvation through Jesus Christ is a core biblical tenet held by Christians for millennia.
"Yet Senator Sanders is making it clear that he believes the U.S. Senate should disqualify nominees who express this most basic biblical belief," Perkins said.
"Americans should never be forced to choose between their faith and public service. Nor should the U.S. Senate try to impose a stealth litmus test that says 'you can be religious as long as you don't actually believe or talk about what the Bible teaches.'"
After Sanders' wrapped up his rant, David French wrote a powerful rebuke of Sanders for National Review. ** **"There is nothing 'extreme' about his statements, and they mirror the statements of faith of countless Christian churches and schools across the land," French wrote. "Are these believers also not fit for public office?"
It's a fair question and one that I posed to Sen. Sanders' office. Does he believe Christians are unfit to hold public office?
The senator's press office did not answer that question directly.
"The question at hand is not about Mr. Vought's freedom to hold certain religious beliefs," the senator's spokesman told me. "The question that concerns Sen. Sanders is whether Mr. Vought will carry out the duties of his office in a way that treats all Americans equally, even those whose beliefs he has criticized."
It was an ugly moment in American politics, but it was also an instructional moment for American Christians.
Progressives and secularists are waging a brutal assault on people of faith - and it's only gotten worse since President Trump took office. I predicted that would happen in my latest book, "The Deplorables Guide to Making America Great Again."****
People of faith must stand together and renounce anti-Christian bigots and bigotry - especially when those bigots walk the halls of Congress.

2017/6/9 21:09Profile
docs

Re: Senator Bernie Sanders attacks nominee Russel Vought for being Christian

I wonder if Mr. Sanders would be surprised and as derogatory to know that Muslims believe you are condemned if you do not believe in Muhammad as the final and ultimate prophet through which Allah will judge the world.

2017/6/10 10:58Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Ha! I thought the same thing brother David-

2017/6/10 14:06Profile
Renoncer

VOTE

Let's take a vote:

Do you think that this scenario sounds more like Matthew 27, Acts 7, Mark 13, or Revelation 12?

Personally, I think that Bernie Sanders sounds like the chief priest accusing Stephen, which is reminiscent of the chief priest accusing Jesus, which is prophesied in Mark 13 and Revelation 12.

Bernie Sanders is doing the work of the devil, searching out Christians and putting them on trial for their faith in Jesus Christ. Behold, systemic persecution of Christians has arrived to America.

Let's pray that we would keep the faith and bear testimony to the gospel in this hour of trial.

2017/6/10 23:14Profile
Sanctum

Re: VOTE

I think we should be careful not to personalize. It is the will of God that none perish but all come to repentance. We fight not against flesh and blood....
May your response be against or for an idea and not a person. The person doesn't have to be mentioned.

2017/6/30 20:54Profile
docs

Re:

I don't quite agree that Mr. Sanders shouldn't be mentioned by name. He should be specifically pointed out by name as should anyone else in Congress who follows the same pattern. It doesn't mean you can't continue to pray for them.

2017/6/30 23:29Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy