SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : 19 Signs You Are A Part Of The Great Falling Away - Steve Gallagher

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re:

Esther

You said [I can't seem to get the quote function to work for some reason]the following:

"The spiritual life is not a set of checklist (you've probably heard that). And yet there are certain things that indicate that you are becoming colder and colder - and if that doesn't stop death is the consequence! It is the same in medicine! Doctors measure blood pressure, heart rate, oxygenation - these are called vital parameters because they are essential for life. And if your blood pressure is 40/60 - we have a big problem! Life threathening problem!"

I know you are trying to be helpful, but I'm afraid it is having the the opposite effect. For 10 years I have wrestled almost daily with thoughts of "you're not born again, you don't have enough fruit, you're going to hell etc" You have added just one more voice to the crowd.

And tell me, what am I to do if the signs tell me I'm not born again? Which revivalist answer is correct?

Do I undertake a great period of spiritually flogging myself, counting my sins, doing as many religious activities as possible, and hope God will save me at the end of it, though he may not if he hasn't predesntined me? (Jonathan Edwards, the puritans)

Similarly, do I grovel before God, pray and wait for him to zap me with the witness of the Spirit? (John Wesley, Leonard Ravenhill)

Or do I just decide to start being a Christian, love God, and stop sinning by the mere act of my will?(Charles Finney)

Needless to say, I've done all these things in some form, and been through various rituals of repentance. I cry out to God often for faith, change of heart, and assurance etc.

I'm not going to say that there is no fruit that I can discern in my life - there is (and others would agree). However, I rountinely fail these wretched salvation tests, and checklists such as the one in the OP.

Am I saved? Does God even want to save me? Is he even good?

I wrestle with these questions, despite having (I think) an above average knowledge of scripture.

2017/6/18 18:59
noone

United States

Re:

Butters,
I hear what you are saying! In fact I have struggled with the very things you have mentioned. It has only been through a direct revelation to my soul that I am loved by God, the Creator of the Universe has my life changed...even after growing up and spending decades going to "church" and knowing that I believe in Jesus, that I have repented and also knowing that I am going deeper in to Christ, but still I never felt the overwhelming love and grace and mercy that others spoke of... only droplets.

I still will pray "Lord forgive my unbelief....Lord help my unbelief" when the enemy of doubt and fear try to attack me, then I rebuke and quote God's word to begin to renew my mind again and I still pray every day for a deeper revelation of God and His love to my innermost being. God's revelation NOT MAN'S IDEAS OR SERMONS OR THOUGHTS of how salvation looks.

But I wanted to give you a link to a free pdf book that was/is instrumental in my walk. I try to read this once a year at least. I pray it will help start you on your own journey of revelation of living greatly loved by our Father. You will probably love the title to the first chapter :)!

https://www.lifestream.org/sites/default/files/--pdf/he_loves_me_1st_edition.pdf

2017/6/19 13:04Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

Jon,

I did not answer so long because I don't really know how to... for now I can give you only two advices:

- "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29)
- speak with godly elders / pastor if possible

"Am I saved?" - I cannot answer that question for you.
But yes God is good and He wants to save you. Seek Him... I'll pray for you and I currently really cannot give you any other advice except - Seek Him!

May the Lord lead you!

2017/6/28 12:57Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Jon-

The fact that you are asking the question at all is a very good question.

I don't know of any unsaved persons going around asking if they are saved.

2017/6/28 13:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy