Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Martyr

United States

Matthew 5:5

Hi all. I'm looking for some thoughts on Matthew 5:5:

Blessed are the meek:
for they shall inherit the earth.

This verse came up in a discussion I had with some brethren tonight. The problem we faced is that our inheritance is a heavenly one as in 1 Peter 1:4: Unto an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that can not fade, reserved in heaven for you

If you look at the word inheritance in the New Testament

(https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?qs_version=KJV&quicksearch=inheritance&begin=47&end=73)

our inheritance is almost always inferred as being a spiritual inheritance and the Spirit is "the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory."

We also know this earth is going to be destroyed, but Jesus doesn't say the new earth in Matt. 5:5 He just says the earth.

Any thoughts?

2017/6/7 23:09Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Matthew 5:5

Psalm 37:9-11 For evildoers shall be cut off; But those who wait on the Lord, They shall inherit the earth. For yet a little while and the wicked shall be no more; Indeed, you will look carefully for his place, But it shall be no more. But the meek shall inherit the earth, And shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

2017/6/8 7:10Profile
Martyr

United States

Re:

Hi TMK! The problem I see is that our inheritance is not of this earth, ours is a heavenly inheritance. I know a little people use these verses to promote dominion theology. New question: How can that be refuted when they use these two verses to prove their point?

2017/6/8 8:38Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

For those of us who understand from the scripture that there will be a literal 1000 year reign of Christ on this earth after His return and before the New heavens and earth, this is not a problem, but confirms the pre-millennial view.

It is true that as believers our Kingdom is not of this world (as it is under the rule of Satan), but our kingdom is in Heaven. However the bible teaches that the rule of Christ and heaven will be established on earth when He returns with His people ruling and judging in His government (e.g Luke 22:30 Luke 19:17). Our inheritance is Christ's Kingdom whether that be in Heaven (now) or on earth (later) or on the New earth (ultimately).

2017/6/8 8:58Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I read Matthew Henry's commentary and he feels genuinely meek people WILL generally profit materially in this life, because for lack of a better word their likeability. He feels that this beatitude speaks to the physical realm.

I guess I have not thought that hard about this beatitude before; I guess i always thought it referred to the "new" earth but I can see it both ways.

2017/6/8 9:16Profile
proudpapa

Re:

"They do in the truest sense enjoy even this life; their contented spirit makes them monarchs. The great man, with all his wealth, is often uneasy with a craving ambition for more; but the quiet spirits of God’s people find a kingdom everywhere. The mountains and the valleys belong really to him who can, with happy eye, look upon them, and then lift his face to heaven, and feel, “My Father made them all.”
- Spurgeon

That interpretation would be consistant with other Scripture such as Mark 10 :
29And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, 30But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

2017/6/8 10:01Profile
Martyr

United States

Re:

Does Christ set up an earthly kingdom before or after the resurrection? (I'm at work and don't have a bible handy)

2017/6/8 11:00Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hey Tyler-

It depends on ones eschatology. Dave explained his view which is common; I believe the new heavens and earth immediately follows the 2nd coming(while we are in the air at the rapture everything is recreated) and we return to the recreated earth.

2017/6/8 12:29Profile
Martyr

United States

Re:

Thanks TMK. I was thinking if it was talking about a physical literal kingdom on earth then Matt. 5:5 would only really apply to those believers who are alive at that time. Unless a resurrection happened first. I think I'm starting to lean towards Jesus insinuating towards the new earth. Still an interesting verse though

2017/6/8 13:19Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Before or at the 2nd coming of Christ all believers will be raised or changed (raptured) with new imortal bodies (See 2 Thess) This is the 1st resurection and then the 1000 year Kingdom is introduced (Rev 20:4-6).

So all believers will be in the new millennial kingdom not just those who are alive at the time becuase according the Revelation 20 there is aresurection first.

I think you have to do some studying out of these things.

2017/6/8 17:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy